HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:51 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
453 Posts
I believe the Q-Tee really lived (lives) up to its name.
On the other hand it slots in well as a basic trainer (intended design purpose) whereas the S-Tee never really did find a niche. Anybody wanting a higher performance 1/2A had more offerings (and possibly better) to choose from in the market.

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:25 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvaire View Post
.........I think the Q-Tee came along first, which probably accounts for its greater popularity vs. the S-Tee.
The Q-Tee came out in 1/76. The S-Tee did indeed come along later on 4/78. Both were published in RCM.

andrew
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Feb 14, 2011, 09:59 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,998 Posts
IF you rebuild one Do make it lighter... as it's fairly easy to cut 1/3rd or more off the airframe weight by using more 'moderne' methods.
Original House of Balsa planes were seriously overbuilt things, of usually double the weight deemed appropriate these days..
This Really Does help it's flying ability.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:50 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Not the Honker, Andrew, just a parasol version, the Lil Gypsy. One of the other guys had a Q-Tee, not much difference in performance.

My recent one has a true slimer on it, a Merlin Diesel, soon to be replaced by a PAW80. It ain't worth redoing it for electric...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:10 AM
North of the Golden Gate
Joined Sep 2004
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
IF you rebuild one Do make it lighter... as it's fairly easy to cut 1/3rd or more off the airframe weight by using more 'moderne' methods.
Original House of Balsa planes were seriously overbuilt things, of usually double the weight deemed appropriate these days..
This Really Does help it's flying ability.
Did HOB also kit the Q-Tee? I know it was an RCM article and plan, but I though it was only kitted by Airtronics in its day.
silvaire is offline Find More Posts by silvaire
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:15 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Not the Honker, Andrew, just a parasol version, the Lil Gypsy.
That's a cute one --- and one that I had not seen before. It looks a lot like the Honker Bipe without the lower wing.

Thanks for posting.

andrew
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Feb 15, 2011, 03:45 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,943 Posts
Many years ago, back round 1981 we used to stage Q-Tee races. Everyone had to use a Cox Black Widow engine on a Q-tee plane. Two rc channels, and the club provided the fuel.
it was great at the time, as most all the heats were neck and neck as the planes were all so evenly matched.
I flew several Q-tees over the years. they are great planes and lots of fun too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:39 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvaire View Post
Did HOB also kit the Q-Tee? I know it was an RCM article and plan, but I though it was only kitted by Airtronics in its day.
Correct, Silvaire.

The Q-Tee was built pretty light, I always thought (but it's been a while..)

The Airtronics kits of that era were really well done. I still have an S-Tee kit in the shop, thinking about building it w/ ailerons (maybe) and a Cox Golden Bee.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:04 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,998 Posts
Yesss .. you are correct. I went and dug out my Q Tee's box and plan to be sure. It is/was an Airtronics kit. My Piet'npol was /is an HB kit.. it's wayyy heavy though.
Still, QTee is heavier than it should be.
The drill on mine was to spiral it up and up until the Black Widow ran out of fuel, then spiral it down as slowly as possible.
With 'lectric power and a serious weight reduction (some airframe changes, but mostly radio in truth) it's almost aerobatic :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 17, 2011, 07:24 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Only thing I found I needed to do to my Q-Tee, is to replace the cabance struts with spruce. After breaking the kit ones a couple of times.

And I agree, the Q-Tee filled a nice trainer niche, where as the next step up gave MANY choices.

I still have a Sure Flite 1/2A Baby Turkey that was my shoulder wing choice.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:53 AM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,310 Posts
Mmmm... Reminds me: I haven't fondled my S-Tee kit in a while. Gonna be a fun build one of these days.
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:54 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
453 Posts
I found this little guy hibernating in the basement, he has been there for 30 years. (the dust is testament)

The Q-Tee is one of two I built in the late 70ís. The model is undamaged (woodwork) I will give it a thorough look over (glue joints etc)

He deserves a new recover and re-commissioning with new RC.

The bits and piece in the other photo were in a bag with the Q-Tee.

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
Last edited by mikmerl; Feb 28, 2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 05:28 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Q-Tees!! I built one at Luke AFB, when I was there in 1988. A good friend of mine and I took the little feller WAY the heck out in the desert, found a place that looked safe and away from ANYTHING, lit the .049 up and flew it..till we got "jumped" by a pair of F-15's on either final or base. I had no idea that they went that far out in the pattern. Anyway, although I didn't have a throttle, I spiraled her down, stuffed her in the bushes, which killed the engine, and put her in the trunk..I think we decided to go have pizza, and returned to base later that night. Didn't pull the q-Tee out of the trunk for a couple of days if I remember right..
Cash
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:44 PM
Bristol, Maine
Joined Dec 2004
285 Posts
Cabanes (which broke upon hanger rash antics by kids and dogs) were 6 cut down popsicle sticks of which my 4 kids keep me fully supplied in the 70's.. Golden Bee is gone but the rest remains in basement along with a hoard of electrics just to remind me where I started. Donated the Kraft brick (and it was a brick) to ???? John Sard
daddysard is offline Find More Posts by daddysard
Last edited by daddysard; Mar 06, 2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Dumb Thumbs
Old Mar 22, 2011, 02:06 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,173 Posts
My first kit built at 11-12 y/o in 1981 was a Q-Tee! I put a TD on it and ripped the wing off. NOTE: Stick with the lower power .049s!
It was a cute plane but we had already moved up to .25-.40 ships so I didnt keep it flying. Shame I threw it away.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx