HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:39 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
Discussion
1/2A Q-Tee Lee Renaud design 1976

I built two of these great little Lee Renaud designed Q-Tee’s (RCM magazine plan 1976) about 30 years ago and enjoyed them very much.

If I recall the wingspan is 36” (flat bottom airfoil) and this little bird can thermal for a long time after the engines quits on a good day.

They were both powered by Cox .049 engines a Black Widow and a Golden Bee.

The one flew away (a friend asked if he could fly the model and he forgot to turn the Rx switch on. As we watched the model slowly become a speck in the sky and then disappear completely, I received a “scolding” for having trimmed the model so well.

The other I still have and intend to restore it and convert it to electric power.
I highly recommend anyone who is thinking of this size model to give it a try he will not be disappointed.
Lee really did fantastic designs.

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
Last edited by mikmerl; Feb 11, 2011 at 12:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:26 PM
Canada, MB, Oakbank
Joined Dec 2004
690 Posts
Cool. Great older pictures. I love the Tx you got there. I believe it to be a gold box Futaba. I have one myself, practically new, in new condition and still holds a charge. Love the older stuff.
NEW222 is offline Find More Posts by NEW222
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:10 AM
Cox Engine Hoarder
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Jun 2004
571 Posts
groovy shades!
Jason_WI is offline Find More Posts by Jason_WI
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:38 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
Groovy, now there’s a 70’s term.

Don’t knock the shades.

30 years later (and thirty kilograms heavier)

I am still wearing exactly the same style shades (some habits are hard to kick)

Oh yes and at some point during that time I decided to dye my hair a more fashionable grey color.

mike
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:43 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
new 222 I also enjoy the older stuff and it all still works fine
The Tx in the photo is not the gold box it is and older version that is covered with a grainy beige vinyl.
I have the gold as well and quite a bunch of the older transmitters even an EK Logictrol.

mike
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:04 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
578 Posts
My first powered model was a Q-Tee. I still have the wings in my basement. I had a lot of fun flying that thing with a Cox Black Widow until the rod broke through the top of the piston. I really need to build a new one. Thanks for sharing.

Jim
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:48 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,844 Posts
Love the Qtee. Just got back from flying my 2X sized version. (Yes it's electric so don't tell the E guys I posted here.)

My first plane 30 years ago was a Qtee. Many crashes and rebuilds with it but I had a blast. I still have the Black Widow from it. I have 3 Qtees in the garage as well has the 2X version still flying. You can see the thread here on them all. Not sure how long the thread will be there as it was thrown in the bit bucket but it is still accessible.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481564

Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Feb 11, 2011, 04:03 PM
USA, GA, Stockbridge
Joined Apr 2008
20 Posts
Q tee

Anyone rekitting the Q TEE? hey flew great.
madmaxx11 is offline Find More Posts by madmaxx11
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:10 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
As far as availability is concerned this is all I have seen but I don’t believe that they stock it anymore.

http://www.aerosphereonline.com/mm5/...e=Power-Planes

On the other hand you could simply scratch build from the plans which are still available from RCM who originally published it back in 1996. It is a very easy plane to build and would be a great experience for somebody doing it the first time.

http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1444

Later (1978) there was also another version available that was more of a “hot flier” having done away with the parasol wing mounting.

http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1537
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:10 PM
Joined May 2010
38 Posts
Q-tee

lazer-works.com has a laser cut short kit but no plans.

Bob
fit90 is offline Find More Posts by fit90
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:09 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
My first successful RC airplane was a Q-tee with a Baby Bee. RS Sytems 3 channel radio.

The fuselage is still in my basement, not sure where the wings are, may be at my parents house.

Fun little plane.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:15 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I built Thornburg's equivalent; he kitted it in the 70s, using his Jedelsky-type wing. Worked VERY well, built another recently, will try for a pic tomorrow...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:29 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
I built Thornburg's equivalent; he kitted it in the 70s, using his Jedelsky-type wing. Worked VERY well, built another recently, will try for a pic tomorrow...
Were you referring to the Honker?
Andrew0820 is online now Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:24 PM
Joined Aug 2006
416 Posts
I've built three. the first one in the 1970s was powered by a cox QRC engine. i taught myself to fly on it, and eventually built a replacement shoulder wing fuselage to replace the original.
I built another one in college in the 80s, and powered it with a cox black widow, with an exhaust restrictor throttle.
Finally, i bought a laser cut kit from aerosphere and built one two years ago that is still fly, with a 400xt motor and 3s lipo. It performs better than the cox-powered ones, and i even had fun flying it from water with foam floats!
phoran is offline Find More Posts by phoran
Old Feb 14, 2011, 02:04 PM
North of the Golden Gate
Joined Sep 2004
285 Posts
I've always liked the looks of the Q-Tee (it reminds me of a Pietenpol), but I've never understood its greater popularity vs. the simpler S-Tee.

They are basically the same design, but you have to build the cabane structure as well as a hatch for the Q-Tee. Access to the fuselage is a little more hassle too, with the cabane structure a bit in the way.

I think the Q-Tee came along first, which probably accounts for its greater popularity vs. the S-Tee. Also, I suppose the S-Tee looked a lot like many other designs such as the very popular and earlier Goldberg Jr. Falcon.

Maybe the S-Tee just didn't stand out from the crowd like the Q-Tee did.
silvaire is offline Find More Posts by silvaire
Last edited by silvaire; Feb 14, 2011 at 02:11 PM.