HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:28 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Build Log
LX A-10 W/New rclander 72mm dps edf units & new electric rclander metal retracts

My intentions on this thread is to provide a comprehensive build on the New LX A-10. This is the source and version im doing http://shop.hobbyshopwarehouse.com/A...LD-LX-A-10.htm I personally dont care where everyone gets theirs from or going to get, or if they just plainly love A-10's and want to join in the build. The idea is too help each other with informative and constructive ideas. So I do invite all to join in with suggestions, comments on how someone else or myself has done something or to ask questions.

Now onto the build of this very nice offering from LX....

Im very impressed with the time and efforts LX has made to pack this plane in its box and individually wrapped, bubble buffers and packing taped all in place. Mine had ZERO damage from shipping. This is a very nice looking edf, ive been drooling over it for the past several hrs The finish is exceptional and im glad to see that they provide a decal sheet. The manual is actually useful (amazing) beyond just a cg reference guide. There is alot of parts in the box. Ive got that child on xmas morning feeling
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Last edited by olwarbirds; Mar 10, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:37 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Wow lots of parts, only miss ive seen so far is that one of my lg nacelles nose is painted black while the other is the base gray in color. Came with 4 tubes of glue, wonder if its worth using on anything?? The pilot looks good too, doubt ill be doing the cockpit ejection setup, but havnt really decided on that yet. I do know i wont be doing the smoke. The lights and smoke setup is not included in the kit version, which is ok with me because i didnt care for the multicolored lights in nose of the cannon.....The steering servo is included and already installed...The retracts look really good, im impressed.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:47 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Im going to be using for my build the following components....
New RCLander 6s 72mm dps edf units
2 skywing/hobbywing 100 amp esc's
external 5amp bec
2x3s 5000mah 45c lipos
esc programming for rclander edf units
Motor Start = Normal
Throttle Response = Linear
Timing = Higher
PWM = 8KHz ... Very Important
Current Limiting = standard
Brake=off

All the above is on order and should be in my hands sometime next week...
Here is a vid so yall can hear how nice these rclander dps units sound..nice !!!

RCLander F16D w 6S dynamic power series edf testing flight video.wmv (3 min 51 sec)
Last edited by olwarbirds; Feb 11, 2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:48 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
call me on the flying day ... just kidding.. good luck with the build. Im sure the first hard part will be fitting the DPS units in the nacelles
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:54 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
The sound of two of these dps units is gonna be amazing...

Im also going to be trying out a new 9chnl radio and im going to be doing a new Idea ive have had on a coating for eps foamies. Im going to see if marine grade epoxy finishing resin does anything to strengthen and protect eps foam without having to use any fiberglass cloth. Zpoxy finishing resin is similar to what im going to use but. Hobby grade expoxies are only a 1-1 mix ratio, which is fine for us hobbyist but good quality epoxies are at least a 3-1 mix ratio. The marine finishing resin im going to use is a 4-1 mix ratio, so it will flow better and have a clearer look, very much like gel coating on a fiberglass boat.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:57 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
call me on the flying day ... just kidding.. good luck with the build. Im sure the first hard part will be fitting the DPS units in the nacelles
Heya Pav welcome to the build man, tks ...a good friend of mine measured the inside of the nacelles for me already and it sounds like its gonna be no prob at all, but we shall see as in any new product build ya just never know. But im totally up to the challenge of tryn it guy .... DJ
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:57 PM
Joined Jan 2010
752 Posts
Lights and smoke!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
wow lots of parts, only miss ive seen so far is that one of my lg nacelles nose is painted black while the other is the base gray in color. Came with 4 tubes of glue, wonder if its worth using on anything?? The pilot looks good too, doubt ill be doing the cockpit ejection setup, but havnt really decided on that yet. I do know i wont be doing the smoke. The lights and smoke setup is not included in the kit version, which is ok with me because i didnt care for the multicolored lights in nose of the cannon.....the steering servo is included and already installed...the retracts look really good, im impressed.
lights an smoke is available upon request , also hsw suggested scale A-10 lights will be from rc lander or we can order the non scale multi color canon lights a-10 lx kit version
FLYGUY24/7 is offline Find More Posts by FLYGUY24/7
Last edited by FLYGUY24/7; Feb 10, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:15 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
708 Posts
...Glad to hear to recieved the new A-10 DJ!!...really looking forward to following along on the build...i have the airframe also, and am installing the new RClander DPS units with the 100amp ESC's from HSW, and adding the 5A bec for electronic protection. i sure agree with you, this is a beautiful kit and it's going together easily!....DJ, the single black tip on the nacelle bothered me on other Warthogs, but looking thru many fotos, that's how they come...
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Heya Phil, welcome to the build my friend. OK tks for info on that lg nacelle color thing, ive never noticed that on the real ones. WOW one of my favorite more modern jets and didnt know that fact.
Thanks Chuck for info on the light packages, think im going to get some lights from ya for this one, its just too nice not to make it scale as possible..so more stuff to add to my gotta do on this one
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:38 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
expected 58yrs plus of service

The A-10 was designed around the GAU-8 Avenger, a heavy automatic cannon which forms the aircraft's primary armament. The aircraft's hull incorporates over 1,200 pounds (540 kg) of armor and was designed with survivability as a priority, with protective measures in place which enable the aircraft to continue flying even after taking significant damage.

The A-10's official name comes from the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt of World War II, a fighter that was particularly effective at close air support. The A-10 is more commonly known by its nickname "Warthog" or simply "Hog".[4] As a secondary mission, it provides airborne forward air control, guiding other aircraft against ground targets. A-10s used primarily in this role are designated OA-10.[5] The A-10 is expected to be replaced in 2028 or later
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:41 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Anybody having questions or needing photos of a certain thing, pls just ask. I will do my best to get you detailed pics... DJ
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:07 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,701 Posts
Ahhhhhh yeahhhhhh, get at it DJ. This is going to be a sweet hawg when it's all done.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:16 PM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jul 2010
1,097 Posts
Thats a nice looking A-10 I have been looking to build one of my own for some time, but I want one that will hold up to landing on tight/nice grass. How dose that landing gear look? Is there a servo per gear? Are you going to upgread the servo for the gears with mg?
mikes68charger is offline Find More Posts by mikes68charger
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Heya Tommy buds, if the chinese wud get off there 2 months worth of holidays all my backordered stuff wud come in and i cud get three of the builds i got goin done...yes this is a very sweet A-10, have to say its one of the nicer foam edf's in appearances ive gotten so far..very impressed

Mike heya man, welcome to the build. The lg are electric, worm gear type and to me appear to be very durable. They definately dont look or feel cheaply made. I dont see them being a big problem on a good tight bermuda grass landing strip... I will post some better pics of the lg shortly for yall... DJ
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:23 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
I have a question about your fans being a friend got a couple after reading the thrust was supposed to be 1.9kg or 4.25 pounds but the pair didn't even come close on a pair of 2650 40c 6s packs paralleled. He somehow coaxed them up to 3.8lb from 3.25 but not much better. I'm going to suggest individual packs to individual ESC's then ad a fusible bridge if worried about an outage and equal drainage. back on track Do you have any input as to the lack of thrust?
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member