HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:19 AM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,193 Posts
Discussion
A look inside the HK Fox EPO 2.3M Glider

This is the first airplane I have ordered from Hobby King. Price including shipping was very reasonable. It cost less than buying a radian pro from the LHS. Nothing against the LHS! I support them! I excercize my right to buy what I want and like, and not what the big distributors think I should buy! If the LHs had the cohones to carry this product, I would have bought it from them,, even at a substantial mark up.

That being said... The package arrived quickly, with all my extra ordered items very well secured inside, and very few problems.

As of today its not been test flown. I have no doubt it will be fantastic.

Unlike every single other epo plane I have bought,, this glider is glass smooth! No molding zits!!

Its a big model!
topforce is offline Find More Posts by topforce
Last edited by topforce; Feb 10, 2011 at 11:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:23 AM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,193 Posts
Check out the proprietary motor!

Motor is very much like a big MP Jet outrunner. Upon closer inspection the leads are well secured to the windings. Attachment is just like an mpjet or pjs motor. Its a large bearing carier tube that gets clamped into a plastic tube mount by 2 screws. Any thrust angle adjustments need to be made by unscrewing the plastic mount and using washers. A true modeler should have no problem.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:33 AM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,193 Posts
Radio Compartment and hatch

The radio and battery compartment is HUGE. Servos are nicely mounted on a clear plastic plate that is molded,, or glued into the foam. Servos are screwed in. Pushrods are steel wire inside plastic snakes. I need to get better pics! The canopy attachment is exactly like a multiplex canopy latch. My pilot came unseated on the trip from HK. He does not move,, and I am reluctant to unglue the canopy just to re seat him. So far,, thats my only complaint!

Battery compartment is molded in to the rear of the hatch area. In front of that is empty save for the proprietary 30 amp esc. A cooling duct in the nose lets air in and through the hatch area,, and it exits on bottom under the wing. Its a substantial duct, not an afterthought!

The fuselage seems very robust just by the looks of the hatch area. Nose is plenty thick enough for rough handling. Like any model,, a crash will mess up the looks,, but this model will be a survivor!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:42 AM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,193 Posts
Wings

The wings are quite stiff. An aluminum tube is molded in from root to tip! The ailerons have a glued in spar, black,, I'm guessing carbon,, but may be fiberglass. Same thing for horizontal stab, and elevator. Both have black spar glued in, and covered with plastic tape. Aileron servos pre installed, and long servo extensions secured under white plastic tape.

Airfoil is undercambered and with a "thin enough" trailing edge. In all I feel the wing should be fine for low and medium speed soaring. Aileron linkages are not installed. They are secured in a plastic baggy. Hardware is of typical foam arf quality,, very much like a TWM or HP arf or kit. Good enough,,, but do lock the clevises in place on the threaded rods with some hot glue or similar.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:56 AM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,193 Posts
Let me know if you would like more detailed pics or descriptions. I will not be finishing or flying this any time soon. There are already flight reports and even videos.

I can however dig deeper into the guts and answer more questions regarding the components, and factory build.

Oh, the prop..about 12 inches probably metric... with 1 7/8 inch spinner back plate. I bet cam prop blades will fit! Cone is a snap on deal. No markings on blades for actual size or pitch. Its all fairly light weight,, and there is a slight wobble from the cone. I am not going to change it for first flights. Looks like it should be fine.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:17 PM
JMRC Cub Driver
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Sep 2003
211 Posts
TopForce.....right on with the review so far. I got mine on the 11th and did the maiden today. My pilot was fine and was still in place. The only problem I had was the rudder had no movement when you move the pushrod. Something in the linkage was loose inside the fuse/vert tail to the rudder. Without major surgery there was no way to fix it, so I ran a new pushrod down the fuse to a conventional set up. Here is a vid from today.........BTW it is nice having 72 degrees and light wind here in SoCal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx6YBzDhR08
qm1usn is offline Find More Posts by qm1usn
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:41 AM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,193 Posts
I was pretty excited to see the hidden linkage in the rudder, but I too noticed a lack of movement when I manually activated the rudder pushrod.

I will dicect it and see if anything can be done.

Great video!