HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2011, 01:00 AM
Joined Feb 2011
3 Posts
Help!
Venom GPV-1 Front Sprocket Stuck

While replacing the 11t front sprocket that came with my bike to a 12t that was also included, I got as far as removing VEN-0265, the little screw that secures the sprocket on the driveshaft. However, the front sprocket is still stuck on there real good. It can wiggle maybe a couple degrees and moves forward and backward about a millimeter but won't budge off the driveshaft. I've tried WD-40, levering, all sorts of stuff. Any ideas?
FuzzyWuzzyBear is offline Find More Posts by FuzzyWuzzyBear
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 01:42 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzyBear View Post
While replacing the 11t front sprocket that came with my bike to a 12t that was also included, I got as far as removing VEN-0265, the little screw that secures the sprocket on the driveshaft. However, the front sprocket is still stuck on there real good. It can wiggle maybe a couple degrees and moves forward and backward about a millimeter but won't budge off the driveshaft. I've tried WD-40, levering, all sorts of stuff. Any ideas?
Get a deep-well socket thats just big enough to be the same diameter of the collar on the sproket and place it with the shaft on the open end of the socket. Then tap it out lightly. If you have a small vise use it also. if all else fails, use a lighter and heat up the sprocket being its brass it should heat up quickly and tap out smoothly. Just dont bend the shaft.
621clay is offline Find More Posts by 621clay
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:23 AM
Joined Feb 2011
3 Posts
Unfortunately, I cannot remove the driveshaft from the bike completely to try your method. On the other end of the shaft, where the spur gear is, the metal bearing inside the chain tensioner will also not come past its respective flatspot on the driveshaft, making the whole assembly stuck inside the body.

Edit: Just got that bearing free with WD-40. Now for the sprocket...
Last edited by FuzzyWuzzyBear; Feb 10, 2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:35 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
I had this on a nouva faor, where the grubscrew tightens down on the flat on the layshaft it chews it up and kicks up abit of a burr, it takes abit of force to get the sprocket off!
the bigger diameter nf layshaft can take abit of force though.. not too sure about the little 1/8th scale ones
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:05 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzyBear View Post
Unfortunately, I cannot remove the driveshaft from the bike completely to try your method. On the other end of the shaft, where the spur gear is, the metal bearing inside the chain tensioner will also not come past its respective flatspot on the driveshaft, making the whole assembly stuck inside the body.

Edit: Just got that bearing free with WD-40. Now for the sprocket...
if you plan on getting the up grade stuff just cut or melt the tensioner housing i suppose.
621clay is offline Find More Posts by 621clay
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:28 PM
Joined Feb 2011
3 Posts
Just to update, I finally got the damn thing off the driveshaft and got the new sprocket on there. All in all, with all the delays and stuck bits, the job took me over three hours! I can change the front sprocket on my KTM motard in about 1/3 the time!