HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:56 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Question
Data transfer between different JR TX

Can I transfer data from JR 378 to JR 8103?

It seems the manual of respective transmitter tells data can be transfered between same kind of TX, from JR 378 to another JR 378. Data cannnot be transferred if there is TX MISMATCH.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:40 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,873 Posts
John,

What are you doing with a Japanese radio??!?! I thought only the Chinese could make quality products?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:46 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
Can I transfer data from JR 378 to JR 8103?

It seems the manual of respective transmitter tells data can be transferred between same kind of TX, from JR 378 to another JR 378. Data cannot be transferred if there is TX MISMATCH.
No. You can only transfer data between transmitters that have identical programming. I can transfer between my XP9303 and my X9303 but not between either of those and my XP783 or DX7.

If you think about it, the data being transferred must go into a corresponding slot in the receiving transmitter's memory. Only if the programming is identical do all the necessary slots exist. The programming is quite different between the transmitters you mention (even though there's a family resemblance).
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:38 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
No. You can only transfer data between transmitters that have identical programming. I can transfer between my XP9303 and my X9303 but not between either of those and my XP783 or DX7.

If you think about it, the data being transferred must go into a corresponding slot in the receiving transmitter's memory. Only if the programming is identical do all the necessary slots exist. The programming is quite different between the transmitters you mention (even though there's a family resemblance).
Thanks for your advice.

Is it same with other brands such as Futaba?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:42 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
John,

What are you doing with a Japanese radio??!?! I thought only the Chinese could make quality products?

Andy
I am dumping expensive Japanese radios one by one. JR 378 is the next.
I wanted to transfer stored data to another TX before I sell it.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:47 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
Is it same with other brands such as Futaba?
Pretty much. You can only transfer between very closely related transmitters. Here's from the 9c manual:

CAMPac Memory module - the optional DP-16K CAMPac increases your model storage capability (to 18 models from 12) and allows you to transfer programs to another 9C super transmitter. Note that data cannot be transferred to/from any other model of transmitter (i.e. 8U, 9Z, etc). However, CAMPac which saved the data of the conventional 9C transmitter is convertible for the data of this 9C super transmitter.

Insertion of a CAMPac containing data of a different transmitter type (ex: 9Z) will result in a complete CAMPac data reset and loss of all data.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 10, 2011, 01:47 PM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,962 Posts
Typically you can only transfer data from one NET code to another set with the same NET code.

However, with the XP9303 and X9303, you can transfer model memories, ditto from the X9303 to an X9503.

There is a 3rd party piece of software called Data Exchange which allows transfer from the set to the computer and you can convert the data to another sets format and transfer from the PC to that set. ie... from a 8103 to a PC, convert to 10X format and transfer from PC to 10X.

I'm not sure whether it is still available but no doubt if you did a search on DataXchange, you might be able to source it.
theaton56 is offline Find More Posts by theaton56
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:12 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,382 Posts
DataXchange is no longer available.
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:54 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post

Insertion of a CAMPac containing data of a different transmitter type (ex: 9Z) will result in a complete CAMPac data reset and loss of all data.
Good thing I learned this before I tried.