HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2011, 10:50 PM
USA, MI, Traverse City
Joined Dec 2010
346 Posts
Discussion
Struggling with my next step: msr or mcp x

I am pretty new to helis - only have about 6 weeks of flight time, and all of that with an mcx2 and a CX3. I have not yet flown a fixed pitch, a collective, nor do I own a sim.

Unfortunately, I am hopelessly hooked. I spent more on parts for the CX3 than what I paid for it trying to stabilize it and learn it, but felt extremely proud once I "gained control" and felt more like I was flying it instead of it flying me.

So now I am wanting another and am struggling between the msr and the upcoming mcp x. I have read a ton about both and am beginning to understand how truly difficult the mcp x likely will be.

I am sort of leaning toward the mcp x, but feel like I shouldn't just because most people post about how difficult they are to fly and that fixed is the next logical step. Or that I should at least buy a sim to appreciate the nuances of cp flight before investing in a cp heli. The rub is that a decent sim is almost the price of the mcp x, which is hard for me to justify.

So I ask you: is this just crazy thinking?

As a side note: I have a DX6i and want to stay with the Eflight line, which is how I am settling on those two helis.

thanks in advance for being kind and gentle with my question. :-)
Bill
bunger is offline Find More Posts by bunger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:06 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,385 Posts
Go for MSR, the MCP is alot harder to fly than the coaxial helis. Since the mcp is a cp and can be broken easier and is harder to fly(does not self recover). The msr is very durable and can be bought for $100 BNF. The mcp would take another few months to arrive, so grab the MSR and wait till the mcp arrives. Pratice with the MSR while you are waiting. It is one step up from a coaxial, it doesn't stop when you let go of the stick, it will glide a little bit.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:11 PM
USA, MI, Traverse City
Joined Dec 2010
346 Posts
I was actually thinking about that very same idea... I just wish it was a little bigger, but I don't want a 120. Thats another think I like about the mcp x - its about 2" longer than the mcx2 and the msr...
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:32 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
I can't see the mCP-X being a good step up from a coaxial. It is not a beginner's helicopter, it is an intermediate to advanced helicopter and one that is better suited to pilots with single rotor experience, which you do not have.

There is a big difference between coaxial and single rotor helicopters. An MSR will teach you how to fly a single rotor with less frustration than an mCP-X will.

Going from a fixed pitch coaxial to a fixed pitch single rotor is a nice transition (e.g. MCX2 -> MSR). Going from a fixed pitch coaxial to a single rotor collective pitch (e.g. MCX2 -> mCP-X) is a huge leap.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:55 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
You can take any step you want, long as you know what you're getting into. I'd say, CP is twice as hard to put back together compared to FP, as it is to fly compared to FP.

MCPX will not be 'proven' for at least 2 months. Wouldn't settle on it as a CP beginner until some experienced flyers report their observations. I've flown CP. SR 120 arrives tomorrow. Might look at MCPX long about July/Aug. Depending what users report, might not.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:30 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
MSR from the coaxial is a good logical choice, I've had high success with the MSR and its a nice value package at $99 you get extra battery, nice 4 battery charger, and bind it with the spectrum of your choice. On the CP are a hoot to fly but take loads of patience and practice to get the feel for these, perhaps some day will master them.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/eflh3080.html

Even the FP MSR is highly responsive compared to the coaxial, but go easy and should handle it fine, give it some room at least at the start.

You can use the free FMS simulator, download it and it does have helis, minimum investment you get the control box only $25.95 complete with FMS, its helped me tremendously on the helis. At least have this one, perhaps later save up for a better sim.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSJR9
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:44 AM
USA, MI, Traverse City
Joined Dec 2010
346 Posts
Thanks for the advice and tips. I am now possibly leaning toward the msr ( maybe picking up a used one to save a little $$ ) and then re-evaluating the mcp x after seeing how I adjust/react to the msr.

Also, i had not yet seen that sim software before. I always just read about the $120+ Phoenix stuff, which i a sue is great, I just don't want to drop th at much in a sim... At least not yet. ;-)
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:28 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I vote for the MSR, too. We don't know how the MCPx actually flies. Keep in mind that a flybarless heli has very direct and abrupt response unless there is some kind of programming to soften it a little.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Feb 10, 2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:05 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
Only downside on the free FMS sim is the limited graphics and fewer models, is a static hover but only at the start of the helis, but once any form of inputs made it gets very realistic immediately. I would have zero luck on a CP and more effort with the FP without this one. Before spending big bucks no excuse not to have at least the FMS, as gets you started, crash and simply hit the reset button, much less expensive.

Infact still use the FMS sim, yet to spend the big bucks here as well. Note it also has bipes, jets, as well as the 3 channel trainers and of course helis. Even has gliders with thermal selections, quite amazing for a freebie.
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Last edited by wnppmy; Feb 10, 2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:50 AM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Since you like E-flite, the Phoenix sim has quite a few of the E-flite models in it. I have an mSR IRL and also practice with it in the sim. It's not a 100% perfect sim of my mSR, but it's close enough. I'm sure they'll have the mCP-x in the sim after it's released.
impostor is offline Find More Posts by impostor
Old Feb 10, 2011, 01:30 PM
USA, MI, Traverse City
Joined Dec 2010
346 Posts
What is the general thoughts about the 120sr? I just checked it out at my LHS and I like the size a little better than the msr... But it also might come close to being too big for indoors....
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:25 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
120SR is 'challenge' size for indoors. Can't go zooming about, least until you get VERY good at it. Twice the outdoor potential of MSR (estimating).
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:50 PM
USA, MI, Traverse City
Joined Dec 2010
346 Posts
it is a tough decision. I already have the mcx2 and the CX3 and the CX3 is not nearly as much fun indoors because of its size. (at least in my house)

But the 120sr is about 4 inches shorter than the CX3, so maybe it wouldn't be as bad?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:54 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
I'll know more in 48 hours. Others already do, talked me into it pretty easily.

Note, I learned on Esky LV4, same exact size as CX3, in 11x7 space. Then HBFP and HBCP in the same space. Possible to learn the aircraft's basic handling characteristics just practicing obstacle avoidance. Not FFF, obviously. Then take it outdoors when weather/wind allows.

120SR is large for doing fullscale maneuvering in confined space. Not impossible, but not doable in a week coming from coax.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:13 AM
Pittsburgh
Joined Jan 2011
8 Posts
get both, the msr owns and the mcp-x will doubtless also own
subgradient is offline Find More Posts by subgradient