SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:42 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
This is the fourth flight of the MCX Tandem I recently bought second hand.

I set it up for stable hover but with a slight forward bias. Aileron slides are really smooth and fwd speed is better than I expected. I am able to throw it around with full speed rudder/aileron turns and maintain altitude with a little throttle punch.

All in all a great purchase and a lot of fun. If I could could find an affordable receiver (new is $76 to Canada ), I would get my second (parts) heli flying also.

mcxtandem.wmv (5 min 7 sec)
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:50 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
OK - How can you even know that.

A simple 'your pcb is toast' would have been sufficient for my electronics knowledge.

I would send it to you at no cost if I could find an affordable working copy. This one is supposed to be my parts heli but except for the pcb, is in really good condition.

I had been tinkering with a sg90 servo PCB modded into being a ESC for my 1/87 Rc Mercedes coach

one of the resistor wires came lose and the motor started Vibrating, I almost toasted the servo/ESC PCB, I've done a lot of trial and error to learn a good amount of what I know .

Thank you for the offer on the faulty brick, good luck on finding a replacement, I almost bought a spares/repairs one for about 15GBP, as far as I could tell it only needed a rotahead part, but I know that just like you I would have had to restore it rather than break it for spares.

When I get my hands in a tandem MCX tandem brick I would basically hijack the S022 motor FETs to get around it being twice the voltage and higher current than the MCXt brick could handle, as they is no 4th ch on the S022 it really wouldn't matter if ch4 worked or not.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:50 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Quote:
I am able to throw it around with full speed rudder/aileron turns and maintain altitude with a little throttle punch.
Nice vid.

You know, I got spoiled by how well this thing flies. My Nine Eagles Twingo requires me to actively mess with the throttle to keep a steady altitude and the other bigger Tandems (Esky and Walkera YS8001) sometimes really make me work hard to maintain altitude when I'm turning--either in place or (more so) when doing a FF turn with a little banking.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:03 AM
RC Upper-Beginner
United Kingdom, London
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Wow! Thank you very much RoboHeli!

Your answer could not be better! Thank you for the effort, I am impressed with your pictures and your fleet. Really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Sure! Here you go:

and then, a quick shot of my 4Ch tandem fleet (showing that they're all about the same size...sort of):

From left to right... EFlite MCX Tandem Rescue, Nine Eagles Twingo, Esky Tandem, and Walkera YS8001
Dj m4X is offline Find More Posts by Dj m4X
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:41 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,671 Posts
Hi Gordonzo, it appears 76CAD is about the price all around the world, www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk do the eflh2501 (part number for the MCXt brick) or 41.09GBP free p&p within the uk (about 65CAD) I've emailed them asking how much it would e to ship to Canada out of curiosity.

If your interested I could possibly get one and ship it to you (I'de pay p&p to you) and you could send me the faulty one in the box I send you.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:21 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Hi Gordonzo, it appears 76CAD is about the price all around the world, www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk do the eflh2501 (part number for the MCXt brick) or 41.09GBP free p&p within the uk (about 65CAD) I've emailed them asking how much it would e to ship to Canada out of curiosity.

If your interested I could possibly get one and ship it to you (I'de pay p&p to you) and you could send me the faulty one in the box I send you.
I might be buying 2 more MCX tandems, one that flys and one with a burnt receiver. If the deal goes through I will send you a burnt one.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:39 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,671 Posts
Quote:
I might be buying 2 more MCX tandems, one that flys and one with a burnt receiver. If the deal goes through I will send you a burnt one.
Oh cool, I've not had any luck on finding out if my NE Tx will work with the Twingo tandem, if it's just the servo that ain't working I'll be doing one of two things with the PCB you send, either install it in a S026 (nonG) chinook to give it 2.4Ghz and gyro, or add bigger FET transistors and put it in my S022 chinook, either way it will be an interesting experiment for thi thread.

Thanks again Gordonzo.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:50 AM
RC Upper-Beginner
United Kingdom, London
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Funny you say that. I was actually thinking whether it would be possible to "adapt" the canopy of the Syma022 to a NE Twingo or MCX Tandem inner structure, and electronics, to make a 4ch Syma022 2.4g. Just because it is such a shame that such cool looking helicopter only has 3CHs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Oh cool, I've not had any luck on finding out if my NE Tx will work with the Twingo tandem, if it's just the servo that ain't working I'll be doing one of two things with the PCB you send, either install it in a S026 (nonG) chinook to give it 2.4Ghz and gyro, or add bigger FET transistors and put it in my S022 chinook, either way it will be an interesting experiment for thi thread.

Thanks again Gordonzo.
Dj m4X is offline Find More Posts by Dj m4X
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:44 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,671 Posts
The S022 cannopy is way too big for the Twingo or the MCX, they are also 1S helicopters while the S022 is a 2S heli, a S022 (as almost everything but he PCB) could be fitted with MCXt or Twingo PCB, a 4V regulator would be needed so that the boards not fried by the 7.4V of a 2S pack, the motor outputs of the 1S PCB would not be strong enough for the 2S motors but if bigger FET were used with 2S it would work. 

My other idea is to take HobbyKing quad control board and a standard 2.4Ghz Rx.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a168PA%5F.html

Of course I would need to teach my self how to program it to work in a tandem coax rather than a quad, people have reprogrammed this board to fly a Avatar gunship.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:32 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,470 Posts
If you can get that board to work for a tandem heli, figure out how to do it for a regular tandem, not a coax. If you do, you can sell a lot of them. There are lots of people looking for decent tandems, but the only ones there are come from Hirobo on special order and cost $3000 - $8000. I've been trying to find a decent one for several years, with no luck. I even had a deal to buy a TRex Twin from a guy in the UK, even with the shipping cost involved; but the deal fell through.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:25 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Litehawk Duo - Are You Kidding Me?!

OK so I picked up the Litehawk Duo Tandem because it has a Canadian Search & Rescue theme and it was on sale.This tiny tandem is just over 5" long on the fuselage! Are you kidding me?!

So now I have owned 4 different tandems. Here is my experiences with all of them:

Syma S026: Fun little I/R heli, short flight times, needed constant trimming during flight, rocking motion during ff. Sold it.

Syma S022: This one was a ton of fun, good power and flight times, lack of gyro makes it even more fun to fly as you have to keep it moving, awesome sound, good durability, handles light breeze. It had a scary tendency to take off on its own which I assume is due to interference on the 27mhz band. Sold it. I kind of miss this one.

Blade MCX Tandem Rescue: Full 4ch with mode 2 controller on 2.4ghz, also Canadian Rescue themed, good speed, flight times and handling. This is a keeper.

Now for the new one - Litehawk Duo: Very tiny, looks to be well built, rock steady hover, good fwd speed, crisp turns, long flight times and no trimming required even as the battery voltage drops. It weighs 34g and looks like the battery is 150mah. I am loving this little tandem and I expect it will be a keeper.

Video and photos below:
litehawk-duo.wmv (6 min 39 sec)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:45 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,150 Posts
Really nice flying ... man - how does one fly like this with a TX as ........... (insert derogatory term here ...) as this??
(and this goes by no means against your TX in particular - this goes against ALL of these toy transmitters in general)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:26 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
If you can get that board to work for a tandem heli, figure out how to do it for a regular tandem, not a coax.
It's not like me to even think this let alone say it but, I need to learn to walk before I try to run, with that board I would like to try and make use of the yaw and pitch Gyros, the S026G or even the S022G for example use a gyro for just yaw, I would like to try and implement the pitch gyro so that when used out doors, if the heli was heading into to wind with full forward stick the gyro would know it is not tilting forward as much as it should an hopefully move the power even further to the rear to gain lost forward speen caused by wind. 

One other thing I would need to learn is to change the output that would normally be a servo PWM in a motor driving PWM as these outputs would be sent a a FET for each of the brushed motors within the S022 chinook. 

Not that I am one to give up on a challenge though, once I have learned some programming on things like these I would get some hardware needed to attempt a S022 kinda sized Tandem, I read up a little on the twin Trex or TwinnRexx which brought more search results, very interesting creature indeed! In one of the videos I saw it looked as though both main rota were linked together, presumably via the hear that normally drives the tail blades. 

Quote:
OK so I picked up the Litehawk Duo Tandem because it has a Canadian Search & Rescue theme and it was on sale.This tiny tandem is just over 5" long on the fuselage! Are you kidding me?!
Wow, nippy little fella! It sounds like a S026 and the blade holders and ballace/flybar looks very Syma, it would not supprise me if the parts are cloned or at least based on the Syma parts mentioned, this sub micro tandem coax has given me a a new hack n' slash heli idea.....

Some members might remember my Syma S240 I made a while back from two S107 and a S026 PCB

S240 Build log - testing the airframe (0 min 26 sec)

Now having seen this little litehawk, I'm thinking of trying this again using two of the tiny coax heli...

bolted together with a S026 PCB, I do have to wonder Gordonzo, you say it was on sale, any idea how much one/two of them would cost to ship to the uk?

Sent from my iPhone
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:49 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Really nice flying ... man - how does one fly like this with a TX as ........... (insert derogatory term here ...) as this??
(and this goes by no means against your TX in particular - this goes against ALL of these toy transmitters in general)
The build quality and QC on this Duo seems to be very good. I don't know if I just got a good one or if this is indicative of Litehawk's overall effort to build a positive customer experience such as they claim 'From Your First Flight To Your Best Flight'. Time will tell how long my love affair with this liliputian heli will be. But my first impressions, especially considering, like you said, it has the most basic cheapy I/R controller, are very positive.

The sticks are proportional and predictable. You might have noticed in the video that I was pretty much unable to do ccw pirouettes, but figure eights in both directions are super easy. As the battery voltage drops, it does lose fwd speed but remains steady on the controls.

I also was (pleasantly) surprised at how easy it was to throw the Duo around. I was expecting another S026 but IMO this is a big step up from that. Thus my title says "Are You Kidding Me?!"

On a side note: I posted the video over at the Litehawk forum and they deleted it.
Last edited by gordonzo; Apr 17, 2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: more
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:44 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,671 Posts
There is a forum specifically for litehawk or was it a thread?