HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:43 AM
RC Upper-Beginner
United Kingdom, London
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Hi RoboHeli, and Everyone,

I'm a new member and Tandem Lover. So far I own a Esky HB1, a S026g and a NE Bravo SX which I have already "improved" with some mods, and I have recently purchased a walkera y8001 from rchelicopterselect.com but I'm having trouble trimming it.

Is there anyone that could help me please? I noticed at the bottom of it also has three trims labelled "Mix" "Rudder gain" and "Servo extent". I'm wondering whether i should be adjusting these. But i'm not sure what i'm doing here.

I'm also considering buying a NE Twingo. From what i seen on YouTube and read around, it seems easier to fly with. I'm not sure whether getting spare parts is going to be hard or not. Any opinions on that?

Thank you for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Hi Shark_fighter78, go back a page or two and read a big post that I put out about my thoughts about the following helis:

Blade Tandem Rescue (Sea Knight)
Nine Eagles Twingo (Chinook)
Esky Tandem (Sea Knight)
Walkera YS8001 (Chinook)

Here's the link to the specific post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=70

you can google for images of each of those helis. Note: they're all discontinued, but I know that Hobby King still sells the Walkera YS8001 in a BNF (and no battery charger!?!?).
Dj m4X is offline Find More Posts by Dj m4X
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:03 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,632 Posts
Hi DJ m4X, Hobbyking sells a lot of spare for the twingo, the reason I'm here now is to ask the other members in this thread about a Twingo PCB....
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ver%5FSet.html

Does anyone know if the Tx of my NineEagles Sky Eagle Cessna will work with this brick?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1240597&page=1
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:46 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,655 Posts
Hi Dj m4X!

The YS8001 can be a bit of a handful to fly. Which control are you having troubles trimming? Elevator? Because it's one of those tandems which uses a servo for elevator swash I find that it's impossible to get a hands-free hover out of it. This is one of those helis, like the Esky Tandem, which requires you to continually "fly" it with small adjustments to your sticks. More importantly, as I've started to get a little more experience with it, it appears that mine might start to get less controllable as the battery wears down. I think that may have something to do with the fact that the motors aren't able to speed up or slow down as rapidly when the battery has lower charge.

Do you have the manual for it? I've never messed with the "Mix" "Rudder gain" and "Servo extent" pots at all. The only trim I have to do is to push the elevator (cyclic pitch) all the way forward. The rudder and cyclic roll are adjusted slightly as I fly but otherwise start out centered usually.

What are you flying it with? I've got a Walkera 2402 that I'm using. Works okay though I'm kind of wondering about the binding process. It appears that I have to essentially keep going back into binding mode with the heli every time I turn it on unlike all my Eflite fleet which, when I first program with the TX, will respond to the TX as long as the TX is turned on when the heli is turned on.. In contrast, if the Walkera TX is on but not in what appears to be the binding mode, the heli will not respond. I have to turn on the heli IMMEDIATELY after turning on the TX otherwise it won't bind.

The YS8001 is a POWERFUL bird compared to all of my other tandems. That makes it ideal for a big space to fly in. It's too big for my indoor studio and is good for my backyard but of course it's still impossible to fly in any wind.

That being said, if you like tandems then I think you will like the NE Twingo. It can easily be set up for hands-free hover as it only uses a servo for cyclic roll (aileron) and is much lighter and has smaller motors than the YS8001. Its canopy is soft and pliable so it's much more crash resistant. I was getting all of my Twingo spares from clubheli.com (since I'm in the US anyway).
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:56 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
I just became a tandem owner (again) with a Blade MCX Tandem Rescue package that I picked up on the Canadian RC site.

I got two tandems, both in really good shape except one has a servo problem (that I knew about before purchase). The other flys really well!

When you power up the one heli, the servo goes to the top of travel and stays there. I wound it down, powered it up, and it goes to the top again. Is this likely a servo issue (easily replaced) or a receiver problem (which would cost more than I paid for everything). With the servo disconnected it flys just fine as a 3ch.

I used to have a Syma S026 and big S022. If it was 4ch I would probably still have the S022. Enter the MCX Tandem - full 4ch, mode 2, and with a few minor cog adjustments, has decent speed and maneuverability. And it is so Canadian, eh? I like it! I wonder if it can modded . . . . .
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,655 Posts
Awesome purchase! I might need to start looking for good auctions to make sure I have parts to keep mine in the air.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:36 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
I got two tandems, both in really good shape except one has a servo problem (that I knew about before purchase). The other flys really well!

When you power up the one heli, the servo goes to the top of travel and stays there. I wound it down, powered itL up, and it goes to the top again. Is this likely a servo issue (easily replaced) or a receiver problem (which would cost more than I paid for everything). With the servo disconnected it flys just fine as a 3ch.

I used to have a Syma S026 and big S022. If it was 4ch I would probably still have the S022. Enter the MCX Tandem - full 4ch, mode 2, and with a few minor cog adjustments, has decent speed and maneuverability. And it is so Canadian, eh? I like it! I wonder if it can modded . . . . .
Hi gordonzo, I believe this is a Rx problem, a blown transistor in Hbridge....
  1. the little metal fingers/wipers have lost contact with the strips
  2. this has caused the control circuit move the motor a tiny bit in one direction and then back very quickly over and over again (vibrating it)
  3. the motor vibrating back and fore very quickly has over loaded and burnt out one of the transistors in the Hbridge
  4. now the Rx can only move the motor in one direction because only half of the Hbridge is working

The last few days I've been helping a member diagnose this same fault in his NineEagles Cessna brick, here is a link to the thread with info on the tests you can do to confirm/fix the fault.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1240597&page=5

If you can't fix it maybe I can help towards gettin you a new brick, I've been looking for a Tandem rescue brick to splice into my S022 PCB to give it Gyro and DSM2 reception, if postage postage ain't too much maybe I could buy your faulty brick.
Last edited by djdavies83; Apr 11, 2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:47 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,703 Posts
Quote:
I just became a tandem owner (again) with a Blade MCX Tandem Rescue package that I picked up on the Canadian RC site.
When you power up the one heli, the servo goes to the top of travel and stays there. I wound it down, powered it up, and it goes to the top again. Is this likely a servo issue (easily replaced) or a receiver problem (which would cost more than I paid for everything). With the servo disconnected it flys just fine as a 3ch.
There are a few threads where this problem is discussed with possible solutions to a servo jamming like this.

I used to have a Syma S026 and big S022. If it was 4ch I would probably still have the S022.
Syma have brought out a gyro version of the S022, the problem is no one has them in stock at the moment

Enter the MCX Tandem - full 4ch, mode 2, and with a few minor cog adjustments, has decent speed and maneuverability. And it is so Canadian, eh? I like it! I wonder if it can modded . . . . .
I am not aware of any mods that have been documented for the mCX Tandem. One member has, in the past, fitted a small camera to his to capture some aerial video. This is a link to his post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=47

The only change I made to my Tandem was the battery. The original battery was going fast and would not keep my Tandem in the air. So I used an adapter lead and used one of the batteries from my 120SR and that worked fine.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:01 AM
RC Upper-Beginner
United Kingdom, London
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Thank you Davies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Hi DJ m4X, Hobbyking sells a lot of spare for the twingo, the reason I'm here now is to ask the other members in this thread about a Twingo PCB....
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ver%5FSet.html

Does anyone know if the Tx of my NineEagles Sky Eagle Cessna will work with this brick?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1240597&page=1
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:44 AM
RC Upper-Beginner
United Kingdom, London
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Hello RoboHeli!

Thank you for your quick reply.

And Yes, the trimming issues are to do with forward/backward cyclic. I noticed that the helicopter front wheels are higher than the ones at the back. Therefore making the helicopter sit with an angle. After I modified my s026g i had a similar issue. The helicopter now initially lifts off going backwards only a bit before leveling once in the air. Makes me think the ys8001 could have the same issue?
I also been a bit naughty and messed with the "mix" pot at the bottom of the ys8001 as i learned from the instructions manual that: "MIX - Mixing ratio knob - Mixing ratio knob is used to change the front/back status by mending the amount of tail motor's RPM". But then I started having issues with the Rudder trim. Eventually i crashed it and broke the front swashplate (looking at them closely makes me think that the plastic bits are very delicate). I now have to wait one month for the parts supplier to receive new ones (and dispach them) as they are out of stock at the moment.

The helicopter came with a wk-2402 controller and yes, it also has the issue of binding. In fact, it was taking ages to do the binding at all. By switching the controller off and then on again during binding I noticed that if you turn the helicopter on before the controller (me being naughty again) it binds quicker. I am now wondering, just for fun, if the controller can bind with other receivers as for example my NE Bravo SX (I need to have a closer look to the instructions of the controller).

And finally, yes I am more and more inclined to buying a NE Twingo since I am only flying indoors at the moment. I am only learning to control 4ch helicopters for now, and i feel more comfortable doing it at home. Just need to check whether Clubheli or Hobbyking do deliveries to the UK (as i am in London) in case i need to buy spare parts later on. Is the NE Twingo really 8cm bigger than the YS8001?

Thank you for reading!!!

Quote:
Hi Dj m4X!

The YS8001 can be a bit of a handful to fly. Which control are you having troubles trimming? Elevator? Because it's one of those tandems which uses a servo for elevator swash I find that it's impossible to get a hands-free hover out of it. This is one of those helis, like the Esky Tandem, which requires you to continually "fly" it with small adjustments to your sticks. More importantly, as I've started to get a little more experience with it, it appears that mine might start to get less controllable as the battery wears down. I think that may have something to do with the fact that the motors aren't able to speed up or slow down as rapidly when the battery has lower charge.

Do you have the manual for it? I've never messed with the "Mix" "Rudder gain" and "Servo extent" pots at all. The only trim I have to do is to push the elevator (cyclic pitch) all the way forward. The rudder and cyclic roll are adjusted slightly as I fly but otherwise start out centered usually.

What are you flying it with? I've got a Walkera 2402 that I'm using. Works okay though I'm kind of wondering about the binding process. It appears that I have to essentially keep going back into binding mode with the heli every time I turn it on unlike all my Eflite fleet which, when I first program with the TX, will respond to the TX as long as the TX is turned on when the heli is turned on.. In contrast, if the Walkera TX is on but not in what appears to be the binding mode, the heli will not respond. I have to turn on the heli IMMEDIATELY after turning on the TX otherwise it won't bind.

The YS8001 is a POWERFUL bird compared to all of my other tandems. That makes it ideal for a big space to fly in. It's too big for my indoor studio and is good for my backyard but of course it's still impossible to fly in any wind.

That being said, if you like tandems then I think you will like the NE Twingo. It can easily be set up for hands-free hover as it only uses a servo for cyclic roll (aileron) and is much lighter and has smaller motors than the YS8001. Its canopy is soft and pliable so it's much more crash resistant. I was getting all of my Twingo spares from clubheli.com (since I'm in the US anyway).
Last edited by Dj m4X; Apr 11, 2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:33 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj m4X View Post
Thank you Davies!
No probs DJ

So does anyone know if the Twingo Rx linked above will work with my Tx?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,655 Posts
Hi Dj m4X

Hobbyking will ship anywhere in the world. They're pretty cool so long as you don't mind waiting for the shipment!!!

I feel your pain regarding the YS8001. When I first flew the Esky Tandem, which is very similar in control to the YS8001, I too abruptly ended my maiden flight with a spectacular suicide dive into a wall. I broke a landing skid, several blades, chipped both flybars, and snapped one of the arms off of the front swashplate. I spent a few weeks waiting for parts and painstakingly rebuilding it. It's much better now but it, like the YS8001, definitely likes flying in big outdoor (windless) spaces rather than in my studio.

Still, it's a challenge to fly and that's what makes it fun for me.

I really do strongly recommend the NE Twingo to you. If you like Tandems, you really will like this one. You can get used to flying a Tandem with the Twingo and then gradually go back to the more advanced YS8001 and you'll find that you'll become a better flyer of both as a result. I'm practicing with my YS8001 indoors more now as well and I've had multiple flights that weren't the smoothest things in the world but the heli was going where I wanted it to go and I didn't crash into anything!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:25 AM
RC Upper-Beginner
United Kingdom, London
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Thank you RoboHeli!

Would you be able to tell me how the ys8001 and the Twingo compare in size?

Thank you for taking the time to answer!

Quote:
Hi Dj m4X

Hobbyking will ship anywhere in the world. They're pretty cool so long as you don't mind waiting for the shipment!!!

I feel your pain regarding the YS8001. When I first flew the Esky Tandem, which is very similar in control to the YS8001, I too abruptly ended my maiden flight with a spectacular suicide dive into a wall. I broke a landing skid, several blades, chipped both flybars, and snapped one of the arms off of the front swashplate. I spent a few weeks waiting for parts and painstakingly rebuilding it. It's much better now but it, like the YS8001, definitely likes flying in big outdoor (windless) spaces rather than in my studio.

Still, it's a challenge to fly and that's what makes it fun for me.

I really do strongly recommend the NE Twingo to you. If you like Tandems, you really will like this one. You can get used to flying a Tandem with the Twingo and then gradually go back to the more advanced YS8001 and you'll find that you'll become a better flyer of both as a result. I'm practicing with my YS8001 indoors more now as well and I've had multiple flights that weren't the smoothest things in the world but the heli was going where I wanted it to go and I didn't crash into anything!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj m4X View Post
Thank you RoboHeli!

Would you be able to tell me how the ys8001 and the Twingo compare in size?

Thank you for taking the time to answer!
Sure! Here you go:

and then, a quick shot of my 4Ch tandem fleet (showing that they're all about the same size...sort of):

From left to right... EFlite MCX Tandem Rescue, Nine Eagles Twingo, Esky Tandem, and Walkera YS8001
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:48 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Hi gordonzo, I believe this is a Rx problem, a blown transistor in Hbridge....
  1. the little metal fingers/wipers have lost contact with the strips
  2. this has caused the control circuit move the motor a tiny bit in one direction and then back very quickly over and over again (vibrating it)
  3. the motor vibrating back and fore very quickly has over loaded and burnt out one of the transistors in the Hbridge
  4. now the Rx can only move the motor in one direction because only half of the Hbridge is working

OK - How can you even know that.

A simple 'your pcb is toast' would have been sufficient for my electronics knowledge.

The last few days I've been helping a member diagnose this same fault in his NineEagles Cessna brick, here is a link to the thread with info on the tests you can do to confirm/fix the fault.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1240597&page=5

If you can't fix it maybe I can help towards gettin you a new brick, I've been looking for a Tandem rescue brick to splice into my S022 PCB to give it Gyro and DSM2 reception, if postage postage ain't too much maybe I could buy your faulty brick.
I would send it to you at no cost if I could find an affordable working copy. This one is supposed to be my parts heli but except for the pcb, is in really good condition.

Quote:
Sure! Here you go: . . . .

. . . . From left to right... EFlite MCX Tandem Rescue, Nine Eagles Twingo, Esky Tandem, and Walkera YS8001
That's a very impressive lineup you have there there Roboheli!

I am really enjoying the MCX Tandem I recently purchased. The battery is running for between 5 and 6 minutes. With a touch of blu-tack in the nose and some minor servo adjustment I have it hovering very well and am also getting decent forward speed, much better than I expected after reading people's comments here. The ailerons are also much more effective than I had expected. I can even get some mild banking action.

I will try to get a video up soon.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,655 Posts
Quote:
I am really enjoying the MCX Tandem I recently purchased. The battery is running for between 5 and 6 minutes. With a touch of blu-tack in the nose and some minor servo adjustment I have it hovering very well and am also getting decent forward speed, much better than I expected after reading people's comments here. The ailerons are also much more effective than I had expected. I can even get some mild banking action.]
Yes!!! This is exactly my experience with this heli as well. I just flew all 4 of my Tandem hels today so I had a chance to compare their flight performance. I'd say that my MCX Tandem is about as fast as my stock MCX2. I get nice little banked turns as well once I get the FF speed up. In comparison, my NE Twingo is more like the regular MCX in its FF speed.

It's so nice to hear from someone else who has a nicely tuned MCX Tandem.
RCG Plus Member