HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:48 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_fighter78 View Post
I have asthma 22 and 26, both very cool the 22 is tough to fly outside , wind pushes it around, but besides that mine tends to drift to the right even indoors with no wind, I have had some spectacular crashes, tees, houses, more trees, any ideas on what may be causing the drift? I thought it may have been a weight balance issue but I opened it up and it all seemed evenly balanced, I am to new to this to spot any other tech issue
Quote:
Whoops , auto correct seems to think I have asthma , it should read I have a syma 22 and 26.......
I have had both of those asthma models.

The key to the s022 is to keep it moving. It does not like to stay in hover due to not having a gyro. I was able to fly in a 3-5 km/h breeze but lots of attention is required, and you have to keep moving under full throttle to keep the nose down.

When you say the s022 is drifting to the right do you mean:
1. Nose turning to the right
2. Sideways drift to the right
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
248 Posts
its a sideways drift to the right, I flew it for the first time ever outside in the wind, and with no non gyro flight time i crashed it pretty good, nothing seemed broke, no body damage or rattling pieces, but I wouldn't know whats supposed to be where if i opened it up and looked anyways.When i say crashed i mean i knew she was going down so i put her down "softly" but blades are chipped for sure , some scrapes and dirt, but it gives it that rugged look.
Shark_fighter78 is offline Find More Posts by Shark_fighter78
Last edited by Shark_fighter78; Mar 28, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
248 Posts
what other tandems are out there that are good? I just saw they have a gyro version of the s022 now i was thinking of pulling the trigger on that when its readily available. The walkera38 its an actual ch46 (I was in the Marine Corps) and id rather have a 46 to deck out in proper custom paint and USMC detail, but at around 200 bucks its expensive. I read that the exceed version is just a reboxed walkera just less expensive (like 20-40 bucks) anyone have any info? The s026 is a bad hombre, and im thinking it needs some custom paint and machine guns, whats the best paint to use on something like that, and since i am asking a million questions does anyone know what scale the s022 and 26 are , or what scale they are close to? I was thinking of getting some proper military decals for them,maybe the s108g as well (not a tandem but its a great little bird) any ideas on that scale?
Shark_fighter78 is offline Find More Posts by Shark_fighter78
Last edited by Shark_fighter78; Mar 28, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:41 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Hi Shark_fighter78, go back a page or two and read a big post that I put out about my thoughts about the following helis:

Blade Tandem Rescue (Sea Knight)
Nine Eagles Twingo (Chinook)
Esky Tandem (Sea Knight)
Walkera YS8001 (Chinook)

Here's the link to the specific post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=70

you can google for images of each of those helis. Note: they're all discontinued, but I know that Hobby King still sells the Walkera YS8001 in a BNF (and no battery charger!?!?).
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:05 AM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
its a sideways drift to the right, I flew it for the first time ever outside in the wind, and with no non gyro flight time i crashed it pretty good, nothing seemed broke, no body damage or rattling pieces, but I wouldn't know whats supposed to be where if i opened it up and looked anyways.When i say crashed i mean i knew she was going down so i put her down "softly" but blades are chipped for sure , some scrapes and dirt, but it gives it that rugged look.
I don't know if this will apply to the tandem, but I have a big T23 coax that displayed similar symptoms.

On the T23, the stock blades have a rubber safety edge that is easily damaged and then causes low lift and bizarre handling. So I replaced them with more durable DH-9101 blades. The 9101 blades are too long, which increased blade strikes, so I cut them down.

Now here we finally get to the point: If the blades were not precisely the same the heli would drift, in my case to the left. So if your blades are damaged quite a bit, try replacing as many as you have spares for, starting with the worst.

Also, I have heard of people taping the blade edges for a temporary fix. And make sure your shafts are not bent - there would be some obvious vibration.

I hope some of this helps.

regards . . . g
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:29 AM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
what other tandems are out there that are good? I just saw they have a gyro version of the s022 now i was thinking of pulling the trigger on that when its readily available. The walkera38 its an actual ch46 (I was in the Marine Corps) and id rather have a 46 to deck out in proper custom paint and USMC detail, but at around 200 bucks its expensive. I read that the exceed version is just a reboxed walkera just less expensive (like 20-40 bucks) anyone have any info? The s026 is a bad hombre, and im thinking it needs some custom paint and machine guns, whats the best paint to use on something like that, and since i am asking a million questions does anyone know what scale the s022 and 26 are , or what scale they are close to? I was thinking of getting some proper military decals for them,maybe the s108g as well (not a tandem but its a great little bird) any ideas on that scale?
There is an interesting looking Walkera #38 for sale here but first read about them here. They certainly look impressive and are very large but are still expensive and seem to have a reputation for difficulty. I believe member Balr14 had one.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Given what I've seen with the tandems that have servos for both pitch and roll (Esky and Walkera again) I'd say that you really want to be careful with these kinds of helis. The slightest variation in weight of a blade or flybar weight can translate into some pretty crazy vibrations. I believe that the Walkera #38 is going to be a larger version of the mechanics in the YS8001 and I think Balr14 is on record somewhere on these forums saying that he spent a lot of time trying to get his Walkera #38 to fly well and eventually gave up on it, I believe. That is a BIG helicopter compared to all the others that I've mentioned so it will do a lot of damage to itself if it crashes...

So, Hobby King has both the NE Twingo (in RTF and BNF apparently) as well as the YS8001 in BNF. Since you like Chinooks, these are the ones to go with rather than the Eflite Rescue and Esky Tandem which are Sea Knights. The NE Twingo is VERY easy to fly and hovers out of the box pretty much. It's a great indoor heli while the YS8001 needs larger spaces to be flown safely, IMHO. Both have nice lighting arrangements as well, if that matters to you.

Nine Eagles Twingo

RTF : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12010
BNF : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12012

RTF : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12011
BNF : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12013

Walkera YS8001

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12203

Note: you WILL need to find a TX and a charger for this BNF YS8001. I got the Walkera 2402 from another company and it works fine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Hi all,

Does anybody who still reads this thread have an Esky Tandem? It's getting harder to find spare parts for this heli. Of course, since it's discontinued, that's not surprising. One problem is that if I have a crash, the screw that holds the weight onto the end of the flybar will sometimes chip and this seems to add some instability to the helicopter at certain motor frequencies. This seems to be the ONLY thing wrong and so if I can find some sort of screw that fits the threading then I could bolt the weights back on and resurrect an otherwise "dead" flybar I think.

any thought? Anyone know if any of the other Esky helis share a flybar with the Tandem?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:54 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Hi all,

Does anybody who still reads this thread have an Esky Tandem? It's getting harder to find spare parts for this heli. Of course, since it's discontinued, that's not surprising. One problem is that if I have a crash, the screw that holds the weight onto the end of the flybar will sometimes chip and this seems to add some instability to the helicopter at certain motor frequencies. This seems to be the ONLY thing wrong and so if I can find some sort of screw that fits the threading then I could bolt the weights back on and resurrect an otherwise "dead" flybar I think.

any thought? Anyone know if any of the other Esky helis share a flybar with the Tandem?
How heavy is the weight ?? and what diameter has the flybar?? I just looked at the heli dimensions, it looks like these flybars are rather small ...
Can you get these specs? Because right now, the only way I see is to "buy outside the box ..."
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
How heavy is the weight ?? and what diameter has the flybar?? I just looked at the heli dimensions, it looks like these flybars are rather small ...
Can you get these specs? Because right now, the only way I see is to "buy outside the box ..."
Detailed specs coming up! Let me know I'm missing something...

The individual weights (when removed from the flybar) are 1.72g

The length of the flybar with weights and screws is 168mm

The diameter of the flybar (metal shaft) is 1mm

Here are some pix. First is a good flybar next to the one that had a broken screw cap so I removed both screws. The weights are next to it.

The second is a closeup of the left side of the flybar weight screw.

If I could figure out the thread pitch I could probably try to find a bolt of some kind that would fit...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,135 Posts
Quote:

The individual weights (when removed from the flybar) are 1.72g

The length of the flybar with weights and screws is 168mm

The diameter of the flybar (metal shaft) is 1mm

Here are some pix. First is a good flybar next to the one that had a broken screw cap so I removed both screws. The weights are next to it.

The second is a closeup of the left side of the flybar weight screw.

If I could figure out the thread pitch I could probably try to find a bolt of some kind that would fit...
I am not really confident if it is a good "fit", but it could sure be worth a try:

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=4533

(Unfortunately I cant give you the weight, as I cant get mine off my heli flybar, but I think the diameter fits, and as they normally use kind of a standard thread with this stuff, it should work I'd say ...)

EDIT:
... and if these are too light, the 5#10 uses a flybar with the same thread I think ... and there the weights are 3.8g a piece ... so you could "make" heavier ones, however would be "forced" to cut them to the right weight ... (as I highly doubt using 3.8g weights would be too good an idea ...)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erdnuckel2; Apr 01, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Interesting. This is a "flybar connector" What exactly does this part do? Is it the thing that screws onto the threaded end of the flybar (which I think is what I'm looking for)?

FWIW, I also don't mind totally redoing the flybars on this heli if it allows me to keep flying it. Shorter/longer/heavier/lighter is all fine so long as I can figure out how to control it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,135 Posts
Quote:
Interesting. This is a "flybar connector" What exactly does this part do? Is it the thing that screws onto the threaded end of the flybar (which I think is what I'm looking for)?

FWIW, I also don't mind totally redoing the flybars on this heli if it allows me to keep flying it. Shorter/longer/heavier/lighter is all fine so long as I can figure out how to control it!
It is the usual "chinglish". what it is is actually a flybar weight for a Walkera 4#6 - like I said, I have the 4#6 with these weights on in front of me, but I cant unscrew them to put them on the scale (those seem to have been locktited with CA at the manufacturing plant ...)

So, I measured the flybar diameter which comes out to 1mm and I expect this to be a standard thread. So it should work ... ... but who knows. However, this 90cent price is the cheapest I saw them (couple of store do also have them, but at least for 2.50$ ...)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:42 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,706 Posts
Quote:

The thread will be M1 which has a pitch of 0.25 mm.

cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
The thread will be M1 which has a pitch of 0.25 mm.

cheers John.

The master at work. Thanks, John!!!
RCG Plus Member