HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:31 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,297 Posts
MCX2??? Be very careful there. Those motors are a lot more powerful than the MCX ones that normally go in there. valiantGLX put those in his MCX S300 and it hit the ceiling before he could stop it!

Still though, it could be an interesting experiment. Good luck with it!!!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:52 PM
Constant edits for autocorrect
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
I have 3 MCX2's right now. I put the tail, gear and canopy on one from the old S300 blade offered, put on a scout flybar which had been trimmed a little shorter for a little less stability and used my aggressive setting for my DX6i. It was kind of like trying to fly a miniature 120 in the house on high rate. It was banking turns lol I think the 5 in 1 from the MCX2 gives The motors a little more umph than the MCX unit.
rallykid is offline Find More Posts by rallykid
Last edited by rallykid; Sep 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
I think I have figured out the problem. The lower gears on both ends will not stay tight on the shafts. I am working up a more permanent fix at the moment. Maybe a drop of ca on the shaft. I have aligned and tightened them 5 or 6 times and they keep coming loose. They are a pain to get to. I will try the ca trick and see if things improve. Unfortunately I am definitely going to need a new canopy. It hit hard enough when the gear came loose that it caved the nose in and one of the front lights is no longer working.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:56 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,297 Posts
Well,you could try thread lock on the screws that secure the gears. I assume that the screws that go into the gears are at least seated properly against the flat part of the bottom of the shaft?

You know, I think I had this happen once to me in a crash. My rear shaft spun at max velocity and I was terrified something electronic had broken. After resetting the heli it was fine, but perhaps a gear had come loose... hmmm I should go check the tightness of my gears.

ALternatively, you may need to consider getting new gears?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:14 AM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
They are seated properly, thread locked and tight. I am going to try a tiny dab of non permanent glue just to hold them in place and see if that resolves the issue. If it does then I will pick up new gears. If not then back to the drawing board.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:36 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Apr 2010
3,489 Posts
Elevator control on your tandem

By robo, I notice this tandem of yours has two servos and I think you said it has two motor output on the mixer, is elevator done with a servo then?

I know the tandem rescue uses four motor output and only has one servo.

Just trying to gather some knowledge for a secret project, I'll reveal all once I have something, oh dose hobby king have both sets of mcx2 type blades?
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
By robo, I notice this tandem of yours has two servos and I think you said it has two motor output on the mixer, is elevator done with a servo then?

I know the tandem rescue uses four motor output and only has one servo.
That's correct. The Twister Skylift has two servos. One for elevator and one for aileron. The motor outputs are for controlling the lower blades and the upper blades. That is, the two lower blades are controlled as one "motor" and the upper blades are controlled as another.

Just to be complete, here's the taxonomy.

Two-servo (elevator and aileron) tandems include:

* Twister Skylift
* Esky Tandem
* Walkera YS8001
* Walkera 38#CH47 (I assume this is the case since it's so darn big...I don't have one though)

Single-servo (aileron servo only, elevation done with differential motor speeds) tandems include:

* Blade Tandem Rescue
* Nine Eagles Twingo
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:06 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,489 Posts
Hehe I'm gonna order some parts next payday get some upper mc blades too and I shouldbe all set.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:59 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,489 Posts
Robo, would you mind giving me a couple of close up shots of how the horizontal linkages connect to the swash plate at each end of the heli?

I saw a TwinnRexx a few pages back, how to they control yaw?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Robo, would you mind giving me a couple of close up shots of how the horizontal linkages connect to the swash plate at each end of the heli?

I saw a TwinnRexx a few pages back, how to they control yaw?
Ooooh, exciting! Sure! You'll have to wait until tonight, but I'll be more than happy to do an extensive photoshoot of my topless () heli and its swashplate linkages.

I don't know about the TwinnRexx, but all of my helis control yaw (rudder) the same way as any single-shaft coaxial does. They introduce a difference in rotational speed between the top and bottom rotors.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,297 Posts
Twister Skylift Servo Linkages

As requested, here are some high-res photos showing how the servos in a Twister Skylift connect to the swashplate.

First, here's a shot of the entire heli with its canopy off. This is the pilot's left side of the heli (front is to the left of the image). The heli is lying on its side here.

Now, let's take a close-up walk around.

Front side view of the front swashplate.

Pilot's left side view of the front swashplate.

Pilot's left side view of the front linkages.

Pilot's left side view of the middle of the heli. I've marked the servos as to which is (A)ileron and which is (E)leveator.

Pilot's left side view of the rear servo linkages.

Pilot's left side view of the rear swashplate.

Rear side view of the rear swashplate.

RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,489 Posts
Wow, thanks for that man that's exactly what I needed to see, now to see if I can build something resembling what you have just shown me.

Thanks Robo.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
Ok, another possible problem found but not sure as this is the first tandem rescue I have seen personally. How are the swashplates supposed to be set? I have 1 that is level and 1 that is definitely not. I am thinking this may be an issue because as I tweak them the flight characteristics get a little better each time and it doesn't try to seesaw and then spin itself off into oblivion. I finally got the gears locked down but one of them has a very very slight wobble to it even on the new shaft.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,297 Posts
I think they should be set to roughly the same angle (e.g measure the link length on one and make sure the other is the same). Mine are also set so that the swash is NOT level but instead is tilted UP at the "zero" stick position. There's only one servo so that's easy to see.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:18 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
One of them was level and the other was at an angle. I am assuming it is something the previous owner did so I am trying to dial it back in. Makes it tricky with 2 different length arms. It is coming along but I wanted to make sure I was on the right track.