HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:13 PM
Constant edits for autocorrect
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
I recently sold my 120SR which is what financed the tandem purchase. I am familiar with that thread and the joys of trying to sort through 990 pages to find something.
rallykid is offline Find More Posts by rallykid
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:32 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Hi rallykid,

Welcome to the Tandem Club!!! We love it when new people discover how awesome these little guys are.

I did indeed swap out the receiver in my Twister Skylift tandem but I put in a FlySky receiver so I could use it with my Turnigy 9x. I found that the Spektrum receivers (AR400 DSMX, AR6100 DSM2) did NOT properly send the rudder signal to the helicopter's 3-in-1. Or...rather the 3-in-1 wasn't smart enough to interpret the rudder signals from the Spektrum receivers. The FlySky receiver worked just fine though so I fly it with that. Now, this only worked because the Twister Skylift has a separate receiver unit from the ESC and mixer unit. Smaller helicopters like the EFlite Rescue, Nine Eagles Twingo, and Walkera YS8001, have fully integrated receiver/mixer units and as such cannot be easily modified to talk to a different transmitter.

The only other helicopter that has a separate receiver and ESC is the Esky Tandem. In fact, I am going to be experimenting with doing the same thing with my Esky Tandem helicopter this weekend with a different DSM2 receiver so I can use my DX6i (hopefully...). I finally got all of the plugs and connectors that (I think!) I need, so wish me luck!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:37 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Hi rallykid,

Welcome to the Tandem Club!!! We love it when new people discover how awesome these little guys are.

I did indeed swap out the receiver in my Twister Skylift tandem but I put in a FlySky receiver so I could use it with my Turnigy 9x. I found that the Spektrum receivers (AR400 DSMX, AR6100 DSM2) did NOT properly send the rudder signal to the helicopter's 3-in-1. Or...rather the 3-in-1 wasn't smart enough to interpret the rudder signals from the Spektrum receivers. The FlySky receiver worked just fine though so I fly it with that. Now, this only worked because the Twister Skylift has a separate receiver unit from the ESC and mixer unit. Smaller helicopters like the EFlite Rescue, Nine Eagles Twingo, and Walkera YS8001, have fully integrated receiver/mixer units and as such cannot be easily modified to talk to a different transmitter.

The only other helicopter that has a separate receiver and ESC is the Esky Tandem. In fact, I am going to be experimenting with doing the same thing with my Esky Tandem helicopter this weekend with a different DSM2 receiver so I can use my DX6i (hopefully...). I finally got all of the plugs and connectors that (I think!) I need, so wish me luck!
I would actually stick with a receiver vor the t9x if you can, as those have the same channel order that esky uses to begin with (fośnd that when switching a t9 receiver into my V4 ... well, one of them anyway ... ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
We'll see. The problem is that the Esky Tandem is small helicopter like the EFlite Tandem. The only RX that I've found which has the same weight and foot print is the 4ch OrangeRX R415. FlySky receivers are all much larger and thus heavier...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
Shipping delay. Looks like I don't get my official tandem club membership until tomorrow.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:52 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
We'll see. The problem is that the Esky Tandem is small helicopter like the EFlite Tandem. The only RX that I've found which has the same weight and foot print is the 4ch OrangeRX R415. FlySky receivers are all much larger and thus heavier...
What if you took one of the 6ch ones OUT of the case (that is what makes a lot of the weight, right ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
That's certainly something to try if I can't get the OrangeRX ones to work. Now I just have to buy one of the 6ch ones. I see xheli has them so I can get one pretty quickly if needed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:41 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
I am anxious awaiting the results of your experiment as with most helis having 1 type isn't enough. I will definitely be looking for another tandem. So far I have 3 MCX2's in various configurations, sold the 120SR to finance the tandem and put a chunk toward the MSRX. Was going for an MCPX after that until I saw the nano CPX that was just announced. I think that is after the MSRX and then a 300 in the Spring.

Hopefully the tandem gets here tomorrow. It has been on the way from Virginia for 2 days thanks to the USPS apparently strapping it to the back of a weasel and pointing it in the general direction of Michigan.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Hi rallykid

I've got six different tandem types now. If you go back a few pages in this thread (it's not that long) you'll see my thoughts and experiences with the Eflite Tandem (the best!), the Nine Eagles Twingo (a clone of the Eflite but still pretty good), the Esky Tandem (can require some wrenching but once tuned flies really well), and the Walkera YS8001 (fun LOUD heli with an egg-shell fragile canopy). Then of course, my most recent acquisition of the Twister Skylift and its conversion to 2.4GHz. Oh, and I've got a S026G 3ch IR tandem and you should definitely grab one of those from Amazon just to add to your collection since they're so (relatively) cheap.

The one thing that I've resigned myself to is that I will just have a lot of transmitters. I've kept all my micro heli collection to either Spektrum or FlySky (e.g. the Turnigy 9x) but the Tandems aren't going to play that nicely.

I got a Walkera 2403 TX because it has a dual rate switch which makes driving th YS8001 much more pleasant. No longer do I feel like I'm dancing on the head of a pin and having to barely brush the elevator forward/backward to get it to tilt.

The Esky Tandem TX does NOT have D/R or anything useful like that and so that's the main reason why I'm trying to get it to fly with a different receiver.

The Nine Eagles Twingo (get them from Hobby King) is like the Eflite Tandem and does not use a servo for elevator control so it's a lot easier to fly. It comes in yellow and cammo canopies so you've got some choices there.

Be sure to set up some nets to catch that weasel when it wanders by your house! Good luck and happy flying!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:33 AM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
The good news is that the tandem is out for delivery today. The bad news is I am stuck in the office until around 8:30 tonight. Cough cough, feeling sick, might have to go home early.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
Got it, flew it, love it. It is going to need some setup and tweaking to even out the speed front to rear as it flies a LOT faster backward than forward and it has a nasty vibe in it so I think it may have a tweaked shaft but other than that it looks like brand new.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
Going to replace the 2 inner shafts and blades on the new tandem. When I pulled it apart and spun it up with no blades the heads vibrated badly. That should take care of the vibe. Then on to fixing the forward speed issue and picking up an extra canopy and landing gear to have on hand. I may re-drill a couple of holes and move the board forward to help balance it a little better.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
Ok, now I have a problem. I replaced the inner shafts and the vibration is gone but the thing see saws like crazy and the motors rev and slowdown. Possibly the motors wearing out or something more sinister cocked up? I have zero tandem experience.
Last edited by rallykid; Sep 10, 2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Stupid iPhone autocorrect
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Yow! Check out the gears as they mesh with the motors. With the power off, turn both shafts separately on the front and the back (one at a time). When you turn one shaft, does it cause the other shaft to turn? As you turn each shaft, do you feel any resistance which might indicate that the gears are binding the motors? Do the gears rotate without any wobble? If you spin up the motors (take the blades, flybars, and canopy off) do one or more of the motors get really hot really quickly while the others remain somewhat cooler?

Some things to check out. I've never experienced what you're seeing before so we'll have to figure it out from various experiments...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
I will check for heat. I spun it up without the blades to check the new shafts for vibration and they are good. No binding at the gears and everything seems to turn smoothly with no wobble at the gears. I am thinking if the motors are shot just picking up 4 MCX2 motors and trying those to give it a little more punch.