HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:53 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,895 Posts
I found the most interesting article today. I was reading a little more about the Twister Skylift and ran across this:

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/ar...sky-lift/2219/

it talks about the original 72MHz Twister Skylift but the guy removed the original receiver and inserted a 2.4GHz Spektrum-compatible RX module into it so he could use it with his DX7. How cool is that?

That got me thinking... my Esky Tandem has a RX module that is separate from the mixer module. I wonder if I could potentially do the same thing with that helicopter? I'd love to actually have D/R and expo for the Esky Tandem! I'm going to have to research that a little more and see what I can learn about Spektrum (or Turnigy for that matter!!!) receivers.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:23 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
I found the most interesting article today. I was reading a little more about the Twister Skylift and ran across this:

it talks about the original 72MHz Twister Skylift but the guy removed the original receiver and inserted a 2.4GHz Spektrum-compatible RX module into it so he could use it with his DX7. How cool is that?

That got me thinking... my Esky Tandem has a RX module that is separate from the mixer module. I wonder if I could potentially do the same thing with that helicopter? I'd love to actually have D/R and expo for the Esky Tandem! I'm going to have to research that a little more and see what I can learn about Spektrum (or Turnigy for that matter!!!) receivers.
If you get a receiver that is small enough - why should this not work ?
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
If you get a receiver that is small enough - why should this not work ?
Just musing about whether there's something "proprietary" about the Esky mixer which would make it incompatible with a DSM2-style receiver. In the worst case, both pieces of electronics would go *POOF* and let the magic blue smoke out... Not eager to have that happen.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:23 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,513 Posts
Quote:

When I had the Twister Skylift, (before they were 2.4GHz) I was using the Eflite EFLH1024 - 4 in 1 - 2.4GHz unit, powered with a larger mAh 2s battery, and using the Spektrum DX7 tx. It worked very well!
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,895 Posts
How cool!!! Thanks for the info, flyeraroo! The Skylift seems like it might be a really neat project to convert from the stock TX/RX to a modern protocol. Maybe I'll have to keep my eyes open for a used one sometime.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:10 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,013 Posts
Quote:
How cool!!! Thanks for the info, flyeraroo! The Skylift seems like it might be a really neat project to convert from the stock TX/RX to a modern protocol. Maybe I'll have to keep my eyes open for a used one sometime.
if you looking for used tandems ... there was a tandem rescue in the classifieds (sorry, no skylift)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:14 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
What a Eflite tandem? I'm still really tempted to get one, I have the board for one which I have a proper tinker with for converting a Syma tandem to DSM2
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,895 Posts
Fortunately, I do have a EFlite Rescue in very good working condition.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:54 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Fortunately, I do have a EFlite Rescue in very good working condition.
That is probably because you have not replaced half the parts and kept it as stock
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
That is probably because you have not replaced half the parts and kept it as stock
!!!

What's to replace? I mean, I guess you could replace the swashplate, shafts, and head with MicroHeli stuff--but why? The Rescue flies extremely well and I can't imagine adding the additional weight. It's much more fun as a flying model than a shelf queen.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:03 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
I wish I picked up a spares or repairs rescue when I saw it for 10 buy it now on eBay.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,895 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post

LOL. I missed this the first time. Scotsoft is teasing me.

Seriously though, upgrading to a 2.4GHz system seems like a very reasonable upgrade to me. I've heard tell that numerous parts from the Blade CX can be used in the old Twister Skylift.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:55 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
It is OK the British sense of humour has often caused the wrong impression but you should have known me better

It does sound like a good project although I have never seen a secondhand one come anywhere. Perhaps the CX2 might be an more available project
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,895 Posts

I just need to remember to re-read a few posts up sometimes so I can remember the context of the conversation. I'm following too many threads simultaneously.

On another topic, I had an odd experience with my Esky Tandem yesterday. I was flying it around my studio when suddenly I lost aileron control. The servo seemed to lock up in the center position. I barely got the heli down before it smacked into a wall and shattered the blades (not to mention the landing gear!) Even power cycling the heli didn't fix it. However, I found that by exercising the servo manually with my finger (with the power off) I was able to get it to move properly again.

Hmmm... perhaps it's time to pick up a few spare servos for this heli.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,895 Posts
Uh oh. Now I've done it. I found a "never flown" RTF 72MHz Twister Skylift on ebay last week and won it.

Here's the RCG review of this heli:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934957

It's BIG. At least for my experience. The blade diameter alone is as big as my Tandem Rescue! I had to clear off an entire shelf on my heli-rack just so I would have a place to store it.

Still, it looks fantastic and sounds terribly exciting when the blades spool up. I've put it through two hover-only flights this weekend as I try to get used to how big it is. Of course, flying it with the 72MHz TX / RX is weird for me (huge aerial antenna on the TX and a "drag-tenna" on the RX) so I went out to my LHS before it closed yesterday and bought myself a Spektrum AR400 4channel DSMX receiver and installed that instead.

I only got as far as successfully binding it to my DX6i and verifying that all of the channels (save for rudder) are correct. I put everything back together and then went to bed last night as I didn't want the "maiden" with this new RX to be done while I was dead tired. Plus if I crashed there's NO way I could just put it down and go to sleep!

Wish me luck, everyone, I'll by trying it out tonight when I get home. I'm excited though as now I've got D/R and expo options that I can select!

Edit : Thanks also to flyeraroo for sending me the spec sheet for this heli's RX/3-in-1 setup. I took that to my LHS and showed it to them in order to make sure that I was getting the right thing! This is my first experience using a separate RX like this.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RoboHeli; Aug 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Credit where credit is due!!!