Old May 13, 2012, 07:23 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Hi guys

I've got another potential cross-company challenge for you.

I want to move the placement of my Esky Tandem battery forward so that I can get it to hover without having to shove the elevator trim all the way forward. However, I need a longer battery cable to reach the RX. I gather that all I need is a little extension cable of some kind but I need the right plug. Here's what the battery looks like:

and the plug that connects to the RX is the 2-pin one on the right. This plug looks VERY much like the plug that I use to charge my Walkera YS8001 Tandem battery and so I'm wondering whether there exists either a Esky battery extension cable or a Walkera battery extension cable that would work for me. Barring that, I'm happy to make my own extension cable if I can just fine a source for the plugs. Anybody have any advice for me on this? My Google searching so far hasn't turned up a whole lot yet.
What you could do is cut the wire from the battery to the charge plug and insert the extension in the middle using two female and two male JST plugs.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 12:50 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
What you could do is cut the wire from the battery to the charge plug and insert the extension in the middle using two female and two male JST plugs.
Mmmm... true. I've seen JST plugs around a lot. None of my little micro helis use them but they seem to be pretty popular with the larger ones. They're probably a bit more commonplace than the other (Walkera) ones. On the other hand, I did see that my Esky tandem batteries ARE compatible with the Walkera tabs. Hmmm...maybe I'll get some of each and try it out.

Next question : what gauge wire should I use? 28? 26? Something thicker?
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2012, 02:57 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Hmm... I wonder if these are what I want:

http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...cdukbhtq6jv375
Those look right: Losi/Walkera connectors.

I've bought them before. The 26 ought to be heavy enough, and I'm not sure those pins will accept anything heavier. You can email Glenn there and ask though.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Last edited by SubtleT; May 13, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Battery question.

When I finish flying my eflite rescue and my nine eagles Twingo, sometimes it feels like my batteries are a little "puffy". That is, when I remove them (and they're still quite warm) it feels like their surface has a little bit more give and is kinda squishy or something. I was concerned about them but then when they cool that goes away. Is that just normal heat expansion in the 250mAh battery or is that something to worry about? They don't stay "puffed" and that never happens when charging.

Thoughts?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Hmm... I wonder if these are what I want:

http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...cdukbhtq6jv375

Hey all,

So I got these connectors in the mail today and made my battery extension cable. I just soldered a male to a female and tie-wrapped the extra to the mainframe of the heli next to the other cables. That let me push my battery tray all the way forward to the front skids.

SUCCESS!

I now have a much better balanced Esky Tandem. I also moved the servo rods to a set of holes on the servo horns that give me greater swashplate travel. This lets me really exercise the swashplate to get greater forward speed. The aileron roll authority of the swashplate is now greatly increased as well. This thing flies much better than before.

The only other modification I made was to cut the swashplate guides on the mainframe pieces so that they aren't a closed loop (like a MicroHeli MCX mainframe) and instead are open at the top (like a stock MCX mainframe). That gives me a few mm of extra travel on my swashplates that wasn't possible before. However, I'm not in any danger of having the swashplates pop out.

Now, the only other thing to do is to try to kill the rear shaft vibration. I got a completely new set of parts (inner & outer shaft, blade grips, hubs, etc...) from XHeli so I'll spend some time on that problem soon. I figure I'll just keep replacing parts until the vibration goes away...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Quote:
I've got another problem with my Esky Tandem. The shaft vibration that I thought I got rid of with the Walkera flybar weights is back. The rear shaft vibrates something fierce at various motor speeds.

I've not had to deal with a vibrating shaft before but it's pretty bad sometimes. Could this be indicative of a bent shaft? How would I be able to tell save for spending the $$$ to get a new one and try it out? I'm guessing it might also be a unbalanced flybar (again) or else blades that aren't balanced... not sure where to start on this one
VIBRATION PROBLEM SOLVED

I got a bunch of spare parts for my Esky Tandem from XHeli this week. The idea was that I'd start by looking for a bent shaft and start replacing parts as the problem persisted. I tried the "roll" test and found a shaft that seemed to roll along a glass table and stop without rolling back and forth. I don't know if that's perfectly an indication of a straight shaft, but I figured it would be worth a shot. Then I re-seated the motors. I then selected new blades pairs and weighed them so that they would be as closely matched as possible. Finally, I put it all back together after lubing the shaft and bearings with some break-free CLP.

The first flight after that seemed to indicate that the main source of the vibrations had been solved. However, the helicopter was still kicking and bucking in the air like there was still something vibrating.

And then the front lower blade motor failed.

It did so when I was low enough to the ground that it didn't cause me to crash (though I have plenty of spare landing gears!!!) I replaced the "B" motor pair with a new set. It turns out that I had just replaced the "A" set a few weeks ago. I guess the rule of thumb is to swap out ALL motors when one fails on a coaxial.

I took it up again and it was SMOOTH. The Esky Tandem is still a bit squirrely in the air, especially when compared to my other tandems, but with the new motors and the balanced blades, it was a night and day difference. I am now looking to take it outdoors to my backyard again and really open up the throttle.

Oh, I also didn't have to have the elevator trim pushed all the way forward, either this time. It's amazing how much difference a good set of motors makes! Time to buy another spare set! Hooray!!!

Hmmm..

You know the old adage about the "squeaky wheel gets the oil"? Well, this helicopter has been nothing but trouble since its ill-fated maiden flight when I drove it into a wall as I didn't know how to handle a tandem with servo-controlled elevator. I have nearly a complete set of spare parts required to build a new one (just missing the mainframe and shaft I think). It's spent the most time grounded. I've taken it apart and replaced so many parts to keep it flying, you'd think it was the product of another vendor (Yes Scotsoft, that's a poke at you ). All of the other tandems, including the Walkera YS8001, Nine Eagles Twingo, and E-Flite Rescue have had NO PROBLEMS at all (well, the Walkera fuselage DOES crack when you crash, so I've had to fix that with CA a couple of times) in terms of the electrical or mechanical components. I hope other folks with the Esky Tandem have had better luck than I have!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 03:11 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,671 Posts
@Roboheli hey dude, congrats on getting it flying properly again, forgive me if I have asked you this before but could you tell me the model/part number of te Tx that you use with your Twingo?
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old May 28, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Hey djdavies83. I got my Twingo from clubheli.com It came with this transmitter:

http://www.clubheli.com/Nine-Eagles-...52_p_2771.html

Nine Eagles Twingo Transmitter - NE3030022402052

It works fine. I'm not a fan of the gameboy-ish feel of it but there's nothing functionally wrong with it. I wish I knew whether the low-end NE helis could use a programmable radio of some sort. The only control complaint I have is that unlike other helicopters I seem to always have to ride the throttle on this one. The "sweet spot" for keeping it at a fixed altitude is very small and so I'm always having to continuously adjust my throttle as I fly. I think a programmable throttle curve would definitely help that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Puffed lipo?

Hi,

My Twingo batteries:

http://www.clubheli.com/Nine-Eagles-...02_p_2766.html

tend to feel a little "puffy" when they warm up after being flown. That is, I can squeeze them a little and they there is a little give to them like there's air in there. The same is true for the Tandem Rescue batteries sometimes but they always "deflate" when they cool down.

One of my Twingo batteries didn't deflate tonight. In fact, it feels a bit more puffy than before. It flew great (no shortened life) but now I'm paranoid about the puffiness. Time to pitch it? What do you folks think?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:09 AM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,116 Posts
I have a Blade mcx Tandem: The problem is, even with a fully charged battery, it takes off and immediately starts to sink. As soon as it lands my transmitter, DX8, loses bind. It just goes blink, blink, when i move the throttle. If I un-plug and replug it just does the same thing over again.
This is my rainy day/late night bird and I do enjoy flying it occasionally.
Checked my batteries voltage = 4.1v on both of them and they seem to fly my Champ (plane) just fine.

Any ideas? Not worth spending big bucks on as I got it late in the cycle for $60. If I could find another at that price I'd just buy another.

Thanks for your help,
Gary in Salisbury, MD
glmccready is online now Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:34 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
I have a Blade mcx Tandem: The problem is, even with a fully charged battery, it takes off and immediately starts to sink. As soon as it lands my transmitter, DX8, loses bind. It just goes blink, blink, when i move the throttle. If I un-plug and replug it just does the same thing over again.
This is my rainy day/late night bird and I do enjoy flying it occasionally.
Checked my batteries voltage = 4.1v on both of them and they seem to fly my Champ (plane) just fine.

Any ideas? Not worth spending big bucks on as I got it late in the cycle for $60. If I could find another at that price I'd just buy another.

Thanks for your help,
Gary in Salisbury, MD
I have 4 MCX Tandems that I bought used along with various chargers, batteries, etc.

I experienced the same problem with some of my batteries. They seem to charge up but will not lift the tandem. I think the 4 motors need a lot of current draw that those batteries cannot provide.

My other batteries work fine with 6 min flight times and 3.8V remaining.

Member 'CSRC Tech Crew' apparently sent me a new updated battery to test a while ago but it has not shown up.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Last edited by gordonzo; Jun 12, 2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: more
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
@glmccready : Yeah, I'd try a new battery from your LHS first before looking into any other cause of the problem.

Quote:
My Twingo batteries tend to feel a little "puffy" when they warm up after being flown. That is, I can squeeze them a little and they there is a little give to them like there's air in there. However, one of my Twingo batteries didn't deflate tonight. In fact, it feels a bit more puffy than before. It flew great (no shortened life) but now I'm paranoid about the puffiness. Time to pitch it? What do you folks think?
So I decided to call clubheli.com (where I got the Twingo) and talked to one of the guys there. He said that's probably a sign that the battery is going bad and should be discarded. I've heard lots of horror stories about puffy lipos on these forums and other places and while I don't exactly expect the helicopter to suddenly burst into flames because the battery exploded, I figure I might as well replace it to be on the safe side.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:56 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,116 Posts
Thanks Gordon and Robo: I'll see if i can round up some new batteries.
glmccready is online now Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:19 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Review of the G.T. Model 9003 Chinook with Aluminum Fuselage

I recently purchased a G.T.Model Chinook 9003 3-Channel Aluminum Alloy tandem helicopter from Focalprice. I have previously flown Syma S026 & S022, Blade MCX Tandem Rescue, and Litehawk Duo.

The G.T. Model 9003 is similar in size and flight characteristics to the Syma S026, but I think the aluminum fuselage on the 9003 really ups the cool factor. I purchased it (from Focalprice) because it is so unique, and I have not seen a heli like this for sale anywhere else. Seriously, tandem fans, this aluminum bodied tandem will really stand out in your collection.

My impressions:

- very unique and sturdy aluminum body held together with screws
- looks awesome on display
- battery is 3.7V 260mah
- fuselage 6-1/2" long, weight 72g
- strong motors, good lift power, easy to maintain level flight
- requires trimming during flight same as others in this class
- flys similar to other small tandems like the S026
- like most I/R helis, this system does not like direct sunlight (ask me how I know)
- some gear noises are transmitted throught the aluminum (you can hear it in the video below)
- flight time ~4 minutes (similar to what I got with my S026)

In summary - this is great addition to your tandem collection. These small tandems are not as fast as a regular coaxial, but they are more fun and challenging to fly, and definitely more cool.

My heli came with an A/C charger with Asia plug rather than USB charger. I notified Focalprice and they responded promptly that they notified their product department.
Photos and a video with a short demo flight at the end.

Edit: This link will take you to the item in case anyone is interested. Sometimes coupons are available for a small discount - you just have to check around.
9003review.wmv (3 min 34 sec)
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Last edited by gordonzo; Jun 12, 2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: added link
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Great review, gordonzo! Very cool!
RCG Plus Member