HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2011, 02:20 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
288 Posts
Question
Small/compact deep cycle battery?

I hope this is the appropriate forum for this. But I'm looking to see if there's a deep cycle battery that is as small as this that will fit inside a field box.

Basically I'm looking for something with a lot more Ah, that I can use to drive my fuel pump, starter motor, as well as have enough juice to charge my lipos for electric planes. These are only 3S ~2000-2500 mAh lipos. So I don't need a ton of capacity as I'm not doing anything crazy like 6S 6500 mAh lipos a zillion times.

If possible I'd like to get something that will readily fit in the premade field boxes so I can still bring just one box with me and not have to build a separate charging box.
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2011, 02:27 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,634 Posts
More Ah means larger. Do a Goggle on AGM batteriesl

Here is one source

http://www.batteryweb.com/toyo.cfm
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 09, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 04:48 PM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
I know I am going to get one of these http://www.batterystuff.com/batterie...ron-batteries/ the next time my cycle needs a battery. Maybe Charles can weigh in as to how LiFePO4 would compare to deep cycle lead as to the ueasble amount of amphours?

Lots of cool batteries at this site!
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old Feb 09, 2011, 04:52 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,634 Posts
They cost more than I am willing to pay. I have heard of to many large Non A123 Systems LiFePO4 cells (batteries) failing way to soon.

Have you seen / read this Thread . One cell DOA

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382017

Charles
Old Feb 09, 2011, 05:06 PM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
My Hughes 500 C auxilliary start cart used a huge 24 volt Catapillar Bulldozer battery. The Allison turbine starter required 24 volts.

You would not like to know what a 24 volt gel cell pack costs for a jet helicopter!!! WHEW!!!
THAT's why I built the aux start cart. Starter engagement was easily 20 to 30 seconds. I always used the aux cart when possible to save wear on the gel pack (each cell could be removed and replaced and the batt had to be tested twice a year. Cha-ching!

To get back on point .... your $20 batts seem to be a bargain.
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old Feb 09, 2011, 05:19 PM
Joined Jul 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
More Ah means larger. Do a Golle on AGM batteriesl

Here is one source

http://www.batteryweb.com/toyo.cfm
Yeah, I figured it would be hard. Some of the LiFe ones might be promising but don't want to drop that $$$ if they're going to crap out.

Oh well, I'll keep looking for something that might work.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 05:27 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,634 Posts
4-13-2005 I paid a little over $100 for a spiral cell AGM Exide deep cycle a mighty 48Ahs.

In 2007 I purchased two 125Ah flooded cell deep cycles for just under $150 for the pair.

Today against my better judment I ordered a Optima yellow top 48Ah spiral cell AGM and even with a $50 off cupon it was $171 . Only good thing about it is that it has a 3 year non prorated replacement warranty. I plan on killing it in two years ,perhaps less so we shall see.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 09, 2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:55 PM
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
502 Posts
I have access to 12 volt 17 Amp hour SLA cells from our rack mount UPS system. Four per UPS X 4 3KW units. We replace them every two years and I use the takeouts for field charging etc. Small, sealed, bolt connections and weight about 10 pounds each. Price is right. New cells are about $35 each.

Can get several recharges out of each charged battery.

For the whole day flying days I use a deep cycle wet cell.
Hugh P is online now Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old Feb 09, 2011, 08:12 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
I hope this is the appropriate forum for this. But I'm looking to see if there's a deep cycle battery that is as small as this that will fit inside a field box.

Basically I'm looking for something with a lot more Ah, that I can use to drive my fuel pump, starter motor, as well as have enough juice to charge my lipos for electric planes. These are only 3S ~2000-2500 mAh lipos. So I don't need a ton of capacity as I'm not doing anything crazy like 6S 6500 mAh lipos a zillion times.

If possible I'd like to get something that will readily fit in the premade field boxes so I can still bring just one box with me and not have to build a separate charging box.
How many times would you like to charge those 3s packs?
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Feb 09, 2011, 08:51 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
4-13-2005 I paid a little over $100 for a spiral cell AGM Exide deep cycle a mighty 48Ahs.

In 2007 I purchased two 125Ah flooded cell deep cycles for just under $150 for the pair.

Today against my better judment I ordered a Optima yellow top 48Ah spiral cell AGM and even with a $50 off cupon it was $171 . Only good thing about it is that it has a 3 year non prorated replacement warranty. I plan on killing it in two years ,perhaps less so we shall see.

Charles
What moved you to get the Optima?
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Feb 09, 2011, 09:55 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Blueapplepaste - think you might've answered your own question with the battery you posted up above. Motorcycle and car batteries will be the order of the day for you.

To be honest, I'd recommend a larger Ah motorcycle battery. Gel-mat is supposedly more long-lived, but the good old lead-acids are cheap and I've never had a problem with them. You have an idea of the rating you want? A lead-acid/glass-matt 12Ah isn't overly large and it'd get you through a few charges and still have charge to spare. Throw it on a 1~2.5A charger when you get home and it'll love it.

I believe that a small car battery can be had for around the $100 mark and will often have a warranty on it of at least 12 months. It'll have 100+ Ah in it, too, so is hard to beat for the money. A 2.5A charger will run you about $20~30 and keep the battery in decent nick, although a 4 to 5A charger would be best.

One thing I'd definitely recommend if you DO use lead-acid is to top it off with a 5% cadmium-sulphate solution. About 7ml per cell (x6 vells for 12v battery) should give you a nice, prolonged battery life. Available in most auto stores under the name of something like 'battery reviver' for about $5~10. Well worth it.

Anyway, the short version is to get a lead-acid motorcycle or car battery and just use that with an appropriate charger for when you get home. One tip if you plan on keeping the waranty valid is to keep the terminals reasonably unmarked - I've had warranty refused in the past for having terminals with scratches on them.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Feb 09, 2011, 10:14 PM
Joined Jul 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
How many times would you like to charge those 3s packs?
Well I'm figuring maybe a total of 4-6 times. Max. Right now I have 3 packs I'm using, that I can bring to the field charged. So if I get 4-6 flights, I'd need to charge them up in between.

And again, these are the largest packs that I'll be using for the foreseeable future; for bigger stuff I'm sticking with glow.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 10:41 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
Well I'm figuring maybe a total of 4-6 times. Max. Right now I have 3 packs I'm using, that I can bring to the field charged. So if I get 4-6 flights, I'd need to charge them up in between.

And again, these are the largest packs that I'll be using for the foreseeable future; for bigger stuff I'm sticking with glow.
There is a thread somewhere with more accurate info on how much you can charge from a SLA battery. You have to keep in mind that there are losses in the charging process so that battery you linked will probably only get you a couple charges.
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:04 AM
Cookie
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,177 Posts
Hi blueapplepaste,

I am aware you asked about deep cycle but I am using this cyclic 'mobility' battery: http://www.batterymart.com.au/dispde...12171814060998

I have a modified Thunder Tiger Box that just takes guzoline and battery with bits on top. Even this MaH weighs a tonne but it is good.

Doubles as my small Minn Kota batt too.
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:25 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
i use a flightmax 3s5000 ma for everything but charging, but, if my batteries have come down only 50% used i top up from one to the other with a light weight accucel 6

hope that helps
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer