HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:58 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
The Maiden Voyage

The radio was checked out and found to be running properly. The sound system works great, but inside the cabin is pretty muffled. Unfortunately there's not much we can do about that without placing an UGLY speaker grill on the cabin...

Using a 430 mah 3S Lip for the sound system and a 2500 mah 2S Lipo for the motor power, she sits right on the water line due to the extreme weight -- over 22 oz. in the sound system alone. But in spite of that, the model ran GREAT!!! Much better then expected, and at 2/3 power plains off nicely for a very scale speed and appearance. It's dead stable, and turns beautifully at both idle and cruising speeds.

Unfortunately, at full throttle the water crawls up the sides and pours in over the rear deck, so the speed had to be limited to keep the water on the outside where it belongs.

Almost Done: Next up is to get the name on. I think too that I'm going to pull the prop shafts and hone them down a couple thousandths in the lathe as the left side runs just a skoash tight and is a bit noisy. From there, she's finished.

Overall, this has been a terrific project. The kit itself wasn't bad, though there were some fairly serious fit problems with the hull frames, and if I had it to do again I would eliminate every other frame since they were so close together, closer then need be since the hull was planked rather then sheeted. But in the end, was worth all the effort just to see this vintage kit come to life.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:14 AM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,196 Posts
Sweet it look's sooooooo good.
Sharky1dk is offline Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:55 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,653 Posts
Man oh Man how cool is that!!. She looks great! See what a skilled craftsman can do! You took something old and made it a lot better. I like to see things from another time built and put to use today. Great Job.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:33 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,714 Posts
PAT- That Owens turned out great. As for the water crawling up the side of the hull, install a set of spray knockers a little above the water line starting at the bow and going back to the front of the cabin. This will not only stop the water and spray from coming up on the deck , but it also helps to lift the bow when cutting thru wakes.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:20 PM
Central Florida
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Aug 2008
262 Posts
On the outside looking in...... One thing you might do is put some curtains in the back side windows and possibly the large windows just to rear of side doors. You could cut the windows and move the front half back like the windows were open to get a breeze. It would let the sound out at the same time. But what a beautiful boat you have.
r/cjunkie is offline Find More Posts by r/cjunkie
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:36 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,840 Posts
Fantastic looking yacht, Pat! Great job! She looks great on the water!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:49 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,065 Posts
Very nice...
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:24 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,034 Posts
Beautiful,Pat, just plain beautiful.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:29 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,451 Posts
It is really nice to see the potential beauty of these old, rather basic kits brought out by a fine craftsman, Pat. If only they were a bit larger, they would be a larger canvas for your artistry. Thanks for sharing her and the build process with us.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:10 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
The Last Finishing Touches

OK, got the windows removed from the rear of the cabin and and replaced with black screen, so the openings for the sound to escape are there, without being obnoctious about it. The change looks good and works great.

The last step was to add the name, and with that, the Owens is officially finished.

In the end, though the kit was a challenge to build, it turned into a good looking great running model. Meanwhile, I have another old Dumas kit stashed away in the shed, the Chris-Craft 35' Sport Fisherman, and as soon as I get a few other more pressing projects finished might just have to drag it out and see if it turns out as nice as this one did.

PAT
Old Sep 02, 2011, 05:43 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,065 Posts
Nice ending. Love the name.
I'd have to go with something like "I Owe, I Owe, It's Off To Work I Go". Way too long for a transom.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:08 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
I'd have to go with something like "I Owe, I Owe, It's Off To Work I Go". Way too long for a transom.

Woody, "I think you're going to need a bigger boat".....

PAT
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:21 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle View Post
Woody, "I think you're going to need a bigger boat".....

PAT
LOL!!!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:41 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,753 Posts
Will it have a captain Pat with a cigar?
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:05 PM
Crash tester
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
850 Posts
WOW!

Thats an amazing build!

I've been working on one of these kits for the last 7 years. I pull it out, work on it, realize I need more skill at something, and it gets put away again. I pulled it out last week and am still working on the ribbing.

It was my father's, and he bought it when it first came out, but never got around to it. when he retired, he left it for me to finish.

Thanks for posting this build thread, You've inspired me to keep at it.
Drunkskunk is offline Find More Posts by Drunkskunk