HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:41 PM
Mr. Breeze
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Nov 2009
2,778 Posts
Nice build Bill! Now go spook the neighbors! I would shim the top of the motor mount, and not the bottom to try and tweak the thrust line. But note that most GB's do have a nose up attitude in flight. Makes it slow and floaty, sweet for a parkflyer.
Ho-Jazz is offline Find More Posts by Ho-Jazz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:41 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,156 Posts
I see a pretty full stack of fan fold foam in the background. What are ya building next?...
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:59 PM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho-Jazz View Post
Nice build Bill! Now go spook the neighbors! I would shim the top of the motor mount, and not the bottom to try and tweak the thrust line. But note that most GB's do have a nose up attitude in flight. Makes it slow and floaty, sweet for a parkflyer.
+1 on that hojazz. The geobat excels at a slow, kinda high alpha cruising. It will slow to a walking pace with a slight headwind. I don't think I ever get above 1/2 throttle. On a 400 size motor and 3s 2200 pack I can easily fly 15-18 minutes. Put lights on it and freak out your neighbors!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:23 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Lets get a little feedback my thought about the washers under the bottom is because on tractor airplane the motor has a nose down attitude and the GeoBat is a pusher motor thus the opposite angel What do you think ??
Photo shoot after some stickers added,Don't tell mother I stole a Easter egg and made some covers for the servos !!

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:26 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Oh Boy !

Rich I am thinking of a Fly-Guy for my next project!

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mud Duck Bill; Dec 07, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:22 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
GeoBat - New build questions

I'm ready for another foamie project and your GeoBat has caught my eye.

Where I fly, I really need landing wheels. Can the 36" build work with gear on it? The nose wheel I saw in some pictures seems fixed, does it turn or is it fixed?

I expect to build using the KF wing style.

Is the 4 aileron setup I see notes about really Elevons (split elev) in the build plus Ailerons?

Do most builds use a single rudder servo with the cross-rod to control the other vertical rudder, or is adding the 6th servo for the 2nd rudder worth it to allow for air-brakes or other "Mix" type stuff that can be dreamed up on the TX?

bc
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:51 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher View Post
I'm ready for another foamie project and your GeoBat has caught my eye.

Where I fly, I really need landing wheels. Can the 36" build work with gear on it? The nose wheel I saw in some pictures seems fixed, does it turn or is it fixed?

I expect to build using the KF wing style.

Is the 4 aileron setup I see notes about really Elevons (split elev) in the build plus Ailerons?

Do most builds use a single rudder servo with the cross-rod to control the other vertical rudder, or is adding the 6th servo for the 2nd rudder worth it to allow for air-brakes or other "Mix" type stuff that can be dreamed up on the TX?

bc
All great questions.....
I've only put landing gear on one model and that was the one with Tigger on it.
That landing gear was for a Flyzone Cessna 182 that I adapted to the GeoBat.
It is steerable and the nose gear has working shocks.
But it's a rarity that I get to fly it because my runway is too rough and the wheels can only be so big with this set up.
I use 1 rudder servo for each rudder.... or 1 up front with micro 90 aileron bell cranks. This plane doesn't need air brakes or anything like that.
It is a slow floatie super stable machine. I almost always bring mine it at a crawl and catch it with my hand. (can be seen in videos posted earlier in thread)
Good luck and thanks for your interest!
pecanpatch is offline Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pecanpatch; Dec 08, 2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:16 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Hi Mark:
I have had another flight with my GeoBat but it was short the weather turned sower fast and I had to pack up and go. I will try to get a video soon but sense I am still hobbling around on only one good leg it may be some time !
Having fun and still tweaking it a little Camera mount next !

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:13 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,292 Posts
This video has been posted here before........
But just for inspiration, here we again:
This one has a E-flight 450 in it.

GeoBat Foamie Demo Flight (2 min 40 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tiggers Big Show
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:54 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
Pecan: Thanks for the info.

I will forget the wheels, plan on hand catching it.

Is this image I found off the www.geobat.com site show how a 4 aileron setup is configured? Two inside the center opening plus the two on the outer sides of the circular wing?

Or do you split the elevator in the back into two pieces and use Elevon there to provide the added roll surfaces?

bc
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:00 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher View Post
Pecan: Thanks for the info.

I will forget the wheels, plan on hand catching it.

Is this image I found off the www.geobat.com site show how a 4 aileron setup is configured? Two inside the center opening plus the two on the outer sides of the circular wing?

Or do you split the elevator in the back into two pieces and use Elevon there to provide the added roll surfaces?

bc
I dont split the elevator. I have done one with true elevons....

The Geobat has a slow roll rate. The set up with 2 ailerons on each side is what your looking at. Here is a video of how I did that on a foamie and it worked well.
Radio Control Foamie Geobat (1 min 10 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:21 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,292 Posts
This motor mount would work on a GeoBat if you guys are interested.

http://blueskyrc.com/index.php?main_...products_id=60
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:07 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Ok fellas here's the deal my GeoBat flys good at slow speed almost crawl it is flat not much nose up,as soon as I add power the nose pulls high and it plows the air with a slow climb rate.
Now my motor mount is centered in the as far as height goes that is to say I have just as much prop above the tail plane as I do below it. Is this contributing to the plowing effect ? Should the motor be sitting on top of the saucer section ? I took the liberty to lower it down inline with the center of the saucer and in the middle of the tail plane. Maybe not a good idea ? This motor mount you have in the previous posts looks like the ticket just screw to the plywood plate and go what do you think?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:43 AM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,156 Posts
Mine climbs with full power. I like flying slower so I haven't bothered to try anything different with the motor mount. One thing I did try - add some more nose weight in the form of a camera- the geobat is nice and stable for video and such.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:12 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,292 Posts
Bill,
I swear the KF moves the CG forward........ then you have a double KF
With the motor high mounted; the more power you add.... the more it helps push the nose down........ so yes raise it up!

Note my Sail plane at full throttle will do 15' diameter loops hands off!
RCG Plus Member