HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2012, 04:18 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
Well, when you flex a plate with surface mount you will damage the board eventually... this is why laptop motherboards go bad so often... carrying the laptop from one corner.
Yours is the bettery design Tom. The on-board traces and connectors are more 'gimmicy' to me. Juz had to mod his DL Rx to fit them...which did work out pretty well...but not all systems will probably mate the same. The on-board OSD can certainly be useful. When you add it up, it's more expensive than the HT-FPV frame, provides no weight savings, focuses all landing weight on the end of each arm...vs distributing it along the arm length, and it's just not as pretty. Would I buy the Trappy one? NO WAY...The HT-FPV frame is a much better deal if you ask me. Okay, the arms would take a little longer to replace in case of breakage, but they're also less likely to break IMHO. The only thing I want to do with my HT-FPV frame is mount some sort of tilt mechanism on the front. 'That' frame had a picture of a Servocity tilt mechanism that might be worth trying. I'm stick'n with my HT-FPV!!!
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 04:28 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansAuf View Post
That and the gallons of drinks that are constantly spilled into them.
Guilty here
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old May 17, 2012, 04:42 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,537 Posts
You're bound to see tons of FPV frames popping up all over the place now. They'll be this variation, that variation, etc. Heck, I have a graveyard of frames that I need to go through and see what can be sold versus thrown away that I've collected over the last few years. Very few from crashes, but most of them because of the fact that I simply did not like them (I'm the same with controller boards, ESC's, Motors, etc). I am STILL flying my original VC450. So far, my VC450 and HTFPV work for me. They fly exactly like I want them to, I can mount what I need on them. So do I buy/fly other frames? Yep, but for different purposes (little sport/aeros and large hexas). After these and my satisfaction level, you'd be hard pressed to move me to a different specific frame for FPV at this point without showing me something pretty spectacular. But I always try to look at it this way. each time someone makes something new, shiny, or cool, it just makes this section of the hobby advance faster and faster.
HansAuf is offline Find More Posts by HansAuf
Old May 17, 2012, 07:08 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,937 Posts
Yeah, I think we'll see more frames like this, it's just the way to go for FPV.

I know I was getting bored with flying quads, and now I get excited about flying all over again when I pull out my FPV frame. It's like a whole new hobby.
Old May 17, 2012, 07:57 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmie View Post
Actually this is the very reason I am thinking to not post my FPV flights. It kind of goes along the same thinking as to why I decided not to get my HAM license. I just dont want the exposure when the crack down begins. The Gov always goes after the most public or law abiding people first it seems. I feel FPV gear will be regulated at some point and like Tom said, a license or cert of some kind. I will stay under the radar for as long as I can. I am lucky enough to live and be able to fly in remote non public locations.
bingo. Such a sad thing. I just know our government has nothing better to do and wants the drones/UAVS to their own control not civilian, even though the civilian community pretty much developed the technology
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old May 17, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Well, I changed from that motor layout for a reason. I had problems with bank not flat, but pitching forward. Also lots of vibes from props being so close. So I spread it out a bit more.
thats because you're actually designing a product thats yours. Sure the VC-20-450 was a variation of the Guia 330 but the HT FPV Ralphie (I'll call it that till the day I die) is a product you developed all your own with input from a bunch of folks.

Team Blacksheep does nothing but modify other peoples products, and charge double the cost. Like their Seawolf Pixim.... All they did was buy the cheapest plate one, waterproof it and put their naming convention on it like its the most ingenious FPV camera on the planet.

Along with the Zephyr. And now this, quad chassis plates with DJI arms that vibrate too much (hence so many for sale in the classifieds) and other parts.

What bothers me the most is that a lot of them seem like they're not US citizens, and seeing as they're the biggest influence in FPV, they'll be referred to when the hammer drops and laws are put in place.

Then everyone will blame the US government when it was those clowns flying around NYC. The last place in the WORLD anyone should be FPVing.
Old May 17, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I think we'll see more frames like this, it's just the way to go for FPV.

I know I was getting bored with flying quads, and now I get excited about flying all over again when I pull out my FPV frame. It's like a whole new hobby.
Agreed on the knockoff sites its already started happening. I'm seeing turtle style FPV frames everywhere. And now we have Civilian FPV toys like the toy grade "Spyhawk FPV".

Like a gun, people should not be FPVing unless they've been taught the basic rules of the hobby.

Flite Test - Spyhawk FPV - REVIEW (8 min 28 sec)
Old May 17, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Wonderful exposure for us with names like "Spyhawk." Stupid choice if you ask me.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old May 17, 2012, 09:44 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,937 Posts
yeah, the FPV frame was a product of this thread. I came up with a baseline of what I wanted and you guys helped guide me get it right. So it's no surprise it that it works so well, we have a lot of talented people in this thread.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:22 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,199 Posts
Quote:
yeah, the FPV frame was a product of this thread. I came up with a baseline of what I wanted and you guys helped guide me get it right. So it's no surprise it that it works so well, we have a lot of talented people in this thread.
Yeah, but you did the ground work on your own...then mentioned it here...and got some final tweaking ideas. The HT-FPV is YOUR baby...and what a wonderful child it is!!!!
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 11:07 PM
Gainesville, FL
Joined Dec 2005
365 Posts
Just some random pics I found of my VC-450 from Easter while sorting through them:

Al Austria is offline Find More Posts by Al Austria
Old May 17, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Yeah, but you did the ground work on your own...then mentioned it here...and got some final tweaking ideas. The HT-FPV is YOUR baby...and what a wonderful child it is!!!!
don't forget the wife!
Old May 17, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Austria View Post
Just some random pics I found of my VC-450 from Easter while sorting through them:

that is a FANTASTIC layout for an FPV VC-20-450... Very nice work.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:28 PM
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Apr 2003
300 Posts
Tom sorry could not wait.
I am really excited to get my new frames changed out to try out.
Laddy McMurry is offline Find More Posts by Laddy McMurry
Old May 18, 2012, 11:04 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmie View Post
I will stay under the radar for as long as I can. I am lucky enough to live and be able to fly in remote non public locations.
Me too... hey wait a minute.

Paul
AeroVideoUS is online now Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS