Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 08, 2011, 04:26 PM
England
Joined Feb 2011
51 Posts
Question
RC/Quad Newbie Parts List

Hi all!

I'm a complete n00b to the RC scene and would like a baptism of fire! I've decided to build an RC quad based on the MultiWii system. I know there are a million threads like this but I want a complete, idiots guid style list to the parts I need. Down to the nuts and bolts!

I'm a fairly intelligent guy and I'm learning so much from these forums, but I could do with a little help speccing up the parts I need for a cheap first quad. Here is what I have so far:

The Quad Body:
Motors x 4
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5354

ESC x 4
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13429

Props x 4 (2 x standard, 2 x pusher)
No idea

Lipo battery
Not sure what's best

Transmitter & Receiver
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9042

Frame
Custom made to a design I'm planning. Using 3/4 inch Aluminium Square Tube

The Brain (MultiWii):
Arduini Mini Pro
http://proto-pic.co.uk/products/Ardu...7%7D16MHz.html

FTDI USB Board
http://proto-pic.co.uk/products/FTDI...%28New%29.html

Shield/Board
http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...ter-board-v1-2
Or
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1347925

Wii Motion+
Got original

Nunchuck
Got original

What do you guys think? Please let me know if something isn't suitable or there's a better option!
I'm in the UK so if you know any UK suppliers that are cheap please let me know.
EyeFellOver is offline Find More Posts by EyeFellOver
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2011, 04:41 PM
Suffolk County NY , USA
Joined Mar 2009
521 Posts
zip ties ..

velcro

paint or leds to help with orientation ..

solder ..

with those motors you will want a 3s battery .. 2200 mha at least .. ( I just bought one of these .. not real sure if the 'nano tech' is just hype or not )

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11951

have you given any thought as to how you will mount the motors to the towel bars ??

landing gear ??

Power distribution system ?? you going to just solder all the escs together , or build something with plugs so you can replace one when you burn it ?? At the very least you will need a plug that matches whatever battery you select.
Kevo500 is offline Find More Posts by Kevo500
Old Feb 09, 2011, 02:19 AM
England
Joined Feb 2011
51 Posts
Thanks Kevo.

I think I've got the additional bits with the exception of the paint or LEDs. I was thinking of the LED strip from hobbyking that most people seem to be using!

Strangely, that was the exact same battery I was looking at while making this list! The reviews of the battery seem mostly positive but that can be said for pretty much all of them. It's a good price though and seems small and light which is a bonus.

For the motors, I'm making a bolt through mount consisting of a circular plate of metal with 3 holes (or 4 depending on the motor I get) to bolt the motor to, this then has a internally threaded shaft that runs down from the centre and will go through the aluminium arms and be secured underneath with a washer and screw.

I'm considering using some rubber either around the shaft or between the motor and mounting plate to reduce vibrations, what do you think?

Landing gear is a tricky one, I don't want it to be too heavy but also want it to be strong incase of a heavy landing (which is probably a given for a n00b!). I was thinking of an aluminium strip about 5mm wide and about 15-20 cm longer than the arm that is attached where the motor mounts and where the arm mounts to the central frame. This should give me a strong loop to almost bounce on when landing!

What would you suggest for power distribution? I was consodering block connectors for easy change but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help mate.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 03:51 AM
Joined Oct 2006
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFellOver View Post
Thanks Kevo.

I think I've got the additional bits with the exception of the paint or LEDs. I was thinking of the LED strip from hobbyking that most people seem to be using!

Strangely, that was the exact same battery I was looking at while making this list! The reviews of the battery seem mostly positive but that can be said for pretty much all of them. It's a good price though and seems small and light which is a bonus.

For the motors, I'm making a bolt through mount consisting of a circular plate of metal with 3 holes (or 4 depending on the motor I get) to bolt the motor to, this then has a internally threaded shaft that runs down from the centre and will go through the aluminium arms and be secured underneath with a washer and screw.

I'm considering using some rubber either around the shaft or between the motor and mounting plate to reduce vibrations, what do you think?

Landing gear is a tricky one, I don't want it to be too heavy but also want it to be strong incase of a heavy landing (which is probably a given for a n00b!). I was thinking of an aluminium strip about 5mm wide and about 15-20 cm longer than the arm that is attached where the motor mounts and where the arm mounts to the central frame. This should give me a strong loop to almost bounce on when landing!

What would you suggest for power distribution? I was consodering block connectors for easy change but I'm not sure.

If I understand the motor assembly correctly, then what stops it from spinning around the mounting shaft? It's probably worth sticking a pin through both next to it, or use two shafts.

A easy alternative for landing gear would be helicopter landing gear (Trex 450, 500?) and then put training gear on it while you're learning.
websitedragon is offline Find More Posts by websitedragon
Old Feb 09, 2011, 04:21 AM
England
Joined Feb 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by websitedragon View Post
If I understand the motor assembly correctly, then what stops it from spinning around the mounting shaft? It's probably worth sticking a pin through both next to it, or use two shafts.

A easy alternative for landing gear would be helicopter landing gear (Trex 450, 500?) and then put training gear on it while you're learning.
Ah, good thinking! What about using threaded aluminium bar with a square nut screwed up to the top and a square hole cut into the top of the arm? Then a round hole in the bottom for the shaft to protrude and be held on with a nut?

This all makes sense in my head buy when I read it back I sound demented!!
Old Feb 09, 2011, 05:06 AM
Joined Oct 2006
439 Posts
Quote:
Ah, good thinking! What about using threaded aluminium bar with a square nut screwed up to the top and a square hole cut into the top of the arm? Then a round hole in the bottom for the shaft to protrude and be held on with a nut?

This all makes sense in my head buy when I read it back I sound demented!!
The idea of using a square slot is a great solution, however you're relying on friction alone to stop the nut from spinning . In reality I'd be surprised if it's not fine assuming you glued the square nut in place though. You could even drill through the nut and bolt and put a pin through both to stop it spinning on the thread. However, if you're going to do that it's probably easier to just put a pin from the motor assembly in to the arm next to the main fixing, and lighter. Or use a nylon bolt through both next to the main fixing, with the sole purpose of stopping it spinning.

I guess it depends what resources you've got at your disposal.
websitedragon is offline Find More Posts by websitedragon
Old Feb 09, 2011, 05:19 AM
England
Joined Feb 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by websitedragon View Post
The idea of using a square slot is a great solution, however you're relying on friction alone to stop the nut from spinning . In reality I'd be surprised if it's not fine assuming you glued the square nut in place though. You could even drill through the nut and bolt and put a pin through both to stop it spinning on the thread. However, if you're going to do that it's probably easier to just put a pin from the motor assembly in to the arm next to the main fixing, and lighter. Or use a nylon bolt through both next to the main fixing, with the sole purpose of stopping it spinning.

I guess it depends what resources you've got at your disposal.
Good point, I can probably spot weld the nut on.

Fortunately I work in a school with a very helpful Design Technology department
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:56 AM
England
Joined Feb 2011
51 Posts
Here's a quick mockup of the motor mounts I'm planning on building. These might not happen straight away but they're definately part of the plan!

Obviously they will have a screw thread and will be welded solid
Old Feb 09, 2011, 08:41 AM
Suffolk County NY , USA
Joined Mar 2009
521 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Kevo.

Well you asked for "even the nuts and bolts" :-D ..

I have also read some good things about the "nano-tech" bateries , but I have no personal experience with them. I have one on the way , so that will change soon. If it works as well as the hype , likely ill get another couple of them , and perhaps a 5ah 3s also. ( 45 c and 5ah .. 225 amps constant .. not even PEAK but continuous .. Then I can build a quad and fly the wife's chihuahua around the yard :-D but I digress )

For the alum arms .. I ended up just drilling three holes in the arm two all the way through and one for the shaft ( the motors I used on my towel bar rig have a shaft out the non bell side ) and some main rotor bolts from a 450 heli with some alum washers ( the blades I buy usually come with an extra pair of them .. and I have bought a good number of blades :-D ) if you are good with the forceps , you may even be able to get away with only drilling one side , and inserting shorter bolts through only the top half of the arms. Similar to your mount idea , but getting rid of the mount and bolting directly to the arms ..

There is also this item that I have been looking at to use as a motor mount
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10077

there are 4 in my cart waiting for my next order , perhaps in march.

Landing gear , I used a set of landing gear from a 450 heli to start , and ended up with a set from a 500. It works well.

for power , I first was thinking of using deans ultra plugs and a 1-4 wire concoction.But of course I did not plan this , and when my LHS wanted 6 bucks per plug for the deans , I just couldn't bear to pay that much ( yea .. I am sometimes VERY cheap ) so I ended up using a piece of scrap pc board and soldering each esc to it. pos on one side / neg on the other , etched 5 mm trace around the edge .. and coated in 'liquid tape' for insulating. Figured its not something that I would be changing every day , and if I do ever have to change it , it only takes a minute to heat up the soldering iron.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 09:08 AM
England
Joined Feb 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo500 View Post
Well you asked for "even the nuts and bolts" :-D ..

I have also read some good things about the "nano-tech" bateries , but I have no personal experience with them. I have one on the way , so that will change soon. If it works as well as the hype , likely ill get another couple of them , and perhaps a 5ah 3s also. ( 45 c and 5ah .. 225 amps constant .. not even PEAK but continuous .. Then I can build a quad and fly the wife's chihuahua around the yard :-D but I digress )

For the alum arms .. I ended up just drilling three holes in the arm two all the way through and one for the shaft ( the motors I used on my towel bar rig have a shaft out the non bell side ) and some main rotor bolts from a 450 heli with some alum washers ( the blades I buy usually come with an extra pair of them .. and I have bought a good number of blades :-D ) if you are good with the forceps , you may even be able to get away with only drilling one side , and inserting shorter bolts through only the top half of the arms. Similar to your mount idea , but getting rid of the mount and bolting directly to the arms ..

There is also this item that I have been looking at to use as a motor mount
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10077

there are 4 in my cart waiting for my next order , perhaps in march.

Landing gear , I used a set of landing gear from a 450 heli to start , and ended up with a set from a 500. It works well.

for power , I first was thinking of using deans ultra plugs and a 1-4 wire concoction.But of course I did not plan this , and when my LHS wanted 6 bucks per plug for the deans , I just couldn't bear to pay that much ( yea .. I am sometimes VERY cheap ) so I ended up using a piece of scrap pc board and soldering each esc to it. pos on one side / neg on the other , etched 5 mm trace around the edge .. and coated in 'liquid tape' for insulating. Figured its not something that I would be changing every day , and if I do ever have to change it , it only takes a minute to heat up the soldering iron.
That's a good point actually. For some reason I'd got it into my head that the motors had 3 holes rather than 4! That's saved me some time

I think I'll give that battery a go, looks pretty good.

What props should I use? I've looked ay hobbyking but can't seem to made hear nor tales of them!
Old Feb 09, 2011, 10:06 AM
Suffolk County NY , USA
Joined Mar 2009
521 Posts
exact props will depend on the motor you end up using. ( prop / motor / speed controller and even battery to some degree all need to be considered as one system .. BTW a 30a speed controller is mucho overkill for those motors .. )

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-products-ca...ROPELLERS.html

has a nice selection.

For the motor you have in the list above , likely you will want teh 10X4.5 ( or perhaps the 8 ) Also dont forget that you will need 2 of each type .. cw and ccw ( pusher / counter rotating .. the dragnflyer/rctoys site usually sells them in pairs , 1 cw and 1 ccw but read the descriptions to make sure. ) ) You want the "slow fly" props , as these are designed for static thrust. If it was me , I would probably get a set ( or two ) of each 10 and 8 and see which works best for your final quad. but it will 'fly' with either

The 8's will have quicker reaction times ( spin up quicker ) and the 10's will have more raw thrust but may not react as quick as the 8's.

I am NOT a prop guru , so dont treat this as gospel. Just as what worked for some random guy on the internet.