HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2011, 03:30 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2 Posts
Question
bending 3/16 wire for landing gear

Am scratch building .60 size plane and need to bend 3/16 wire landing gear. Can anyone suggest a bender for this size wire or give me some tips on bending it?
wwarr is offline Find More Posts by wwarr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2011, 04:55 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined May 2006
507 Posts
a good heavy bench vice and a large hammer?
If you could find a fab shop around you they would have a brake press that could do it for you. I don't know of any commercial benders that handle that large of wire sorry.
Merlin1205 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1205
Old Feb 08, 2011, 05:42 PM
Washburn,ME
Joined Jul 2008
59 Posts
K&S Engineering makes a heavy duty wire bender that will bend up to 1/4 inch music wire. Tower used to sell them but doesn't anymore. Look on GOOGLE for K&S Engineering and pick a site. Sorry I can't help more .
Frank
smithfj is offline Find More Posts by smithfj
Old Feb 08, 2011, 06:00 PM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
209 Posts
Hi wwarr
I assume you will use music wire. I use my 4" bench vise to do that bending. If you close the vice jaws over that wire and then push/pull to bend it, the 90 degree corner of the vice jaw may fracture the wire; it can break like glass. Let's say you want a 90 degree bend. The inside bend radius must be no smaller than the material thickness, which in your case is 3/16", or the material may tear. The secret is to grind a groove in the top corner of the vice jaw that the wire can fit into as it is bent. The bottom of that groove must be rounded so it imparts an INSIDE bend radius to the wire, equal to the wire diameter, 3/16". Always use heavy leather gloves when bending the wire, in case it breaks, and safety glasses.
villapilote is offline Find More Posts by villapilote
Last edited by villapilote; Feb 08, 2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:08 PM
Tampa, FL.
Joined Jul 2010
160 Posts
Take a look at www.mcmaster.com They have a few different wire benders
Johnnysplits is offline Find More Posts by Johnnysplits
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:44 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfj View Post
K&S Engineering makes a heavy duty wire bender that will bend up to 1/4 inch music wire. Tower used to sell them but doesn't anymore. Look on GOOGLE for K&S Engineering and pick a site.
Best advice. I have the large bender and it serves just fine. VERY solid tool. I practiced bending many feet of 3/16 and 1/4" wire with it. I'd advise practicing with whatever method and tool you get.

I would NOT beat on anything with a hammer that I expected to hold up...

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Feb 09, 2011, 05:31 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Tower still sells it; I just bought one; works great: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...nder&search=Go
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:46 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2 Posts
Thanks for all your replies. I'm ordering the K & S bender today.
wwarr is offline Find More Posts by wwarr
Old Feb 09, 2011, 10:19 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
It is a very sturdy and durable, but simple tool. Good to get it before they actually do stop selling it which is probably only a matter of time what with all the ARFS. The only trick is to figure out exactly where the bend will be so both legs of the gear are them same. It took me a couple of trys. Practice first to figure out how to figure out the exact location of the bend. This is always the challenge when bending anything.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Feb 09, 2011, 12:01 PM
Washburn,ME
Joined Jul 2008
59 Posts
Guess I didn't look hard enough at the Tower site. Sorry 'bout that. It is a great bender- but you need a rugged vise.
Frank
smithfj is offline Find More Posts by smithfj
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:08 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
209 Posts
Hi wwarr
You asked how to bend 3/16 music wire for a landing gear, and I posted how I did it for my 7.5 pound plane. I used the music wire gear for about one year and then looked for something better. The wire gear kept bending out of shape. I make about 6 landings per flight so my gear takes quite a beating. I replaced it with a Dubro fiberglas gear and now consider that gear the best I have seen in my 39 years in R/C. You can see the gear I use at Tower Hobbies, their # LXNM65. I have it on two of my planes. In one extremely hard landing the gear flattened out so far that I believe the bottom of the fuselage may have hit the ground. There was no damage to the gear. My plane, a Coroplast J3-Cub weighing 8 pounds, now leans a little, like a wounded soldier.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:58 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,027 Posts
VILLAPILOTE, I put that DuBro gear on my DeNight 50 Special to replace the aluminum gear that kept bending since the DeNight sinks fast and lands like a ton of it. LOVE the DuBro gear
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Feb 11, 2011, 04:24 PM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
209 Posts
Hi Fokker DII
Thanks for your comments. That Dubro gear is amazing. I think I payed something like $13.00 for it about 4 years ago. I have it on an OS 46 size Coroplast Pusher Canard and on my Coroplast OS 46 size (71" WS) J3-Cub. I don't think it has changed 1/4" in the 5 years or so I have been using it. Requires zero maintenance.