HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2011, 12:47 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
Build Log
Thunder Tiger Beaver with Floats - Build Log

I recently purchased a Thunder Tiger Beaver ARF with an optional float set from Tower Hobbies. This plane was an item that I have been looking at ever since I saw an article in Model Airplane News. Before buying the ARF, I tried to do some research online to see if there was any information about this plane, but found that there was very little info to be found. So, I have decided to log my assembly of this ARF, and the optional floats with the hopes that it may help someone out out in the future. Here is a description of the plane taken from the Thunder Tiger America Website, and a links to the information:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXASPJ&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVPF&P=7
http://www.ttamerica.com/airplanes/ttra4593.html
Features
• Factory-painted, ABS molded plastic fuselage with superior scale details.
• Factory-painted, molded one-piece wings with a center sleeve and foam inserts.
• Factory-painted plastic cowl.
• Semi-symmetrical airfoil for aerobatic potential.
• Pre-hinged aileron with single-servo control.
• One-piece composite engine mount.
• Formed molded composite landing gear.
• Two 2.5 in. (62 mm) dia. main wheels.
• One 1.5 in. (38 mm) dia. tail wheel.
• 7.4 oz. (220 cc) fuel tank.
• Optional floats (sold separately) available for seaplane conversion.
• Comprehensive hardware package.
• Limited manufacturer warranty.

Requirements
• 4-channel radio with 4 servos
• .46 cu. in. engine with muffler
• Propeller
• Building and field equipment

Specifications
• Stock Number: TTRA4593
• Product Number: 4593-K10
• Wingspan: 61.2 in (1,570 mm)
• Wing Area: 605 in² (39 dm²)
• Weight: 6-6.3 lb (2,800-2,858 g)
• Length: 42.9 in (1,090 mm)

And here is a link to the Model Ariplane News Article online:
http://backyardflyer.com/ME2/dirmod....25A96B20AA43E2
thacherd is offline Find More Posts by thacherd
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2011, 01:00 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
The ARF set that I received looked to be in excellent shape. I was interested in this "ABS" or "plastic" plane for one reason. ABS Plastic is extremely waterproof. Since I plan on using this plane primarily for float flying at the lake, I figured that I would give it a try. Upon opening the box, I found myself extremely pleased with the condition of the kit. The first thing that hit me was that I wasn't going to have to do any of the "touch-up" work on any covering. This is a prepainted ABS ARF that looks great. I just hope it flies as well, and holds up as well as other ARFs that I have purchased. All in all the Beaver looks great out of the box, and I saw no problems with the packaging, etc. Pictures below:
Last edited by thacherd; Feb 08, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 01:04 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
Here is a link to the assembly manuals in Adobe PDF format... Just in case you want a reference point during the assembly:

TT Beaver Assembly Manual
http://mms.tiger.tw/upload/upload_fi...nJE6979.V3.pdf

TT Beaver Floats Assembly Manual
http://mms.tiger.tw/upload/2009-5/20095257876.pdf
Last edited by thacherd; Feb 08, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:51 PM
Garry
Tumble weed country Eastern Washington
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
I have seen the Cessna fly that is made the same way and if it is any thing like that, you will have a great flying plane. The Cessna I saw fly was also 46 size but was way over powered with a Saito 91 and it was on floats, but it sure flew good I think he was using 12-7 three blade prop on it. So keep us posted on your progress and maiden. Are you going to fly it on wheels first to get it all trimed out?
crash-rc is offline Find More Posts by crash-rc
Old Feb 08, 2011, 11:36 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash-rc View Post
I have seen the Cessna fly that is made the same way and if it is any thing like that, you will have a great flying plane. The Cessna I saw fly was also 46 size but was way over powered with a Saito 91 and it was on floats, but it sure flew good I think he was using 12-7 three blade prop on it. So keep us posted on your progress and maiden. Are you going to fly it on wheels first to get it all trimed out?
I haven't decided on wheels first or not. I have been dormant to this hobby, at least the flying aspect of it for a few years now. Lets just say that we purchased a boat, and that has taken up quite a bit of my weekends and evenings (which is great time with the family). But recently my youngest son, who is 10, has really taken a liking to planes, and I just can't stay away any longer. Not to mention, I never stopped building and assembling models, just haven't flown them... So I have many of them waiting to fly! I will probably fly from land first to get a feel for the plane, but then install the floats... But, I may do the pre-intallation of them in advance and put the wheels back on after the fact... Don't know yet. All I know is that there is about 3 feet of snow outside right now, and our low last night was 22 below zero, so I'm going to assemble and take pictures. Flying will come in the spring.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:32 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
989 Posts
I've built all of the Model Fly planes and they are all good ( I don't care for the RF4 as it has a habit of snapping when to slow ) even with that it flew great , you just had to be on your toes all the time when slow.

The Cessna was a 60 size plane and the 91 was just right, I flew it for years , all over the states. A lot of people called the "READY " a Cessna but it isn't, and some way over powered it. The "READY " is also a super plane and calls for a 46 size engine .

I do suggest that you install all the equipment for the floats while building, it would be a LOT harder to install it all later. You just store the water rudder cable inside the fuse if you install the wheels. Mine is ready to go either way in about 45 min.

In your build I suggest that anytime you glue something that you "SCORE " the plastic before glueing . Also if painting, a real good soap cleaning, a buff sanding then another cleaning before painting . I've used auto paint on most of mine but the Hobby paints work well, also " FUSSION " paint works .

I check this site now and then so if I can help just leave a question and I'll get back. As I said ( not to brag ) I have a lot of experience with these planes. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:08 PM
Seaplane Nerd
Joined Jan 2005
842 Posts
Falcon Trading sold these plane in the US for years. They were /are widely respected as damage resistant/good flyers. They went to Hobby People a few years ago but that did not seem successful. Thunder Tiger seems to be doing a better job. ARC Modelfly in Italy produces them. You can order direct if you want to pay the freight, foreign transaction fees, and basically a lot more.....http://www.arcmodelfly.it/vmchk

In days of yore, people would mention "Gallegianti" floats. "Gallegianti" is Italian for "floats"
JimCasey is offline Find More Posts by JimCasey
Last edited by JimCasey; Feb 11, 2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:21 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
I didn't realize that these models had been changing hands over the last couple of years... That's interesting. I was just happy to see it at Tower Hobbies, and picked one up. I haven't been able to do any work on the ARF this week. With Valentines day coming up, I had to help my youngest son make a box to take to school. Of course, as a true hobbiest would, I took it over the top. He wanted to make a paper mache Pterosaur... But I suggested we make it out of metal. (lets me get the welder out) Anyway, it took up some time, and I haven't touched the arf yet. Hopefully, this weekend. But first, I have to take my oldest to his hockey games this weekend.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:05 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
What are you planning on powering yours with ?
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:14 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
989 Posts
Kevin : I know you didn't ask me but all my Modelfly / ARC planes (except the Cessna ) were powered by OS 46's and they all did real well. My Cessna was powered by an OS 91 and it was Super.
All my planes had floats except the "JUPITER " and I thought about putting it on floats but never did. ENJOY !!! RED
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:33 AM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
An OS .46 AX...
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:08 AM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
Okay... So I plan on working on the model tonight, and wouldn't you know it.... I don't have the right size drill bits So, off to the ole' Wal-mart I go... and the only bits they have in the right size are in a complete kit made of titanium, or kevlar, or kryptonite or something and cost a fortune! Long story short, no progress tonight. I will have to pick up the right bits at the hardware store tomorrow. Maybe this weekend!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:46 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,186 Posts
I have been known to use a length a piano-wire or even coat-hanger as a drill bit. Cut the wire with side-cutters and it usually leaves a very sharp flat edge. It's more of a "borer" than a "drill"... but it gets the job done.
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:17 PM
Seaplane Nerd
Joined Jan 2005
842 Posts
I don't want to be a buzz-killer but is it not a sad commentary to our hobby that there is a build log for an ARF?
JimCasey is offline Find More Posts by JimCasey
Last edited by JimCasey; Feb 26, 2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:59 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
989 Posts
Ouch !!!