HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:39 AM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Dec 2008
246 Posts
Got my T-45 almost completed...all I got left is to finish the canopy -I shaped a block of florist foam and glassed it, might be a little heavy but I have the thrust to pull it ! It is curing as I write... looks like maiden might be sometime tomorrow. I just also received 2 nanoservos and redeiver from HK that I will use for my second Hawk as this one is a test bed for my building technique and component trials !
NeilRivera is offline Find More Posts by NeilRivera
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:04 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,184 Posts
Looking forward to it Neil!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
My Hawk is actually ready to fly but the paint that I chose for a topcoat keeps flaking......This has caused me to put the plane aside to calm down and get another plan in place to finish the plane...I find that when frustrated it's best to just cast aside the plane until you are in the right frame of mind to work on it...Currently, I'm enamoured with AS3X prop planes and my micro Mossy...I can't help myself from bouncing around from one facet of our hobby to another...My larger planes have taken a back seat to micros---I WONDER at times WHY I have an SUV that can haul around a 1/3rd scale plane as well as several small planes at the same time but I'm primarily flying micros!!!......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Dec 2008
246 Posts
Maidened today... Well sort of... Flight lasted 20 seconds, my aileron was way too sensitive, nearly uncontrollable. First flight was with a 2 cell and while it had enough power to stay airborne it is unsufficient for me. So after nosing it in I was able to repair the minor damage it received. I installed the 3 cell lipo and off I went- it immediately flipped inverted and that was the end of flight number two. I might have too much elevon travel, my CG might have been too far aft or my buddy launched it incorrectly. Well the damage received was too much to repair at the field so it is now at my workshop awaiting a new front fuselage fabrication and install. So I will repair it and try again untill I get it to
fly successfully and then I will build my second airframe with a few mods and maybe round the turtledeck and intakes. The second I pulled the Hawk out of my car at the flying field it was a show stopper ! Everyone came over and all airplanes in the air were landed so that I
could maiden it ! There was a lot of interest in it ! I shall be back
in the air by this Tuesday.... Hey Nitro how much travel do
you have in your elevons ?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:25 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilRivera View Post
- it immediately flipped inverted and that was the end of flight number two.
Not to insult you, but are the ailerons perhaps reversed? (yes, I've done that on a maiden)

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Dec 2008
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Not to insult you, but are the ailerons perhaps reversed? (yes, I've done that on a maiden)

Gene K
No they are not, I did fly it for about 20 seconds, the problem was that they were extremly sensitive !
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:13 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,184 Posts
Neil, same thing happened to me on my first maiden. Throws were too high and I span 3 times when I hit left aileron to straighten it before I could catch it. From thee it was a psycho ride until I hit the deck, glad that I pancaked on the belly but still took out the front fuse.

My throws , measured from the back of the elevon:
AIL - 3mm travel each way from center
ELE - 3mm travel each way from center

My DX7 txer settings to achieve this are:
Expo +60% for each
D/R 50% for each

As you see, I have very small throws for at least half the stick travel.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,392 Posts
Hi friends,

As all of you must have saw, I disappeared for the last couple of days As a friend told here some topics before:

I find that when frustrated it's best to just cast aside the plane until you are in the right frame of mind to work on it.

I did that also, once I could not fly my Bae Hawk. During this time I could glue the wing back in place, due to the last frustrated mainden that cause the wing amputation of my bird.

I have at least a brand new notice: I sold my Spektrum and bought a new radio: Hitec Aurora 9! Now I am waiting for the micro receiver arrives from Hobbyking (2.4Ghz A-FHSS Compatible 5CH Micro Receiver (Hitec Minima compatible)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html once the Hitec minima 6 is heavy for my bird.

I know also that my setup is weak, once the prop is not balanced well, making it vibrate so much and make so much noise, also worst on 3S.

Is there a way to see how much is the power of my setup once it is installed in the plane? I mean, see how much grams it has of power (puch)

Tks!
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:04 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,184 Posts
Installed thrust can be measured by setting up a cardboard mount to hold the jet pointing down on a scale.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,392 Posts
You mean, I put the scale balance on the floor, the jet on the scale, nose down, and press tare, and then full throttle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Installed thrust can be measured by setting up a cardboard mount to hold the jet pointing down on a scale.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:10 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,184 Posts
Exactly.... Did you think it would be more complicated or something?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,392 Posts
Yes... I did...

When my micro receiver arrives Ill do that and post the results with 2 and 3s.

Are you still flying your Bae hawk Dave?

Thank you again Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Exactly.... Did you think it would be more complicated or something?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:39 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,804 Posts
Found a photo of the T-45 in USN markings. It's too large to upload and too pretty to downsize.

http://fly.historicwings.com/wp-cont...-3951P-001.jpg
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:56 PM
Joined Dec 2008
246 Posts
Ok guys after some time away from micros I am back and will be rebuilding my Hawk on 3 s... Just have to order some servo connectors from HobbyKing as I will be using some of their micro digit servos for the elevons and a 4 channel orange receiver. I will be making some minor mods to the fuse like widening the intakes to have better airflow for my fan setup and other small things... I made plenty of notes on the plans as I built the first one that died on maiden attempt number 2... That one was just gutted of the fan/motor and esc ....anyone else flown theirs ?
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:35 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,392 Posts
I built mine, tried to maiden it tree times, but no success yet. I will try again, its rtf here...