HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:42 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Here's a pic of the micro stab hardware for .032 rod stock...

The instructions say that you can fix the threaded coupler to the .032 rod using solder, CA, or epoxy...Since the rods are made to length on the plane, soldering is out of the question next to the foam...Using CA is almost laughable...I'm going to roughen up the control rod wires and use JB Weld to secure the brass couplers to the .032 rods...I prefer to solder the couplers in, but again, being next to the foam the heat could be dangerous to the plane...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio View Post
Friends,

Itīs READY!

After years of waiting and following the thread and disturbing Dave...
Yes, it has some adjustments to go: like programming the break of the esc, see the angles of the tailerons, if they are correct, see the weight.. but... itīs ready! It has 86gr, complete, heavy?
WOW---Luis...ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!...You are the first to get into the Team 30 club......CONGRATULATIONS!!!...I'm getting mine done as fast as possible, trying to catch up to be #2...Let us know how the maiden goes!!!

Again, great job!!!......

Kevin
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Got some more done this evening...

Although this is a flat slab Depron model I just couldn't see justice in keeping the turtledeck square...The top of the model/turtledeck is the first thing that you see when the model is on display...I just HAD to round off the turtledeck!!!...

I took some 6mm Depron and cut out a 6mm x 6mm square strip...I then glued this strip to the inside to each of the turtledeck sides...Next, the 6mm x 6mm strips were trimmed to triangular pieces..The top of the turtledeck was glued in place...I then sanded the turtledeck to a round shape...The triangular strips allow you to round off the sides without adding hardly any excess weight due to sanding most of the material off...

Here are some pics---The slight yellow hue is due to the sandpaper used...At the back of the plane where the turtledeck stops I left this area open...By leaving this slight slit the plane will gain a little more cooling to the ESC/batts due to air being able to flow through the fuselage...I also have a slight opening into the fan where the inner intake sides meet at the fan...This is just like the Habu 32 where the ESC gains cooling by installing it between the intakes, taking advantage of the airflow that the fan is drawing...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Jul 22, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:32 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Friends,

Itīs READY!

After years of waiting and following the thread and disturbing Dave...
Yes, it has some adjustments to go: like programming the break of the esc, see the angles of the tailerons, if they are correct, see the weight.. but... itīs ready! It has 86gr, complete, heavy?
Very, very nice Luis! You should be proud, and I am sure Dave will be too! Heck we all are! Since Dave designed the plans, only he should answer the questions on the 86g weight. I will ask, is that with the battery included? Very striking and I love all the tiny details.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:37 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Kevin, Still watching the progress. Still thinking this should be interesting. A higher powered version of this micro jet shoud be just up your alley with the past turbine experiance! Looking good, and so worth taking your time. I do like many of the mods along the way. You my friend are a true scratch builder and it is showing.

Fred
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Kevin, Still watching the progress. Still thinking this should be interesting. A higher powered version of this micro jet shoud be just up your alley with the past turbine experiance! Looking good, and so worth taking your time. I do like many of the mods along the way. You my friend are a true scratch builder and it is showing.

Fred
This coming from you Fred is a REAL compliment!!!...Years ago when I was 13 years old I started to design my own profile control line models and I have built a few planes from "scratch" but using others plans...When I was 14 years old I designed a twin .049 P-38 that took second place in a speed contest to a combat plane...After the contest the combat plane pilot said that if I had used 5x4 two blade props instead of the 5x3 three blade props I used (I went for scale) I probably would have beat him!!!......Live and learn!!!

Since I can't get Pdawg to sell me an Electrolyte I'm going to design my own sport model for a 35mm fan...I have the Sky Angel fan in mind...I'm going to do the plane from primarily 2mm Depron as Nitro has done with the T-45..I've learned so much from your F-84 thread and from this T-45 thread!!!...The basic design will be like a Habu 32 or BVM Aggressor...Pdawgs plane looks like a BVM Viper/Electra with its swept wings...My plane will have more of an F-20/F-5 look with a single cockpit...And---I AM going to draw up some "plans" for the basic outline---Fred, you still kill me with your lack of plans!!!!......

Kevin
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:01 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
woohoo Luis!!!

It most certainly has been so long. I hope it rewards you well.

Kevin, nice curved turtle deck! That's my next Hawks plan - curve it up all over the place.

My Hawks flying weight is 93.9g() with a 325 3S G6 TP pack. The Hawk itself weighs 59.5g.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Kevin, nice curved turtle deck! That's my next Hawks plan - curve it up all over the place.
THANKS Nitro!!!...Can't wait to get the plans for Hawk version V!!!

Take a look at this photo---I found out something playing around with a heat gun...I have been shaping my plane using a straight sanding "T" bar with 80 grit paper and then sanding the model with 220 grit paper by hand...Even after sanding with 220 I'm finding sanding fuzz on the model...I've found that if I set a heat gun to a lower setting and make fast passes over the plane the fuzz disappears and a sheen forms like stock Depron that hasn't been sanded...And the outer skin becomes harder/stronger like virgin Depron...I like this as this seems to seal the "pores" of the Depron, making painting smoother with less labor/sanding between coats...Ya gotta be careful with the heat gun and keep it moving on LOW heat...One stop and POOF---You could blow a hole in your project or warp a surface!!!......

Kevin
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:13 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
Sweet! You can see the effect clearly!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Sweet! You can see the effect clearly!
THANKS!!!...Look at this photo before applying heat...And the latest photo after heat...Amazing!!!...Note the fuzz on the horizontal stabs in photo #1....

Kevin
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:43 AM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
It's after 1 AM and I'm still at it even though I have to get up shortly for work......

Got the nose cone mounted...I used florist foam for the nose cone...It's easy to shape and VERY light!!!...The only major roadblock to using this stuff is that it has large open pores---Which easily can be filled.....I applied some ultra light weight carbon veil and applied it on the nose using CA...I LIKE the look as well a strength..The veil helps to seal the pores of the foam and makes the nose almost as tough as nails!!!...

Time for bed----I'll finsh up this post tomorrow...

Kevin
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,416 Posts
Thank you so much for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
WOW---Luis...ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!...You are the first to get into the Team 30 club......CONGRATULATIONS!!!...I'm getting mine done as fast as possible, trying to catch up to be #2...Let us know how the maiden goes!!!

Again, great job!!!......

Kevin
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,416 Posts
Thank you Fred!

Yes, 86gr with all eletronics inside, ready to maiden. I think it is a few heavy, I was scared because I tried to do some tests inside home trowing it in my bed, but it didnīt work. Iīll have to launch it very hard

Iīll look for lighter batteries, It will make it fly better to me, that never flew a jet before, donīt you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Very, very nice Luis! You should be proud, and I am sure Dave will be too! Heck we all are! Since Dave designed the plans, only he should answer the questions on the 86g weight. I will ask, is that with the battery included? Very striking and I love all the tiny details.

Fred
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:51 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Fred!

Yes, 86gr with all eletronics inside, ready to maiden. I think it is a few heavy, I was scared because I tried to do some tests inside home trowing it in my bed, but it didnīt work. Iīll have to launch it very hard

Iīll look for lighter batteries, It will make it fly better to me, that never flew a jet before, donīt you agree?
Dave said his was 93.9g. So you are a bit lighter at 86g. Lighter is always better, but sometimes we have no choice! Don't be afraid of flying a jet, they fly good. The only issue is don't let it get too small (far away) or you will lose sight of it! Helps to keep turns and such "Jet Like", in other words smooth and gentle, large radius turns! You will be fine!

Fred
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,416 Posts
Kevin,

Very nice turtle deck! Why didnīt you told me before your idea? If I knew, I would make mine just like your deck . Now itīs late, mine is already glued in place. But thereīs no problem, letīs do the second Bae Hawk just like that! It is more scale with the curved detail, but I would use 2mm depron, I think it will be better to curve and the effect easier to do Did you put carbon fiber rods in the leading edge of the wings? Since it is a very small jet, we have to care about any extra weight, I think mine was a few heavy.