HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:22 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,416 Posts
I see.. to do that, I have to turn on the spektrum (when binding) with full throttle, isnīt it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Luis---I don't know about the throws but I do think that you need to disable the brake in the ESC...As a general rule, EDF's don't use the brake as that's a huge amount of RPM that is trying to be stopped quickly...

Kevin
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:30 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Kevin,

I got like 20 sheets of clear, and maybe 20 sheets of white, full size, 8 1/2"x11" decal paper, and I think it was $1.00 a sheet???? Problem is often the decal cracks when wetted, or the ink messed up when printing.....

Learned that with my brand, carful to wet just the backing paper and be patient (1 minute) before trying to slide off the finished decal worked better. Wetting the whole thing I think was the problem. I rarely use the real stuff now, so there is some going to be at my Estate Sale.

Luis,

My Spectrum binds with not full throttle. I turn on RX, the RX light starts blinking. I push button on rear of TX, and turn on the TX while holding that button. Then you release the button and wait then the RX light goes solid. Remove bind plug or you will lose the bind. I have the DX 7.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio View Post
I see.. to do that, I have to turn on the spektrum (when binding) with full throttle, isnīt it?
Not when binding---Just turn on your TX, go to full throttle and then turn on the RX...You will enter the programming mode for the ESC...

You need to know the settings on your ESC so that you can count the beeps to enter the programming mode and to go to the proper menu to set the brake..

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Kevin,

I got like 20 sheets of clear, and maybe 20 sheets of white, full size, 8 1/2"x11" decal paper, and I think it was $1.00 a sheet???? Problem is often the decal cracks when wetted, or the ink messed up when printing.....

Learned that with my brand, carful to wet just the backing paper and be patient (1 minute) before trying to slide off the finished decal worked better. Wetting the whole thing I think was the problem. I rarely use the real stuff now, so there is some going to be at my Estate Sale.

Luis,

My Spectrum binds with not full throttle. I turn on RX, the RX light starts blinking. I push button on rear of TX, and turn on the TX while holding that button. Then you release the button and wait then the RX light goes solid. Remove bind plug or you will lose the bind. I have the DX 7.

Fred
Thanks for the info Fred!!!...

I've been on the 'net studying several possibilties to get the decals done on the decal paper...I've come to the conclusion that IJP's don't work as well as Laser printers...The inks on the IJP printed decals can tend to run when exposed to water...My home brew solution is to lightly spray the freshly printed IJP decal with Krylon flat clear in mist coats, sealing the decal before exposing to water...This should seal the IJP ink...

I contacted FedEx/Kinkos today and they can print my decals on a laser printer for .59 cents/sheet...Printed via a Laser printer should negate the necessity to seal the decals when printed on decal paper...

Waduya think???...

For the record---Your printed decals on tissue paper are da BOMB!!!...I'm only trying to keep the labor hours down as I have two boys to tend to (11 & 6 years old) and I'm 50 years old......I grab time to build models when I can...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Jul 21, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:50 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Kevin,

The tissue decals ARE misted with Krylon (it says so but it is a big thread). All you see in the thread are decals done with IJ printers, with the ink, but enough Krylon and it is fine. Don't over do the application glue. I did some lazer, that is good, but the best is the Epson inks, they are pigmented and now my favorite. Maybe you need a new printer soon, hint, hint?

You can actually get the tissue type done as fast as the decal paper type, because they need to be sealed too BTW.

Fred (family calling).

PS. 5 kids, 2 still here, with a 16 month old Grandbaby too, I'm 55!
Last edited by Freddie B; Jul 22, 2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Kevin,

The tissue decals ARE misted with Krylon (it says so but it is a big thread). All you see are IJ printers, with the ink, but enough rylon and it is fine. Don't over do the application glue. I did some lazer, that is good, but the best is the Epson inks, they are pigmented and now my favorite. Maybe you need a new printer soon, hint, hint?

You can actually get the tissue type done fast as the decal paper type, because they need to be sealed too BTW.

Fred (family calling).

PS. 5 kids, 2 still here, with a 16 month old Grandbaby too, I'm 55!
Ahhh---Boomerang kids..Ya throw them out and then they come right back!!!...(As grandkids, whatever).........

I just bought a new Kodak printer as they advertise that their inks are the lowest cost...Since it's a wifi printer I just hit print where ever I am in the house on the laptop and go retrieve the copies...I'm not going to invest in a higher cost Epson printer when I can get FedEx/Kinkos to print high quality copies for 59 cents......

I'll need to try your tissue decals as I am looking for alternatives on those cold winter nights when I have nothing to do...Right now I have with my boys golf practice, baseball, soccer, and flag football...I coach a few of these sports as well as being handicapped...(Ever seen a one legged 50 year old man kick a soccer ball 50 yards or a 45 yard field goal???.....Can you say George Blanda!!?!??!!!...One of my legs is toast due to a wreck)...I keep telling myself that I'm going to one day cut off the "dead leg" and enter the Para-Olympics with a carbon fiber limb---(I was a 10.5 100 yard sprinter in high school as well as jumping 21 + feet in the long jump...Went to the Junior Olympics as a 15 year old and took 3rd place in a mile relay)...

Anyway---Trying to keep up with young kids is tough!!!...As well as keeping up with all of the cool things that you come up with, Fred!!!....(I still can't get over no plans for the F-84!!!)...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Jul 21, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
I got a little more done on the T-45 this evening...Servos installed as well as the stabs...Going to make the turtledeck next and get the pushrods done...

Kevin
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:30 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Looking great Kevin. I am fearful that you won't get the midnight deadline done. It is not a race, so don't sweat the small stuff. Look who's talking though, I always put large demands on myself.

Did someone mention plans? What's that, LOL. All you need is some shop drawings, a calculator, a three view, and a Sharpie, right?

Ok got to go before I get myself in trouble over here! Keep up the good work!

Fred
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Looking great Kevin. I am fearful that you won't get the midnight deadline done. It is not a race, so don't sweat the small stuff. Look who's talking though, I always put large demands on myself.

Did someone mention plans? What's that, LOL. All you need is some shop drawings, a calculator, a three view, and a Sharpie, right?

Ok got to go before I get myself in trouble over here! Keep up the good work!

Fred
Nope---Didn't make the deadline---It was 11:23PM when I made my last post...I probably would have come a little closer but unexpected company showed up for a little while...

I'm more of a plans kinda guy---At least to get the proper outline/shape and to physically see how large/small the project is and adjust from there...Internals kinda just take shape as I go along with the build...

Gotta go, too!!!...The wife is wondering why I'm on the computer instead of getting ready for church.......

Kein
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:43 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
Luis, did you get instructions with your ESC on how to enter and set the programming features?

Kevin, looking good!

I've been grounded while working on home projects. The house is being neglected as is certain reno's I should have done years ago so there's a bit of a blitz going on here at the moment. First up is to complete building another room behind my hobby room. Poor muscles... they forgot what hard work is and have been letting me me know about it too! LOL
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Working some more this afternoon....I enlarged the intakes to compensate for my larger 30mm fan that will be run on 3S...I'm going to initially fly it without adding a cheater hole to see how it goes...Also, I manipulated (shaped) the intake runners within the fuselage to accomodate more air...Instead of just letting the intake runners take their own shape when bending the Depron I contoured the inner walls so that they followed the outer walls, eliminating any air pinch points...

Kevin
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Next, I added 2mm Depron strips within the horizontal stabs next to the stab pivots...I didn't feel comfortable mounting the control horns without filling in the hollow stabs where the control horns are mounted...You can see the strips faintly when held up to a light...

I REALLY like the control horns I selected...They are light and have a "keeper" for the long center barb...After installing the horns/keepers using glue you trim the barb to leave about 1/16" exposed..Using a soldering iron you melt the barb flush with the keeper creating a very solid feeling control horn...

Kevin
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Last shot for now shows the finished control horns...

Now, on to getting the control rods made up...

Kevin
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Getting the control rods made...

I'm using .032 wire and hardware for this wire...I found some nylon tubing for industrial IJP's that carries the ink to the print head..Fits EXACTLY to the .032 wire!!!...I also found some coffee stirring tubes that EXACTLY fit the OD of the nylon tube...What luck!!!...I now have the proper snakes to keep the control rods stiff...

Here is a pic of the setup...

Kevin
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:18 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,416 Posts
Friends,

Itīs READY!

After years of waiting and following the thread and disturbing Dave...
Yes, it has some adjustments to go: like programming the break of the esc, see the angles of the tailerons, if they are correct, see the weight.. but... itīs ready! It has 86gr, complete, heavy?
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio