SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
Kevin,

I hate to chime in late, but you just might redo your thrust tube. That pinching may affect the thrust line you think you may have. If possible, do a test run. Hold the plane by the nose lightly, hanging down, but securely. Slowly run up your EDF to WOT. If the tail end starts to pitch out on you, your thrust line is off. I'd redo the thrust tube then. The plane should try and go thru your hand if the thrust line is good. Just don't want you to get done and find your thrust line is off. Been there. You guys are doing NC some justice with your builds.

Ksqm
The thrust tube fills up the entire aft end of the fuselage...The pinch is 360* equally around as I made a stiffening box for the stab mount...So, the air isn't being directed in any offset direction...

As far as the FSA---I took Nitro's thrust tube template and enlarged it to 125% to fit the diameter of the 30mm fan...I did not alter the fan to outlet ratio...I just used Nitro's same thrust tube and made it larger...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:52 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,257 Posts
Kevin,

Don't mind me. TLAR!!! Just get that bird in the air. Good day, any time a scratch built micro takes flight!

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:53 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,428 Posts
Today night Ill fix the edf and the pipe on it. I was thinking about using clear packing tape (1cm) to hold the pipe on the edf, correct?

I dont where specifically to install the edf: right in front where the internal fuses meets each other, where the air comes to go inside the edf, or if I hav to put it more behind Is there any perfomance variation? I saw tha Dave said the it can not be installed as we could see in one picture he sent, I think it was in the instruction manual, i dont remember..
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
Kevin,

Don't mind me. TLAR!!! Just get that bird in the air. Good day, any time a scratch built micro takes flight!

Ksqm
I didn't take your post as criticism but as a kindly reminder that things could be slightly off and to check it.........Modelers need to help other modelers in case something gets overlooked---And I WELCOME the advice!!!......

I hope that the exhaust outlet isn't too small on my T-45...I can't enlarge it at all as the tail is absolutely STUFFED full!!!...If you look at Nitro's or Luis' plane you can see that there is a small amount of space around their exhaust outlet...Due to this space you could get the thrust tube slightly off, causing thrust line issues if you're not carefull...Since my exhaust outlet completely fills up the space within the plane the only way I'll have thrust line issues is if the tail of the plane is off...

This evening I'm going to set the stabs and then mount the servos/make up the control rods...If I have time I'll also carve the nose cone and canopy from foam...I like to work late into the evening on Friday nights when everyone is asleep, but I may not be able to do this as I may have to get up early to go to work.....

Kevin
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:13 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,207 Posts
Try to get the edf unit further back Luis. That huge lipo of yours is going to make it very nose heavy. I have a 12g edf unit in mine and I am about 1.5" back from the intake ends.

If you can get smaller lipos Luis - please do it. That 370 is a big lipo. Perhaps the newer 300mah NT ?

I have some of those new 260mah lipo's coming in from HK to try out.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,428 Posts
Ill do that Dave!

But I have another problem Dave, Im installing the edf, but when I was checking the throttle, when the stick reaches the middle and I try to push it more, the motor stops Strange because yesterday it was working perfectly! Waht must be going on? Any ideas?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:28 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,207 Posts
Your lipo needs recharging.....
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,428 Posts
Is it further back enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Try to get the edf unit further back Luis. That huge lipo of yours is going to make it very nose heavy. I have a 12g edf unit in mine and I am about 1.5" back from the intake ends.

If you can get smaller lipos Luis - please do it. That 370 is a big lipo. Perhaps the newer 300mah NT ?

I have some of those new 260mah lipo's coming in from HK to try out.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:47 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,207 Posts
Perfect!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,428 Posts
Yeah!

And the last new Dave is that I took out the impeller from the edf you sent me and put my Ammo on it...

... the result??

....I dont think Ill be able to keep it on air for more the 4 seconds The power and noise are just amazing!

Now Im going to sleep, now here in Brazil is 23:00h and Im so tired. But all the progress made me so happy!

Thank you again so much (and all friends) here in RCGroups. This forum and all knowledge and friends Ive made here, makes me a more happy person!

See you all tomorrow!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Good work Luis!!!

I had to knock off early last night due to having to go to work this morning when it was still practically zero-dark :30.......So, I didn't get much done...I really want to at least get the plane all together and ready for filler by midnight tonight..

I didn't plan ahead very well and don't have any decal paper...I'm shooting for a maiden sometime toward the end of next week...Been VERY hot here!!!...With the heat index factored in yesterday was 42/43C!!!......

Kevin
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:20 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,997 Posts
Kevin,

You don't need decal paper. In fact it is heavy stuff in comparrison to what I have been doing. Similar method to make the decals. I am not into promoting my threads much, but this one is a great thing to try. I have been doing it on micro and regular size builds. It is perfect for foam builds to BTW.

All you need is some domestic Tissue paper (gift wrap type), copy paper, tape, a printer, some clear spray (Krylon) and glue/WBPU or similar. Cost is pennies per sheet too BTW.

Click on this link to see how it is done: Inexpensive Decals for any Model Type.

Just couple photos to show size and effect fot micro models, and these weigh almost nothing too! Even better!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,428 Posts
Well friends,

I had some work to make the elevon - v tail works. To tell the truth, a couple of hours changing settings on the Spektrum DX6I to make it works .

But after some reading its done! Its all linked and almost ready to go!

A video tells more than a thousand of words , I just would like to know if the control surfaces and angles are ok, pelase:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZPV4...1&feature=plcp

Micro edf Bae Hawk (1 min 43 sec)
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Kevin,

You don't need decal paper. In fact it is heavy stuff in comparrison to what I have been doing. Similar method to make the decals. I am not into promoting my threads much, but this one is a great thing to try. I have been doing it on micro and regular size builds. It is perfect for foam builds to BTW.

All you need is some domestic Tissue paper (gift wrap type), copy paper, tape, a printer, some clear spray (Krylon) and glue/WBPU or similar. Cost is pennies per sheet too BTW.

Click on this link to see how it is done: Inexpensive Decals for any Model Type.

Just couple photos to show size and effect fot micro models, and these weigh almost nothing too! Even better!

Fred
THANKS Fred!!!...I'm sending the wife out for tissue paper later this evening...But I'm also going to order some decal paper on Ebay to play around with...I have a vast collection of decals that I can scan, edit to any size I want, then I can print to decal paper...

Hobby Lobby has Testors decal paper but the sheets are only 8 1/2" x 5"---And $11 for a pack of 5!!!.....Hobby Lobby also has some decal paper for laser printers in the arts/crafts section but is the same odd size but at least it's only $5/pack...The Ebay decal paper is only about $1/sheet or slightly less, shipped...And it's the standard size of a sheet of regular paper...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Jul 21, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Luis---I don't know about the throws but I do think that you need to disable the brake in the ESC...As a general rule, EDF's don't use the brake as that's a huge amount of RPM that is trying to be stopped quickly...

Kevin