HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:43 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Nice one Kevin. I've now got that setup in the Sabre to see how it goes. Just waiting for the wind to settle down here to test it out. The weekend is looking real good.
Let us know how it goes!!!...

Ut oh...I managed to piss the wife off!!!...At around 35 seconds into the vid you can hear a door slam...AMAZING that she can say she was sound asleep and manage to get out of bed, slam a door, all within less than 30 seconds of running this fan up?!?!???......(She must have hypersonic hearing!!!)...I also guess she has great reflexes...But I've never witnessed them first hand!!!......I'm shut down for the day until tomorrow...No more testing tonight......I guess that's OK--After all, it is 12:30Am......D***---Time flies when you're having FUN!!!.......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Jul 17, 2012 at 01:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
The wife has forgiven me and now on with the build!!!...

As previously stated, I'm going to make airfoiled horizontal stabs for my plane...Shown are the pieces cut from 1mm Depron...

Here is a pic of the hardware/items needed for the elevators...I have two different sets of micro control horns---One from Dubro and the other I think from Radical RC...I need to decide which to use...I'm leaning toward the black ones as they are lighter and have a "keeper" for the mounting barb...

I'm going to go with a piano rod setup (.055 piano wire) like Nitro used but with a twist...I was going to go with lighter carbon rods but this would have required me to beef up the mounting system being that the carbon rods would be a two piece affair instead of a one piece setup if piano wire is used---I figured that the weight would have eventually been equal and a wash...Not to mention that there's not a whole lotta room back there to get crazy beefing up the tail!!!...

The "twist" is that I'm going with are aluminum rod bushings instead of shrink tubing...Tubing used is 3/32 x .014 aluminum...The end bearings to keep the stabs in place are Dubro micro wheel retainers that will be sized to fit...

Lastly, the clevices for the elevators are Dubro micro clevices for .032 piano wire...The reason for going with this Dubro clevice setup is for easy adjustment...If I make a "V" bend in the wire to adjust the length of the control rods the bend will have to be outside of the fuselage for easy adjustment..I want the rods to be SMOOOOTH for less drag----Plus, a screwed on clevice delivers very fine adjustment possibilities...I know that you can adjust subtrim in the radio but with an elevon setup the servos horns need to be EXACTLY perpendicular to each other to deliver exact equal throw...

The next post will be the actual assembly of the stabs...Meanwhile, here are a couple of pics...The first showing the harware components---The second with my youngest son showing how nice the fit is with the piano wire and aluminum tubing bearing material...

Kevin
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:20 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I used this same control horn: easier to hold in place and very light
After installed I painted with white and Itīs almost invisible.
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:40 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
I have to say it is very exciting to see these jets being built! Thanks for sharing guys!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
I have to say it is very exciting to see these jets being built! Thanks for sharing guys!
You must be a proud Papa with all of this "offspring" popping up!!!...Can't wait to fly mine!!!

I now have everything I need...I did find some clone DSM2 micro 2 gram 6 channel receivers on Ebay for micro JST plugs if I decide to ditch the AnyLink RX...I think the price was about $6 + a couple of $$ shipping from California...

Kevin
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
I also bought the R415 receiver and I'll use ite with a 10a esc. But the esc came with a normal jst connector and I had to buy the micro. Wich channel do i have to connect the esc in the receiver?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
You connect the ESC into throttle channel..

Here's a pic of the RX I'm thinking about buying...

Kevin
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
I got to working on the airfoiled stabs of T-45 this evening...

After cutting out the stab skins from 1mm Depron I sanded bevels on the inside of the skins all of the way around the perimeter...This way when I close the stab skins together they will have a very thin edge...I glued the front edge of the skins together and then glued in a micro carbon rod on the inside of the leading edge...When I closed the skins an automatic airfoil shape takes place plus the leading edge of the stabs now have stiffness...

The last pic is of the glued together stab skins...

Next, making the tubes for the pivot rods...

Kevin
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Very nice!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Thank you. I have to wait my jst adapters connectors arrive to plug everything in place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
You connect the ESC into throttle channel..

Here's a pic of the RX I'm thinking about buying...

Kevin
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio View Post
Very nice!
THANKS!!!.......

I got a little more done this evening on the stab mount...I built a box around the stab mount using 2mm Depron...Next, I recessed the stab pivot rod into the fuselage, dry fitting the pivot rod...Note how the wire is 90* to the fuselage...I then bent the rods for the stab anhedral using the TLAR method......

I'm now ready to make the pivots from aluminum tubing...I've gotta say---If you are looking for a fast and easy method then just use Nitro's method of constructing/mounting the stabs...Using hidden hardware within an airfoiled stab takes PATIENCE and TIME!!!.....

Camera angles can make the horizontal pivot rod look slightly off...I've checked, double checked, and TRIPPLE checked the angles...It all looks good in person......

Kevin
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
To give you an idea how small this micro stuff is---Here is the piano wire pivot rod with the outer aluminum pivot sleave that is going to be used...TINY but STRONG!!!......
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Looking great Kevin. This style of posting with lots of photos is enjoyable and helpful. Sure makes for some good sit down, surfing the RCG time well worth it. Take your time, the rewards will be so worth it.

Fred

EDIT: Almost forgot, you sure have big hands
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
I suffered a lot trying to install the stabilizer, once I had no pictures to see neither I had so much help. So I had to do by myself, and I think the result was positive. I worked with very thin carbon fiber rod and glue. The big problem is the little space to work with, once there is a pipe that gets almost all space left in the tail. I liked what you did!

I would like so much to test my Bae Hawk, once I had all equipments on hands:
I bought a new DX6I DSMX, the receiver R415 and everything else. The problem is the micro jst connectors to plug the esc on the receiver As I have two spares micro servos, I almost cutting their connectors to make the instalation

The other problem is that I canīt take the motor of the edf that Dave sent me, once I have a AMMO to put on it. I think Iīll test the motor he sent me and buy another edf case, once Shapeways canīt change it to me neither send it by other way that it is not UPS (I suffer so much expensives taxes on it)...
Last edited by Luis_Claudio; Jul 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:08 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Luis, I will cut, chop, mod, hack, deform, bend or break - whatever has to be done, to make what I need when making my models... just do it!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged