HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2003, 01:51 PM
Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
That's incredible!!!
Any chance of a complete set of parts being available for folks to put together? I would get a Leichty system, but they are so expensive!
If I could put together a simple IR, that would be wonderful.
-Michael
aeropenguin is offline Find More Posts by aeropenguin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2003, 04:47 PM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Hi Guys.

I am doing A-Level design technology, and am building a carbon living room plane, and control system (DIY IR).

I have to make a portfolio for it, and plan on making it public, as it should be a good guide to making this system.

If there was the demand, and those who pioneered the system didnt mind, I guess I could try and put somthing together, after the project.

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Sep 13, 2003, 06:41 PM
Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,508 Posts
clipclop,

Yes I am using a plug. 0.5mm pins, 2mm spacing, smallest I could easily get.

aeropenguin,

Don't think there's enough interest (yet) for kits. But there may be a construction article soon.

Dave
david_dewit is offline Find More Posts by david_dewit
Old Sep 13, 2003, 06:56 PM
Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,508 Posts
Note: the IRLML2502 would be good in most applications, but when using motor/g/p that draws 600mA or more, do not stall motor as it will burn out mosfet. This situation is likely to occur when using bit motors or larger and flying in confined spaces.
I've done two mosets. To avoid this I suggest using two 2502 mosfets or maybe the IRF7805.

Dave
Old Sep 13, 2003, 07:04 PM
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
j8m8l - that's going to make one heckuva science fair project! I am still in school too - the modeling backgroud really helps! I plan on doing either actuators (my afther told me that was college level) carbon fiber composites (and demonstrating it my completely making a micro plane with a CF prop and wheels, etc) or, who knows? Maybe if I get really intersting, maybe I'll even follow David Dewit's footsteps! It would be incredible to have an IR system of my own, that could enable me to build ~.3oz indoor flyers.
David, I am almost 100% sure that there would be enough interest. I would buy one. My friend who is intersted in this stuff would buy one. A few folks reading this thread would buy one. What is that, anyway, a $500 profit already?
AND, it will become popular ONLY if folks find out about it. You have to intruduce it to the world, and then folks will find out about it, buy it, build it, tell their friends, they'll find out about it.....
the entire RCworld was only imagined and created by one person. There was ZERO interst. Only the guy himself (who I believe was [still is alive] John Worth, the guy who started Cloud 9, and writed an article every month for www.rcmicroflight.com
Once he made it, only then did it become popular!
Plus, what's the difficulty of making two or three kits, and seeing what happens. You don't need a website. You could do here in this forum. If you sell a lot, and see a future in it, then make a website and watch it grow!
Heck - at least you might as well start a thread asking for the interest level and see how many folks reply!
Just my little ideas. Just my 2 cents.
-Michael

P.S. Dewit, David!!! I really apologize - I had to say that. How is Dewit pronounced, anyway? Sorry!
Old Sep 13, 2003, 09:06 PM
Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,508 Posts
aeropenguin,

No oppology needed, I did say think and yet.
I had the thought of doing kits myself, or at least supplying the components that have high s&h charges (to get one $4 LTC3200 here would cost $50AUD, makes building small quantities somewhat more costly. They are cheaper to buy in larger quantities, and cheaper because the s&h is divided out).

I think the interest can be guaged to some degree from the existing threads on the subject.

With all respect to Koichi, if you have read this thread from the start you will see there have been a bug or two to sort out. The unit may not have been originaly intended for some applications, eg. the mosfet may not be quite suitable in some situations. It needs to be put to the test, proven before a kit was done.

I have been asked to do an article (have Koichi's permission) on the DIY IR for Inside Story. If the article generates enough interest, well who knows.

I think a kit is neccesary for this to be an affordable proposition for a lot of people.

Dave

de Wit is Dutch
Last edited by david_dewit; Sep 13, 2003 at 10:18 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 05:39 PM
Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,508 Posts
For what its worth, Mark from aeronutz started a thread just weeks ago asking who would be interested in a DIY IR kit, one person put there hand up.

Dave
Old Sep 14, 2003, 06:05 PM
Nickel what?
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
if i had seen the thread, the count would be 2... i've been looking for this kinda thing comercially for a while, but can't find anything in a decent price range that is accessible...
Phreakish is offline Find More Posts by Phreakish
Old Sep 14, 2003, 10:03 PM
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
Really - if I had seen that thread, it would be 3!!! Can anybody plese link to me, or give me Mark's full screen name so I can find it myself?

Thanks!
Michael
Old Sep 15, 2003, 01:05 AM
Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,508 Posts
Josh,

Good time to start that thread.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:38 AM
Bangalore Hindustan, India
Joined Apr 2003
593 Posts
I guess giving all the required components is also a good idea as for me i am still trying to source few componets... I did reply to aeronutz thread..... and iam desperate to have a micro RX, been waiting for the REX RX to complete and also get the components for tHE IR RX and TX
Prashanth is offline Find More Posts by Prashanth
Old Sep 15, 2003, 07:02 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
I don't want to dissuade any of you from making kits. Nor do I know if Koichi's DIY IR is similar to Janne's. But Janne of uIR currently sells a DIY IR kit. http://www.saunalahti.fi/~mvm10/

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Sep 15, 2003, 06:24 PM
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
Incredible! Thanks, Gordon!
Still though, I like David's a lot more. Everything just looks more clean, and the receiver especailly looks smaller and lighter.
I bare;y even wanted to look, expecting through-the-roof prices, but there are comlete kits for ~$80, and a DIY for about $20. Not bad at all.
Ooh - the ESC is included onto the rx too, and it is capable of coreless. I thought they all were, but since there was mention of it, maybe not?
As long as these things weigh very little, around Leichty size, I'll be buying one sooner or later. If this goies in a science Fair project (how works, assembley, programming, etc) then ,aybe my parents will pay for it?
I just emailed them about the rx and onboard equip. weight, and report back in a new thread if it's lightweight, so as not to distract folks from David's marvelous homebrews.
-Michael
Old Sep 21, 2003, 10:45 PM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
On the Max1595 which package?
I'm trying to make a parts list for the rx,the mini infrared transmitter and the pic programmer.

Trying to get everything from Digikey.
Apart from the LTC3200 what else will have to be
ordered from a place other than digikey?

I plan on building the tx without the joystick
just 2 pots with a stick(rudder and ele) and add a 3rd pot for
throttle with a rotary control like volume on walkman.
The code will have to be modified and hopefully the 1684
has 4 analog inputs.

Andy suggested a programmer. Which would be better Koichi's or the one here?
http://www.jdm.homepage.dk/newpic.htm
There is not much difference

Which socket will fit the 1684 and is there a plugin socket that will fit the 12C509?

I'm not up to speed on the SMT sizes and packages so a link to a primer on this and PCB layout would be appreciated if anyone knows of such.

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Old Sep 21, 2003, 11:22 PM
Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,508 Posts
Billy,

Max1595 8/uMAX/uSOP

Hard one to answer, don't know what digikey stock. But I wouldn't think so. The MAX4020 op-amp if you want to drive coils between 50 and 200 ohm.

Koichi's programmer has a light as some indication it is operational.

Don't know about socket, if you mean for programming, I made pic adapter.

PCB layout for ?

Dave