HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2011, 04:01 PM
Joined Aug 2010
26 Posts
Build Log
106” AMR Giant Stick 50 – Das Night Stick

With the winter storms here I’ve been scheming up a big electric night flyer. I ordered a AMR Giant Stick 50 kit on thursday and also got the motor (CA80) and 40 meters of lights on order from hobbyking. According to Dany from AMR the airframe covered weighs about 14 lbs. I started a spreadsheet to start looking at options for the batteries. My plan is to run 12S 10000mah, using 4 6S 5000mah batteries, but I may need to look at other options if I have underestimated something and start getting heavy. I have an ultrastick 25e outfitted with lights that I have been flying since October, it has worked out great. I would like to keep the wing loading the same or lower if possible for the new plane.
lxayres is offline Find More Posts by lxayres
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2011, 08:57 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,088 Posts
Subscribed.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Feb 09, 2011, 02:40 PM
Joined Aug 2010
26 Posts
covering scheme

The giant stick kit shipped this am, hoping it gets here for the weekend so I can get started! I purchased vinyl German logo crosses from AMR, so I'm going with a classic covering scheme. Instead of going with a red base color I have been looking for something that would look better with the led strips. I found a "red-gold magic" ultracote and ordered a roll to see how it would look. It is pretty cool, when the light source is hitting the covering from the same vantage point that you are looking from the covering looks red and when the light source is hitting the covering at an angle it looks gold.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 04:51 PM
West Long Branch, NJ
Joined Oct 2003
1,073 Posts
You're killing me. I thought I was building a fairly large night flyer this year but you take the cake!

It sounds like you plan on going with external illumination. Since you want to show off your covering scheme are you planning to shine the LEDs back on the airframe versus just taping them on the outside? That would be a cool look and at the same time would save the night vision of your fellow pilots (no fun when you're flying at night and an ultra-bright plane comes into your field of vision). Otherwise it might be hard to make out the covering as you were mentioning above.

If you hadn't already committed to the strip lights I would have suggested looking into interally lighting the built-up parts of the plane. That's a very cool looking way to go as well.

Where do you plan on bringing this monster? Should I expect to see her at NEAT?

Naturally, subscribed.

Rob
stangrob is online now Find More Posts by stangrob
Old Feb 09, 2011, 08:01 PM
Joined Aug 2010
26 Posts
I would love to make it to NEAT, if I can find someone crazy enough to spend 20+hrs one way driving with me I’ll be there. (hint hint cyberjay I hadn’t considered trying to go for the red-gold effect during a night fly, that would be pretty awesome. Not sure how I could mount lights to reflect back though, any ideas? Right now my lighting concept is for two modes, one with the logo crosses and some other navigational aids illuminated and “back to the future” mode where everything else would go dark and only blue lights on the wing and stabilizer would light up. I am going to hook both sets up to brushed speed controllers so I can avoid blinding the flightline, but the idea is for it to be over the top bright when it is in the air and far enough away.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:54 PM
Joined Aug 2010
26 Posts
the kit has arrived!

The stick 50 kit arrived from AMR today, a little road rash courtesy of fedex but nothing was damaged. I took a close up of the hardware kit, the manual refers to some of the hardware such as the robart hinges and control horns as optional but they are included. Looks very nice, I'm ready to get going!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:03 PM
Joined Aug 2010
26 Posts
The fuselage went together very easily, a lot of fun to build. Since I will be in and out of the front hatch a lot to change batteries I modified the attachment from screws to magnets. Getting started on the wing today, I started late last night but decided to get some sleep. The jig for the wing is used for both the left and right hand side and each side gets flipped so I was doing some mind benders making sure I was laminating a couple of ribs together correctly.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:28 AM
byte me!
Joined Aug 2008
559 Posts
Its a REALLLLY BIG ultra stick gotta love 'em!
0011000011001 is offline Find More Posts by 0011000011001
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:41 AM
Joined Aug 2010
26 Posts
A little more filling/sanding and I'll be ready to cover. My only major complaint so far is the laser cutting on the wing ribs. Half or more of the ribs had more of a "laser marking", not even close to cut through the wood so I ended up buying a scroll saw to cut them out. Still all in all it is going well, I would still buy the kit.

The CA80 should arrive in the next couple of days, I'll get it mounted and post a pic.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:45 PM
Joined Aug 2010
26 Posts
CA80 mounted, looked like there was too much real estate on the firewall not to do something with it so I drilled eight holes to mount leds in the firewall. I'm going to attempt to use the dimension engineering DELight Controller to do a chaser effect to look like a spinning prop.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:09 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Subscribed.. Thinking this same setup..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:09 PM
Joined Aug 2010
26 Posts
Got the vertical covered and lights installed.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:22 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,088 Posts
When is the maiden? I want to see.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Last edited by CyberJay; Mar 11, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:00 AM
Joined Aug 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
When is the maiden? I want to see.

-Jay
I'm shooting for the end of the month... we'll see. Come over to the house anytime if you want to check it out before!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:54 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,305 Posts
Are you going to open the firewall at all for cooling for the batts/electronics? What kind of flight times are you expecting with 10,000mah?
Very cool build and Ill be curious to see the final product!
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89