HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:50 AM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
Discussion
Does nitroplanes or the manufacturer test EDF units before shipping?

Do they test the motor/fan unit before shipping? (Dynam Meteor).

I ask because my supposedly brand new EDF unit clearly has usage skuff marks inside the fan duct where the unbalanced blades hit the tube wall. So are these signs of factory testing or did they send me a used/returned unit?

p.s. this seems like an edf question so i didnt post to vendors
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:56 PM
Joined Jan 2010
752 Posts
Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbird View Post
do they test the motor/fan unit before shipping? (dynam meteor).

I ask because my supposedly brand new edf unit clearly has usage skuff marks inside the fan duct where the unbalanced blades hit the tube wall. So are these signs of factory testing or did they send me a used/returned unit?

P.s. This seems like an edf question so i didnt post to vendors
sometimes those scrape marks are from fan testing, on some occassion you have a rotor that will not spin because it's to tight inside the edf unit so by spooling the fan up during testing will allow for the fan to heat up and expand thus allowing the rotor to move more appropriately.
FLYGUY24/7 is offline Find More Posts by FLYGUY24/7
Last edited by FLYGUY24/7; Feb 07, 2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 04:07 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texbird View Post
Do they test the motor/fan unit before shipping? (Dynam Meteor).

I ask because my supposedly brand new EDF unit clearly has usage skuff marks inside the fan duct where the unbalanced blades hit the tube wall. So are these signs of factory testing or did they send me a used/returned unit?

p.s. this seems like an edf question so i didnt post to vendors
Don't worry about the scuff marks on the housing. The factory tests all the units to make sure the fan is working properly. The scuff marks are there because sometimes one or two fan blades are longer by just a hair. By testing and running the motor it helps set the correct tolerance so that way there is not air loss
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Feb 07, 2011, 06:39 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,379 Posts
Quote:
The factory tests all the units to make sure the fan is working properly
Yea for the rotation, so it blows instead of sucks. I doubt that anyone at any factory actually knows the definition of balance at all. What would you expect for 12 cents a day and all the dirty water you can drink.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Last edited by ApexAero; Feb 07, 2011 at 11:30 PM.