HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:33 AM
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
Discussion
Charging Batteries

OK, first question - I have a Patriot HT Ultra Charger and I am charging a 3S 5000mah 40C battery.
There are several settings for lipo's, you got "Charging Lithium Battery", "Charging Lithium Battery at balance mode" and "Fast Charging Lithium Battery"

Which is should I use? I have been using the mode charging at balance mode, I got the amps set at 5 and 11.1 volts and it takes right at an hour for it to charge up and beep.
Is this mode OK to use all the time?

I tried the Fast Charge but it still took along time,my son unplugged the battery before it beep but that was over an hour. How long does it take to charge it in fast mode.

Do I ever need to discharge the 3S? If so, why? Would I use "Discharge or " Voltage Balancing and Monitoring during Discharge?

I also have some older batteries that are Nickel Cadmium, I guess are NiCad batteries. Brand is Dynamite Dyna-Sport 1500.
How would I set the charger for this battery? I had it set to NiCd - Manual - 1.5 amps - discharge/charge. Is this right?
Also,there while it's on the charger in the upper left corner I can change the amps from .1 to 1.0,what does that need to be set on?

Thanks,
nurcr is offline Find More Posts by nurcr
Last edited by nurcr; Feb 07, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:13 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 2006
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurcr View Post
OK, first question - I have a Patriot HT Ultra Charger and I am charging a 3S 5000mah 40C battery.
There are several settings for lipo's, you got "Charging Lithium Battery", "Charging Lithium Battery at balance mode" and "Fast Charging Lithium Battery"

Which is should I use? I have been using the mode charging at balance mode, I got the amps set at 5 and 11.1 volts and it takes right at an hour for it to charge up and beep.
Is this mode OK to use all the time?

I tried the Fast Charge but it still took along time,my son unplugged the battery before it beep but that was over an hour. How long does it take to charge it in fast mode.

Do I ever need to discharge the 3S? If so, why? Would I use "Discharge or " Voltage Balancing and Monitoring during Discharge?

I also have some older batteries that are Nickel Cadmium, I guess are NiCad batteries. Brand is Dynamite Dyna-Sport 1500.
How would I set the charger for this battery? I had it set to NiCd - Manual - 1.5 amps - discharge/charge. Is this right?
Also,there while it's on the charger in the upper left corner I can change the amps from .1 to 1.0,what does that need to be set on?

Thanks,
You want to always balance charge lipos so use the 'Charging Lithium Battery at balance mode". The only way the charger has of seeing individual cell voltages is while the balance connector is connected - if a prob occurs, this is the quickest way for the charger to catch it early and prevent a problem. That's the average balance charge time for a discharged lipo ~1hour, so that sound fine.

Some chargers to the FAST mode diff, but lipo charge is in two part - CC/CV - constant current (1C type rate) followed by constant voltage where the voltage is held constant and the current falls off as lipo finishes topping off. This is the slowest of the 2 parts and usually FAST mode just stops whern the CC part is over. Yours must be doing something diff, it should be faster

Lipo has a finite life - certain number of charges/discharges, so I don't ever discharge mine - I put it in one of my RCs and run it down that way. I'm not familar with your charger, but usually in storage mode, the charger will do what's needed based on the lipo voltage. If it needs discharging, however, it can take quite a while on some chargers due to their limited discharge watts. Some chargers have 5watts discharge limit and discharging a full one will take days. I always come at storage from a lower voltage so the charger charges the lipo to storage (usually ~3.85v/cell), it's much faster that way.

The 1.5amps for your NiCds sounds fine. As long as they get warm/hot on charge, you're doing it right.
Duster_360 is offline Find More Posts by Duster_360
Old Feb 08, 2011, 05:04 AM
india
Joined May 2010
486 Posts
And if you do discharge your lipos, go for the 'Voltage Balancing and Monitoring during Discharge' mode.
iamahuman is offline Find More Posts by iamahuman
Old Feb 08, 2011, 06:43 AM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
I only discharge my lipos when I have charged them up but for some reason cant get out to run them, So I discharge back to 3.85v a cell. I have a 20amp discharger so it does not take long.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Feb 08, 2011, 06:47 AM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Mar 2009
305 Posts
NURCR

I also have a Patriot HT Ultra charger. Unfortunately, I recently relocated my garage/shop and somehow mannaged to misplace - translates "I think they may have gotten tossed." the instructions. My local HT has no chargers in stock and I can't seem to locate a contact for Patriot R/C. So I'm trying to get a set of instructions copied. I'm in Tucson, AZ - if you could help out I'd appreciate it, contact me via PM. Thanks, Paul
helipilot67 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot67
Old Feb 08, 2011, 07:42 AM
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
I discharged/charged the NiCd battery early yesterday afternoon and tried it out when I got home about 5:45 and put it in my old Losi truck and it went about 5 feet and stopped. If I charge it on the old fast charger for 30 - 45 minutes and use it right away it lasts about a few minutes, but it's slow running.
I think those batteries are shot,they have been sitting around for years not being charged.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 05:12 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Mar 2009
305 Posts
This charger is marketed under a variety of names - I was able to find the "User Guide" on Horizon Hobbies - under Orion chargers -here's the link just in case anyone else is missing the guide.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...6#quickSupport

Paul
Tucson, AZ
helipilot67 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot67
Old Feb 08, 2011, 07:34 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 2006
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurcr View Post
I discharged/charged the NiCd battery early yesterday afternoon and tried it out when I got home about 5:45 and put it in my old Losi truck and it went about 5 feet and stopped. If I charge it on the old fast charger for 30 - 45 minutes and use it right away it lasts about a few minutes, but it's slow running.
I think those batteries are shot,they have been sitting around for years not being charged.

I know NiMhs that have been sitting unused will sometimes 'come back' if you cycle them. Not sure if NiCds have the same recovery potential. You're prob better off with some fresh Nimhs anyway.
Duster_360 is offline Find More Posts by Duster_360
Old Feb 09, 2011, 08:20 AM
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
I know NiMhs that have been sitting unused will sometimes 'come back' if you cycle them. Not sure if NiCds have the same recovery potential. You're prob better off with some fresh Nimhs anyway.
I think you're right,I'd rather have something with more mah for longer run times anyway.