HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:06 AM
USA, CA, Arcadia
Joined Apr 2006
346 Posts
Question
how to repair antenna?

I recently purchased a 6 channel corona fm receiver. It had a kink in the antenna. When I put it in my plane and tried to maiden, I lost control when the model was 20 feet away. I duplicated the problem when I put the receiver in another plane and lost control after 20 feet.
My question is if I could just replace a kinked antenna wire with the wire from another fm receiver? does it have to be the same gauge?

any help would be greatly appreciated
vmaxmasonrya is offline Find More Posts by vmaxmasonrya
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:19 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,709 Posts
As long as its close to the same gauge...you dont want too thin for durability reasons, nor too thick for weight. The rx doesnt care what gauge it is, all that matters to it is the length. Get the length as close as you can to the original...within 1/4inch should be fine
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:28 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue View Post
As long as its close to the same gauge...you dont want too thin for durability reasons, nor too thick for weight. The rx doesnt care what gauge it is, all that matters to it is the length. Get the length as close as you can to the original...within 1/4inch should be fine
What he said.

Any gauge will be fine, but get too thin and it will break easily.

The "kink" in your original antenna has probably caused the wire to break inside the insulation, resulting in a significantly shorter antenna.

Before you fly this receiver again, and ANY receiver you are unfamiliar with, DO A RANGE CHECK.

Good luck with your repair. Don't overheat the circuit bd. when you attach the new antenna. One way to avoid this is to cut the existing antenna a few inches from the bd. and attach your new one to that point, avoiding having to heat the bd. at all.

On some receiver I've done this and then used a small bullet connector to attach the antenna. This allows you to easily remove the receiver and move it around planes without having to remove the entire antenna.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:46 AM
USA, CA, Arcadia
Joined Apr 2006
346 Posts
wow! thank you for your answers. I guess you are up late as well.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:22 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
CoastalFlyer gave some very good advice. I'll only add that soldering very thin wire and/or soldering to a very small PC board requires some skill that is only obtained with experience.

If you are not real good or experienced with soldering, please, find someone who is to do this 2 minute job. Your receiver can be ruined in the same amount of time if the job isn't done correctly

Besides heat, solder "bridges" can form which can really mess things up.

The only problem with cutting the antenna wire short, then soldering to that piece, is that where the wire/solder joint is located becomes a stress point. It will be very easy for that exact spot to break with some flexing. It can work okay, but if you do the repair this way, be sure to tape the wire joint to the airplane surface so that this area does not flex at all.

This is a very simple repair, but a very important one that you want to make sure was done correctly.

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:38 AM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
You could probably get away with buying a shortened antennae. I think azarr makes them? and are really short, easy to install, and cheap. and proven to work.
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:59 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I've replaced antennas a few times. A 4 channel Berg I had, the antenna was ripped off of the board. I used a 25 watt soldering iron to get it back on the board. It t'weren't easy!!!!
I've also made patches where I had to re-attach a portion of the antenna. This was easier than the other repair. I used shrink also. Both of these rx's work like new. Especially the Berg since it's been repaired twice and has also spent some time in trees for a few weeks.
One thing to keep in mind like some of the others have said, keep the length!!!!
I believe 72 mhz FM rx antennas are 39 inches long.

Lucky...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Feb 08, 2011, 02:22 AM
USA, CA, Arcadia
Joined Apr 2006
346 Posts
thanks everyone.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:22 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,045 Posts
On a typical receiver, a 39 to 41 inch antenna will work well, you won't be able to tell the difference in performance with those limits on length.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:00 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer View Post
What he said.

Any gauge will be fine, but get too thin and it will break easily.

The "kink" in your original antenna has probably caused the wire to break inside the insulation, resulting in a significantly shorter antenna.

Before you fly this receiver again, and ANY receiver you are unfamiliar with, DO A RANGE CHECK.

Good luck with your repair. Don't overheat the circuit bd. when you attach the new antenna. One way to avoid this is to cut the existing antenna a few inches from the bd. and attach your new one to that point, avoiding having to heat the bd. at all.

On some receiver I've done this and then used a small bullet connector to attach the antenna. This allows you to easily remove the receiver and move it around planes without having to remove the entire antenna.
That's an excellent idea - one other possibility would be to use the gold pin and socket from an ordinary servo extension lead, soldered or crimped, as appropriate ad further secured with a piece of heatshrink.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer