HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by HeliGriff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:46 PM
Registered User
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
heh heh heh

Busted!

I'm starting to feel like the guy who dog-paddled for so long and got to be so vigorous in doing it that he could almost appear to keep up with those using regular swimming strokes!

I am indeed largely keeping orientation tail-in, even when moving rapidly in or out, but I do alternate the nose to the right or left for lateral passes, and I am actually *able* to hover nose-in, do piros, etc, so I should have all the elements to do complete circuits... but back to swimming analogies, I'm just not ready to let go of the side of the pool just yet.
I started off learning to do complete circuits using a small CB100 in my living room, then moved it up to a 4#6 Bell, and CB180 at the BB stadium, Ufly, V200 etc. Strangely enough I would still crash my HoneyBee King2 when ever I turned it around. So I purchased a CP trainer in the form of an ESKY CP3, and then kitted it out with Walkera electrics so I could get it onto my 2801pro. This was going to be my smack down CP trainer heli, so I took it to the BB stadium and though here we go im going to do a few circuits, and around she went smooth as silk, and ive never crashed it. This gave me some confidence to start doing circuits with my 4F200 and all my CP heli's. So at the end of the day the only problem was in my head, thinking i'm going to crash. It was just a confidence thing. Your actually safer in FF than a high hover which is easy to fall out backwards with all CP heli's. In FF you are just steering the heli. In a high nose in hover its a balancing act.

Heres my V200 doing a few circuits at the field, and the second is my 4F200 on the same day. Those stormy days create some great dense air with a lot of lift as the moisture goes skyward.

Walkera V200D02 outdoor flight (2 min 37 sec)


Walkera 4F200 outdoor flight (3 min 26 sec)


Note- the roll over on landing with the 4F200. Its radio glitch that has plagued me since that day with the 4F200, so eventually I plan on upgrading its RX to the 2618V that comes with the 4F200LM.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:55 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,345 Posts
Friends Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
P...
And with that, I will now stop my O/T posts here on this thread (sorry V200D01 fans, did not mean to come in and start spewing O/T posts left and right... but I am a noob, and my enthusiasms are zooming out in all directions in this hobby, so I just now noticed I was being rude!
THREAD DISCLAIMER: Although this Thread began as a V200D01 "info" site, it has evolved into a circle of cyber friends who fly everything from helis, to fixed wing, to motorized garbage-can lids. ALL TOPICS, PHOTOS, & VIDEOS ARE WELCOME!
HeliGriff is online now Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:04 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
...Note- the roll over on landing with the 4F200. Its radio glitch that has plagued me since that day with the 4F200, Mick
Sure... it's a radio glitch. uh huh!

Great flying Mick! You are way beyond my skill level at FFF circuits, primarily because I rarely get the V200D01 out into an open field. I need to do that! My stuff is all close-in.

A good friend of mine lives in Sydney and works at the city's Yacht Services Center.

Keep up the great flying, the Walkera updates, and post more videos! You guys have me wanting a 4F200. Darn you guys! You watch, Tracknoob will post "do it..do it!" ..next
HeliGriff is online now Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:41 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Put my even crazier Champ flight video from today up on the Champ thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post19135286



(Needless to say, in that wind, I decided not to play with the scale Sikorsky today.)

And with that, I will now stop my O/T posts here on this thread (sorry V200D01 fans, did not mean to come in and start spewing O/T posts left and right... but I am a noob, and my enthusiasms are zooming out in all directions in this hobby, so I just now noticed I was being rude!
Nice Champ video! That has to be tough in the wind since you cannot stop and hover! Whew!
HeliGriff is online now Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:46 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,345 Posts
Not that I'm thinking about it, mind you.. but.. other than the cosmetics, is the 4F200LM the same as the standard 4F200? What does "simulated" three-blade rotor head mean?

The videos that I've seen, the 4F200 flies great! On the Walkera 4F200LM videos, the LM handles horribly. Maybe it was the pilot.
HeliGriff is online now Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:15 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I started off learning to do complete circuits using a small CB100 in my living room,

Heres my V200 doing a few circuits at the field
Awesome! That's where I need to be in future -- going to put some effort in it!

Quote:
Note- the roll over on landing with the 4F200. Its radio glitch that has plagued me since that day with the 4F200, so eventually I plan on upgrading its RX to the 2618V that comes with the 4F200LM.

Mick
BINGO! I'm so glad you guys can laugh at it on the video, and I now can laugh too -- but only after mounting a 2702v on my own 4f200 and having it FINALLY fly like silk..... after going through repairing three different airframes, 3 different 2612s and a multitude of parts based on that %#@$#%^^ receiver and it's insane suicidal glitches! In fact, just tonight I am rebuilding my 'backup' 4f200 that I got as part of a trade. I was *this* close to trying it out with new curves to let it throttle up beyond 40% before positive pitch comes in... supposedly that was a way around the glitch... but instead, since the #2 heli needs a tail boom (lightly dented from a 2612-induced lunge) and a canopy (2612 again!), I went ahead and tucked a 2618 on that order as well, and I won't fly it until the new receiver comes in.

Next time I take my .308 out to the range, all three of those 2612s are coming with me... I'll leave it at that.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:15 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
THREAD DISCLAIMER: Although this Thread began as a V200D01 "info" site, it has evolved into a circle of cyber friends who fly everything from helis, to fixed wing, to motorized garbage-can lids. ALL TOPICS, PHOTOS, & VIDEOS ARE WELCOME!
Whew!

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:21 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Not that I'm thinking about it, mind you.. but.. other than the cosmetics, is the 4F200LM the same as the standard 4F200? What does "simulated" three-blade rotor head mean?

The videos that I've seen, the 4F200 flies great! On the Walkera 4F200LM videos, the LM handles horribly. Maybe it was the pilot.
I was poking around through the 4f200LM parts list tonight, since I ordered it's receiver for my 4f200 and was looking into that. I will give fair warning to you 4f200 pilots -- yes, there is some parts commonality, and a TON of design philosophy underpinnings the same, obviously. But there are a huge number of new, totally different and not interchangeable parts - prime example is I was going to order a spare tail shaft for the belt drive on mine... I noticed that the LM looks like it's gone shaft drive for the tail ,from the gear set back there. Similarly, the swash... I noticed it looks close, but there is a totally different mounting bracket to the anti-rotation, so who knows what else is different? Let's just say it is clear that you can't just order a short list of body parts and turn your 4f200 into an LM, and perhaps they even purposely made it that way. I noticed the retail price for the 4f200 and the LM are exactly the same. I also noticed they are still using the 2612v on the 4f200. I can only PRAY for anyone buying one today, that the internal firmware has been debugged and matches the supposedly glitch-free LM receiver. But I'm sure not willing to bet on it, personally.

Oh, and "simulated three blade" threw me for a loop so completely that I actually kept from ordering this heli for the longest time until I finally saw close up pics of the swash, the blades, the shaft, the motor, and finally, in-flight video to confirm it was a true three bladed heli, no flybar no strange pseudo blade hanging out there for looks only... I could not imagine what the heck the 'simulated' was in reference to, and still can't. I wondered if it had to do with the fact the blades are not real CF, but they seem to be.... for a while it drove me crazy, then I just chalked it up to confused Chinglish that never got fixed. Glad I am not the only one who both caught it and was bugged by it!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:57 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
I was poking around through the 4f200LM parts list tonight, since I ordered it's receiver for my 4f200 and was looking into that. I will give fair warning to you 4f200 pilots -- yes, there is some parts commonality, and a TON of design philosophy underpinnings the same, obviously. But there are a huge number of new, totally different and not interchangeable parts - prime example is I was going to order a spare tail shaft for the belt drive on mine... I noticed that the LM looks like it's gone shaft drive for the tail ,from the gear set back there. Similarly, the swash... I noticed it looks close, but there is a totally different mounting bracket to the anti-rotation, so who knows what else is different? Let's just say it is clear that you can't just order a short list of body parts and turn your 4f200 into an LM, and perhaps they even purposely made it that way. I noticed the retail price for the 4f200 and the LM are exactly the same. I also noticed they are still using the 2612v on the 4f200. I can only PRAY for anyone buying one today, that the internal firmware has been debugged and matches the supposedly glitch-free LM receiver. But I'm sure not willing to bet on it, personally.

Oh, and "simulated three blade" threw me for a loop so completely that I actually kept from ordering this heli for the longest time until I finally saw close up pics of the swash, the blades, the shaft, the motor, and finally, in-flight video to confirm it was a true three bladed heli, no flybar no strange pseudo blade hanging out there for looks only... I could not imagine what the heck the 'simulated' was in reference to, and still can't. I wondered if it had to do with the fact the blades are not real CF, but they seem to be.... for a while it drove me crazy, then I just chalked it up to confused Chinglish that never got fixed. Glad I am not the only one who both caught it and was bugged by it!
Awesome info. To me, it sounds like a 4F200 standard with a 2801 TX and the 2702v RX is the way to go. I may have to insert that combo in between my CF 450 (arriving Friday!) and my "someday" TRex600.
HeliGriff is online now Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:13 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,345 Posts
Motor e-clips on V200D01

Tip: NEVER THROW AWAY OLD PARTS.

A few months back, I had a motor that seemed to come apart whenever it spooled up. The e-clip had fallen off. The problem is that I didn't know that it had an e-clip in the first place. I just ordered a new motor.

This week I discovered that the last good screw-holes on the new motor had stripped out. It appears that I'm tightening them too much and stripping out the threads. That's when I discovered the e-clip on the new motor. Ding-ding-ding! ..The lights came on and I realized why the old motor bearing fell out upon spin-up. Since I don't throw anything away, I took the e-clip off the new (stripped) motor, put it on the old motor, and she's 100% now.

Earlier this year, a flyer told me to keep everything. "Just get a box for old, damaged, worn parts." he said. Thanks for the tip Joey!
HeliGriff is online now Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:24 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,055 Posts
BTW, the 'boilerplate' text Walkera uses, and is even re-using in marketing the brand new 4f200LM is:

Quote:
Simulated three-blade structure takes advantage of high efficiency and steady flight.
I have no clue what that either means, or is supposed to mean.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:24 PM
Registered User
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Next time I take my .308 out to the range, all three of those 2612s are coming with me... I'll leave it at that.
ROFL I know where your coming from there hehe. I think the 2612s might be OK for fixed wing RX's. I havnt tried it yet but I think if you turn the dip switch to "ADJ" and set a flat pitch curve those RX's might still have some use.

Heres my 4F200 one day when the RX was playing up something bad.

4F200 crash (1 min 29 sec)


I should have grounded it or re-initialised as soon as it played up on take, but I let it settle in the air as you can see and it appeared OK, but glitched part way though the turn and rolled over is classic RX-2612V manuever hehe. Ive felt like putting the whole heli in my sandwich press at times. Best advise I could give with the 4F200 is to buy the 4F200LM because it has the new RX. If you want a stock pod boom belt-drive 4F200 you going to have to upgrade the RX to either the 2618v or the more expensive 2702v as mentioned. Fitting a V200 yellow canopy on the 4F200 is another good option as you can see from my field video it disappears quite readily into the landscape at the field.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:27 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,055 Posts
So, which came first the chicken or the egg? Is this type of language where the Walkera statement comes from, or is this vendor just trying to stretch the stuff given already by Walkera (like they are doing with the price, too!)?

Quote:
Compared with the normal two-blade helicopters, the brand new simulation model 4F200LM features some unique points. Modelers are going on the way to fly more stimulated helicopters with three blades after they enjoy the two-blade flybarless.
http://hobbyone.com.hk/cn/product.jsp?id=10186
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:48 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Heres my 4F200 one day when the RX was playing up something bad.


... glitched part way though the turn and rolled over is classic RX-2612V manuever hehe. Ive felt like putting the whole heli in my sandwich press

Mick
It's amazing -- real-time, on the video, you just like prior vid, and just like me, just have to laugh.


I mean, to get airborne you lay out about three hundred smackers, then you tweak, you adjust, you set up, you train, you fly other lesser models to get ready... then just when this little jewel is acting right and you are feeling pretty good.... BLAM -- it shoots itself out of the sky like a wounded duck, and you are left making excuses to friends and spectators who could not believe your tale in a million years! Joke Copter!

Ah, well, a few of us hardcore nuts, with more persistence than brains seem to have gotten them to our liking one way or another. There are some out there who claim they ran the 2612 right out of the box and have never had an issue and can still fly 'em. All I can do is shrug. I sure know what every one of mine has eventually done, on different settings, different modes, different chassis, etc. There was one time I really thought I had it, and it eventually did just like yours -- flung itself to earth from even higher than usual. I think I attributed it to the little swash lockdown linkage, since it busted loose in the crash, but in reality, we all know the evil perpetrator!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:52 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
So, which came first the chicken or the egg? Is this type of language where the Walkera statement comes from, or is this vendor just trying to stretch the stuff given already by Walkera (like they are doing with the price, too!)?


http://hobbyone.com.hk/cn/product.jsp?id=10186
That's what has kept me away from the 4F200 at $399, 450D01 at $499, and 500D01 at $699, is price*! At those prices, I'd rather wait and get an Align. Although, the 4F200 is tempting. We'll see..

*WowHobbies prices with 2801TX/2702RX
HeliGriff is online now Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Self-Righting Airplanes Don't Teach Newbies To Fly Tepid Pilot Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 87 Oct 01, 2010 10:19 AM
Discussion Just an Idea that may help with some many questions from Newbies Ben Morrow Batteries and Chargers 4 Sep 29, 2010 01:46 PM
Discussion Newbies guide to picking motors. NoFlyZone Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 4 Sep 23, 2010 10:54 AM
Discussion Newbies Need Help, Kentucky Fried ESC catscratch Electric Plane Talk 22 Sep 19, 2010 09:09 PM