HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by HeliGriff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:19 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
TThe direct upload from Freemake is a little better quality than Windows or RealPlayer. It's super easy to use too. Thanks TrackNoob!
Glad the Freemake helped -- I'm using it right now, myself for a little 4f200 action this afternoon, that will put on youtube later.

I think the vid of my own short flight today came out great, but I had my cam set sideways instead of 'right side up' for this one because I had removed the side velcro and so only had the bottom velcro to work with at the field. In a way, it comes out better this way, because I was able to capture the vertical range of the heli better, while my eye/camera tracking was set up good on the horizontal, so I did not need those extra pixels in that direction. I'll post a link to illustrate what I'm talking about once it's on youtube.

BTW, that little 4f200 is such a pleasure and such a speedster once it's debugged and set up right! My mcpx sometimes is not as much fun outdoors because it's so small you 'lose' it if you go very far, and the 450 and larger are cool, but take more effort and concern and space... So, you are right that the niche in your collection for a 200-250 sized heli really is good one to fill, for those of you who haven't already done so!

And yup, I have found that the more steps and tools you have to use to make these vids, the more chances you have to mess up screen size and or resolution and just generally screw it up. So, the Freemake thing is terrific because it lets you do some basic clippin' if you need to (front end, back end and cuss words for me!), and then convert, in a single all-in-one session, using just one tool, and then directly convert to any of a whole host of output formats, including flv for youtube. Best money I never spent!

tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Aug 23, 2011 at 03:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:10 PM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,404 Posts
I'll probably do what every heli-veteran does, go up and up and up in size. Then, ten years later, end up flying 200/300 class birds because you can fly them almost anywhere (among wires, poles, trees), anytime, inside or outside.
HeliGriff is online now Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:03 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
I'll probably do what every heli-veteran does, go up and up and up in size. Then, ten years later, end up flying 200/300 class birds because you can fly them almost anywhere (among wires, poles, trees), anytime, inside or outside.
Yup! That's exactly how it works.
dsobbe is online now Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:28 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
I must be on the down hill slide after 3x100's, 4x300's, 2x350's, 2x400's, 3x450's, 1x550, and now ive got a 500kit on the floor in a box

300's are a fun size knock about heli, for indoor stadiums and no wind outdoors in close because they are hard to see. If your going to have some reliable outdoor fun then I guess its hard to go past a 450 CP heli. 550's are super stable, and easy to see, but theres a lot of mass and spinning rotor blades coming at you should something go wrong. 450's are the sports car that everybody likes, but i'm getting older and looking for something in the middle. Hopefully a 500 will fill that sweet spot, between, speed(450), and stability(550). Otherwise I might need to embrace fixed wing as I age.

The 4F180 is still a sweat little heli though thats caused me no grief so far, I like it

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:18 AM
Joined Nov 2010
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I must be on the down hill slide after 3x100's, 4x300's, 2x350's, 2x400's, 3x450's, 1x550, and now ive got a 500kit on the floor in a box

300's are a fun size knock about heli, for indoor stadiums and no wind outdoors in close because they are hard to see. If your going to have some reliable outdoor fun then I guess its hard to go past a 450 CP heli. 550's are super stable, and easy to see, but theres a lot of mass and spinning rotor blades coming at you should something go wrong. 450's are the sports car that everybody likes, but i'm getting older and looking for something in the middle. Hopefully a 500 will fill that sweet spot, between, speed(450), and stability(550). Otherwise I might need to embrace fixed wing as I age.

The 4F180 is still a sweat little heli though thats caused me no grief so far, I like it

Mick
Or a FP450 or 500 like this
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=332723
alexaglob is offline Find More Posts by alexaglob
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:09 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexaglob View Post
Thats FP450 flies beautifully, but I still prefer CP heli's. Granted the likes of that FP450 and the 4F180 fly in a similar way in FF to CP heli's. Ive seen modded HBFP heli's fly great as well, but they all lack the pull out power of a CP heli should you get into trouble. FP heli's are always going to be a little puffy as the RPM drops, and the pull out is governed by slower acceleration speed of the outrunner. I know from flying all my heli's that head design and TX setup generally determines whether the heli will fly like its on rails. The pilot in that FP450 appears to be quite skilled as well. All credits to him with a great mod. Thx for posting.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:14 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
I think the vid of my own short flight today came out great, but I had my cam set sideways instead of 'right side up' ...

I was able to capture the vertical range of the heli...

I'll post a link
Argh.

Finally got tired of messing around trying to clip and convert for max resolution, and just loaded it as a WMV file. Not happy with the results at all as compared to what I see coming right off the camera, but I will eventually figure it out. If you want best resolution, then chose full screen and 720p, but then be prepared to wait for it to load (heh heh...)

Again, nothing spectacular on the vid, just me letting my little 4f200 stretch it's wings a little.

I'm saying in a few weeks, this is probably the heli I will use (while at altitude!) to try my first real life rolls and loops with a heli. I have confidence this little fella can pull it off no problem, if the pilot is up to the task.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-QKu4aLGRQ
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:47 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,404 Posts
Quote:
Argh.

Finally got tired of messing around trying to clip and convert for max resolution, and just loaded it as a WMV file. Not happy with the results at all as compared to what I see coming right off the camera, but I will eventually figure it out. If you want best resolution, then chose full screen and 720p, but then be prepared to wait for it to load (heh heh...)

Again, nothing spectacular on the vid, just me letting my little 4f200 stretch it's wings a little.

I'm saying in a few weeks, this is probably the heli I will use (while at altitude!) to try my first real life rolls and loops with a heli. I have confidence this little fella can pull it off no problem, if the pilot is up to the task.

Good video. Nice Piros! I can't tell if you are all-tails or doing circles. I think I know my problem, my eyesight! Your 4F200 is a dot in the sky! I may just have to go bigger like Bravo47 and you to see 'em!

Nice work! Glad you got out for some fun!

ADDENDUM: I obviously don't have enough helis yet
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:39 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,341 Posts
Quote:
I can't tell if you are all-tails or doing circles. I think I know my problem, my eyesight!
heh heh heh

Busted!

I'm starting to feel like the guy who dog-paddled for so long and got to be so vigorous in doing it that he could almost appear to keep up with those using regular swimming strokes!

I am indeed largely keeping orientation tail-in, even when moving rapidly in or out, but I do alternate the nose to the right or left for lateral passes, and I am actually *able* to hover nose-in, do piros, etc, so I should have all the elements to do complete circuits... but back to swimming analogies, I'm just not ready to let go of the side of the pool just yet.

HOWEVER, I do have my li'l Champ sitting right on the table by the door so that I can take it out for some nice relaxing plank flying at the park today, to get me more comfortable with orientations. That is my plan, is to get used to the airplanes in basic full circuits and maneuvers, then apply it to my helis so I don't crash them through 'wrong thumbing'.

I guess If I had focused harder and invested more time in sim, then my progression as seen on the field would have been much faster, but I am doing this just to enjoy, not on a schedule, so I do allow myself to spend a lot more time on the helis with adjusting, building, playing with them than actually buckling down to building the essential pilot skills like I "should" up front. But I will get there! In fact, I had packed up my H-5 heli to take to the park today too, because just like the 4f200 and the Baron 20, etc, I am tuning and tweaking the helis to be stable and good in basic hover and FFF, then mostly 'parking' them until my skills catch up to really be able to explore them further.

You should see (in fact, I might still have the vid somewhere!) what I looked like a few weeks or a month ago trying to wring out my CP-Pro2 based UH-1, with lights and other goodies at the park. If you know the CP-Pro2, then you know it's a squirrelly little fella anyway, and no less so when dressed in a scale body, IMHO! Plus, I am not running any expo, and the curves are not quite right yet, so I chased that thing left, right, up, down, around, but do eventually manage to wrangle it down to a nice soft landing, but not before some pretty sweaty palms!

I'm having a blast!

EDIT TI ADD: Found vid of UH-1. Will post this afternoon for your humorous enjoyment.
Last edited by tracknoob; Aug 24, 2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:52 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,404 Posts
Quote:
heh heh heh

Busted!

...I'm having a blast!
That's the bottom line! If you only ever hover, but you love it, then who cares!

I've never had a Sim. If I were you, it would be an EASY transition without a Sim because you have the perfect stable trainer, the 4F200. Start by hovering sideways EXCLUSIVELY for a few days. Then, sideways forward/back/left/right, for a week. Then, the transition to nose-in is a piece-o-cake! Within two weeks you'll be as comfortable with nose-in, as you are with tail-in. I don't even have to think about it anymore.

Have fun & Happy Flying!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:29 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,404 Posts
Quote:
Argh.

.., if the pilot is up to the task.

Re: Video

Have you considered standing up while flying? That's got to be hard lying down. Okay, now I'm being a Smart !

Thanks for the video, though. It is a good one!

I can't wait to record something that actually has the heli in the picture! Duh!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:42 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,341 Posts
Quote:
Re: Video Have you considered standing up while flying? That's got to be hard lying down.
Hey, I told you I'm retired!

Actually, I had *just* remembered to slap a new piece of Velcro™ on the glasses cam, so it does not need to be rotated to view properly, so today's vids should not strain the neck!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:54 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,341 Posts
Okay, crazy man trying to handle crazy heli!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o--JpxoUDs4
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:12 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,404 Posts
Quote:
Okay, crazy man trying to handle crazy heli!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o--JpxoUDs4
LOL! Looks like me trying to fly the 450! Nice landing. Looked like a walk in the park to me, for YOU that is.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:30 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,341 Posts
Quote:
LOL! Looks like me trying to fly the 450! Nice landing. Looked like a walk in the park to me, for YOU that is.
Put my even crazier Champ flight video from today up on the Champ thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post19135286

(Needless to say, in that wind, I decided not to play with the scale Sikorsky today.)

And with that, I will now stop my O/T posts here on this thread (sorry V200D01 fans, did not mean to come in and start spewing O/T posts left and right... but I am a noob, and my enthusiasms are zooming out in all directions in this hobby, so I just now noticed I was being rude!