HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by HeliGriff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:10 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,033 Posts
Re: Your Posts #28 & 29 "Toilet Bowl Effect"
Additional Info

I ran into a TBE problem with the V200D01 and found that slightly different tail rotor bolt tightness was the cause. Both blades swung about the same amount when shaken on their sides. But, I had to actually loosen one ever so slightly to locate the cause. And I can reproduce it, too.
Perhaps their's some relationship between blade bolt
tightness(friction) and slight blade imbalance. At any rate, it's another thing to check when you have TBE.
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:13 PM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,337 Posts
TBE- Part Three

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
Re: Your Posts #28 & 29 "Toilet Bowl Effect"
Additional Info

I ran into a TBE problem with the V200D01 and found that slightly different tail rotor bolt tightness was the cause. Both blades swung about the same amount when shaken on their sides. But, I had to actually loosen one ever so slightly to locate the cause. And I can reproduce it, too.
Perhaps their's some relationship between blade bolt
tightness(friction) and slight blade imbalance. At any rate, it's another thing to check when you have TBE.
That's an excellent observation! For a long while, I got tired of adjusting the blades to that "perfect point" where they hold position until you give the heli a shake. So, I started tightening the blades down a little tighter than you should. On the V200D01, being FP, you can get away with it, to a point. After awhile, I realized that I was getting them too tight and had created a BAD HABIT. Each time I switched blades, I was getting them tighter and tighter each time.

Then, I started flying CP helis and guess what? You CANNOT tighten the blades passed the "perfect point" or the CP heli will vibrate itself apart, lose tracking, and refuse to hover smooth and level.

Now that you've brought this up, I was still running my blades too tight back when I was getting some TBE on the V200D01. So, you might be right on the money. There are certainly other factors that can cause TBE, as discussed. None the less, blade tightness should be added to the list of things to check when experiencing TBE. Not only is it logical, but your findings support it.

Good job Dsobbe! .. as always!
HeliGriff is online now Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Last edited by HeliGriff; Aug 18, 2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:30 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,337 Posts
TBE- Part Three

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
That's an excellent observation!... Not only is it logical, but your findings support it.

Good job Dsobbe! .. as always!
Just to add to the topic, an FP heli's headspeed (RPM's) are constantly going up and down. Eventhough the blades are small, you still experience lead and lag whenever the throttle is increased or reduced.

I've always found it troubling that the 1000mAh and 1200mAh batteries have a tendacy to surge on the V200D01, constantly increasing and decreasing the RPM's. When the blades are too tight, they cannot lag when RPM's go up, or lead when RPM's fall.

If the blades are unable to lead or lag, what happens? The heli changes position instead! Another good argument for tight blades affecting TBE.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:27 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,337 Posts
Video glasses

this is my first attempt at using video glasses. Sorry guys, but I wasn't aware that a person needs to keep the heli at the top of his/her view, through the glasses. The lens is at eyebrow level, not pupil level. I also see that bright blue sky isn't the best background unless the sun is shining directly on the heli. There were trees behind me that put the heli in a shadow. Quality is not great, but I didn't expect it to be any better for only $37. It's good enough.

VideoGlasses_0001.wmv (1 min 12 sec)

I'll get some practice recording and make some more!

P.S. My realplayer decided that it doesn't work anymore. So i had to use Windows Media Player. I think it drops about every other frame out. I need a good video program to download!! Suggestions?
Last edited by HeliGriff; Aug 23, 2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:03 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
this is my first attempt at using video glasses. Sorry guys, but I wasn't aware that a person needs to keep the heli at the top of his/her view, through the glasses. The lens is at eyebrow level, not pupil level. I also see that bright blue sky isn't the best background unless the sun is shining directly on the heli. There were trees behind me that put the heli in a shadow. Quality is not great, but I didn't expect it to be any better for only $37. It's good enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgapTggjOpI

P.S. My realplayer decided that it doesn't work anymore. So i had to use Windows Media Player. I think it drops about every other frame out. I need a good video program to download!! Suggestions?
The free DIXV Converter works OK for converting AVI to small HD uploads for youtube. Just visit DIVX.com and DL the free stuff. After the trial period expires you can still convert to HD format, but other formats are locked out. You can edit with "virtualdub if you like before conversion. Another programe is "Imtoo Video Converter" but its not free like others. Those video glasses work best out of direct sunlight, so indoors or on overcast days will give the best results. When you place your heli for take off you should walk a few metres away to keep it in shot.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:08 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,021 Posts
Quote:
this is my first attempt at using video glasses.

I need a good video program to download!! Suggestions?
Whew. You are bold flying with those poles and wires around!

There is no adjustment to line up the camera aperture with your natural line of sight? That was my problem with 'hatcam rev 1' ,so I gave up trying to guess ,and went to glasses cam, and with a little experimenting I now know just how to mount the spycam on the side of the frame of the sunglasses to match my natural line of sight -- no more worrying about it, just flying.

As to video programs, if you don't need extensive editing, just maybe clipping the ends, and then converting for flv or wmv, then whoever turned me on to this did me a big favor -- it is simple and works great. You may have to poke around if you need more advanced features, like being sure it keeps native high resolution (you have to find the little gear thingie and do some selections), but in general I found this to be easy, fast and free. Hard to fault that, eh?

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:28 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
The free DIXV Converter works OK for converting AVI to small HD uploads for youtube. Just visit DIVX.com and DL the free stuff. After the trial period expires you can still convert to HD format, but other formats are locked out. You can edit with "virtualdub if you like before conversion. Another programe is "Imtoo Video Converter" but its not free like others. Those video glasses work best out of direct sunlight, so indoors or on overcast days will give the best results. When you place your heli for take off you should walk a few metres away to keep it in shot.

Mick
Thanks Mick! I never tried this before.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:38 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Whew. You are bold flying with those poles and wires around!

There is no adjustment to line up the camera aperture with your natural line of sight? That was my problem with 'hatcam rev 1' ,so I gave up trying to guess ,and went to glasses cam, and with a little experimenting I now know just how to mount the spycam on the side of the frame of the sunglasses to match my natural line of sight -- no more worrying about it, just flying.

As to video programs, if you don't need extensive editing, just maybe clipping the ends, and then converting for flv or wmv, then whoever turned me on to this did me a big favor -- it is simple and works great. You may have to poke around if you need more advanced features, like being sure it keeps native high resolution (you have to find the little gear thingie and do some selections), but in general I found this to be easy, fast and free. Hard to fault that, eh?

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
Thanks Noob! Yeah, the side street doesn't have much traffic, but does have a lot of wires, tree limbs, poles, cars, and golf carts galore! (resort area). That's why I take the 450 to the airport. But the Lil' V200 is perfect for wiggling around the obsticles. One of my favorite paths is above my car but under the wires, up the street, around the neighbor's mini-lighthouse, back and over the wife's car, around the blue spruce, and a nose-in approach to the driveway. ..and now you know why I'm so frustrated when the 450 doesn't go where I want it to go!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:26 AM
Joined Nov 2010
793 Posts
Check this also http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software.htm

"New Free Studio Manager is a completely redesigned all-in-one package for our programs. It contains 8 sections to bundle all free multimedia applications which have been developed by DVDVideoSoft. These sections the following: YouTube, MP3&Audio, CD-DVD-BD, DVD&Video, Photo&Images, Mobiles, Apple Devices, 3D. Thus all the programs are included in the new interface for easy access to any of them."
alexaglob is offline Find More Posts by alexaglob
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:06 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,033 Posts
Uploading videos to Utube is new to me. I've only uploaded one and it took 10 minutes to upload a 14 second video. Do any of these converters make it possible to upload faster?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:31 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
Uploading videos to Utube is new to me. I've only uploaded one and it took 10 minutes to upload a 14 second video. Do any of these converters make it possible to upload faster?
That time is a function of the combination of the resolution you chose (file size) and also your own internet connection speed for upload. For instance, I am on ADSL, and the A is for asymmetric. It's possible to have download rates of 5 Meg, but only 200K upload capability. So, it can take me 30 minutes to an hour to upload a five minute video in reasonable (480p) quality. Just be prepared to do it in the background when you have other things to do.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:43 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
So, it can take me 30 minutes to an hour to upload a five minute video in reasonable (480p) quality. Just be prepared to do it in the background when you have other things to do.
Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that. So, I added "Don't upload Gone With the Wind to Utube" under "Don't buy green bananas" on my list of things not to do after your 70th birthday.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:46 AM
Joined Nov 2010
921 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgapTggjOpI

Nice flying HeliGriff! On my good days I've got some good control like that, but on others I NEED the big open field for it to run off safely

Btw, you could trace an aiming pattern on the lens my video glasses to help keep the heli in the frame. It would appear kinda like a shadow when you're focusing on the heli but roughly there - pretty similar to the visual effect a rear sight of a rifle would create.
nese is online now Find More Posts by nese
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:09 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
Nice flying HeliGriff! On my good days I've got some good control like that, but on others I NEED the big open field for it to run off safely

Btw, you could trace an aiming pattern on the lens my video glasses to help keep the heli in the frame. It would appear kinda like a shadow when you're focusing on the heli but roughly there - pretty similar to the visual effect a rear sight of a rifle would create.
Thanks! I wasn't really concentrating on the flying much.

Your suggestion is exactly what I thought about doing, sighting the glasses in like I did my full-auto, 20 rounds-per-second, nitro powered, paintball gun! Now that's fun!

I have wash-out pencils that will mark, then wash-off with water. I'll make some reference marks that I can remove later.
Last edited by HeliGriff; Aug 23, 2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:50 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,337 Posts
Testing Youtube links

PICT0001 (1 min 12 sec)

The direct upload from Freemake is a little better quality than Windows or RealPlayer. It's super easy to use too. Thanks TrackNoob!
Last edited by HeliGriff; Aug 23, 2011 at 10:56 AM.