SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by HeliGriff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:24 PM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,404 Posts
Battery Charging

Some of y'all have inquired about volt/amp settings for the iCharger. So, I'll share what I'm doing. But first, this commercial message..

The BEST place to go for EVERYTHING you need to know about charging LiPo's is
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

The iCharger will detect the number of cells (2S) and the mAh (1000mAh) and the voltage (7.4V) automatically. It will also suggest a charge rate in Amperage (2.0A). However, the 2.0 amperage rate is a default and it may be too high for your 1000mAh battery.

So, what should you set your Amperage to?
* You can charge 1A per every 1000mAh capacity. If your battery has a discharge rate of 20C or higher, you can bump it to 2.0A. Example, my 2S 1200mAh 25C battery can be charged at 2.0A; not because of the 1200mAh, but because of the 25C rating.

What kind of charge should I do, Balance, Normal, Fast, Discharge?
* Doing a Balance Charge each time is a good practice to get into. However, on the weekends, when I want to recharge all six batteries and get back out there fast, I'll do a Normal Charge or a Fast Charge. You don't have to do a Balance Charge every time. In fact, EVERY OTHER charge is plenty. Some folks will go 5 to 10 times between a Balancing Charge, but that could shorten the battery's life. *You should ALWAYS place the batteries in Lipo bags, or some other fire-resistant container during a charge and monitor the entire charge.

How long does it take?
* A Balance Charge will take about an hour, as before. The difference is that you can do SIX batteries at once, within that same hour. Normal Charge cuts the time down to about 38 minutes. Fast Charge delivers in under 15 minutes. As for Discharge.. I let the Heli do that for me while I'm flying.

..and there you have it!
HeliGriff is online now Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Last edited by HeliGriff; Aug 02, 2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: revised
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2011, 07:57 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,404 Posts
V200D01 Video Camera Mount.. IDEA!

Well, my camera hasn't arrived yet. Here's my idea for mounting it.

Since I did the Battery Mod, I don't use the battery door on the bottom side. I'll put some mounting tape on it with a zip-tie safety strap.

As the heli lifts-off, the camera will swing into head-forward position. I may need a "stop" so that it doesn't swing back and forth. Upon landing, the camera will swing up between the skids.

It's still a theory, but I think it will work. Below is a simulation video. Yes, I used a Flash Drive to replicate a camera since mine isn't here yet!

2011 08 02 19 29 23 661 (0 min 31 sec)

Wish me luck!
Last edited by HeliGriff; Aug 02, 2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: sp
Old Aug 03, 2011, 06:28 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,074 Posts
I think Tangarang used a swing camera rig. You can check with him. As I recall it worked pretty well.
dsobbe is online now Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:45 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
I think Tangarang used a swing camera rig. You can check with him. As I recall it worked pretty well.
Tangarang.. Wow, I haven't talked to him in months! I'll have to track him down. -Thanks!
Old Aug 04, 2011, 09:24 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,074 Posts
I've just started fooling around with uploading videos. Maybe you can give me some pointers.
I have DSL internet service and a fairly fast computer/processor. Video uploads to YouTube seem very slow. Typically, a 14 second video takes about 10 minutes. Is that typical? Is there a better, faster, way to do this?
Old Aug 04, 2011, 01:14 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,404 Posts
Yeah, that's normal sometimes. The DSL is plenty fast. YouTube just gets bogged down. It may be converting your format as it uploads.
Old Aug 04, 2011, 03:28 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Good news!.. I've drastically cut down on stripped gears by getting them positioned in the right places! (Plus, as I get better at flying, I don't crash as much.) I rarely ever damage a tail gear, now that I know how to adjust them. In a crash, the main-gear takes the hit, but the tail gears are unharmed. That's a good thing because a main gear can be replaced in 5 minutes (see PHOTOS below)! Hope this helps!!
i remove the battery and unscrew the four small screws located between the battery tray and main chassis, the bottem half is removed and the main gear is accessible. I don't even unhook the receiver anymore.

btw, I've been through 10 tails rotors and 10 mains so far. and a canopy. and a landing geer, and 3 sets of main blades, and tail struts (1 set). I've also had to straighten the head with a pliers (and it isn't very straight) I'm a bit aggressive.
thefirebuilds is offline Find More Posts by thefirebuilds
Old Aug 04, 2011, 03:45 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirebuilds View Post
i remove the battery and unscrew the four small screws located between the battery tray and main chassis, the bottem half is removed and the main gear is accessible. I don't even unhook the receiver anymore.

btw, I've been through 10 tails rotors and 10 mains so far. and a canopy. and a landing geer, and 3 sets of main blades, and tail struts (1 set). I've also had to straighten the head with a pliers (and it isn't very straight) I'm a bit aggressive.
Thanks for stopping by TheFireBuilds,

Try the method under Post #26 titled Main Gears. It's a much faster way to swap-out the maingear.

As far as your parts list.. sounds pretty normal to me! During the six months that I spent learning to fly, I think I replaced the ENTIRE heli, in parts, three times. One day soon you'll fly everyday without crashing!

Happy Flying!
Old Aug 06, 2011, 06:27 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,404 Posts
If you guys and gals have any questions, just post or PM me! I'm always glad to put my two-cents in!

I'm very happy with my V200's! But, I'm pretty much done with my mods & setup on them, for now. I need to spend the next couple months practicing on my 450 so that I can actually FLY the darn thing!

Hope this blog has helped! I'll check it daily.

-HeliGriff
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:20 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,074 Posts
May the Force be with you.
Last edited by dsobbe; Aug 07, 2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:56 PM
I haveno idea what I am doing
United States, SC, Lexington
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
Just not the force of gravity.
2dmatt is offline Find More Posts by 2dmatt
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:16 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,404 Posts
My new past-time! BUG THWACKING!!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:28 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
My new past-time! BUG THWACKING!!
That's why they invented black blades. And bug lights.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:55 PM
Joined Nov 2010
11 Posts
v200d01 counterclockwise rotation

My heli sheared a tail rotor screw which in turn crashed my heli from about 15 ft., i replaced the tail assemble and now it turns horribly counter clockwise when i power it up and when I try to correct this issue via the trans. it won't react to any tail control. Also, the main blades look as though there see sawing when i have the power at 30%, is the gyro totalled? thanks for any help.
walkera47 is offline Find More Posts by walkera47
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:55 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkera47 View Post
My heli sheared a tail rotor screw which in turn crashed my heli from about 15 ft., i replaced the tail assemble and now it turns horribly counter clockwise when i power it up and when I try to correct this issue via the trans. it won't react to any tail control. Also, the main blades look as though there see sawing when i have the power at 30%, is the gyro totalled? thanks for any help.
  • It's likely NOT the gyro. I can help you out!
  • What model of Walkera do you have, a V200D01?
  • Did you also replace the rear tail shaft?
  • Did you replace the Drive Shaft inside the tail?
  • Have you made any changes on RUDD Extend pot on the Receiver?
  • Did you replace the feathering shaft in the rotor-head?

My first thought is to check the Drive Shaft inside the tail boom. They break, but the tail blades will still spin, just not fast enough. The servo may not be centering with the tail steering bracket. Did you maybe change the length of the steering rod?
Last edited by HeliGriff; Aug 12, 2011 at 08:58 PM.