HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by HeliGriff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:59 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
Bad application. That will only work in still air. In moving air the bank angle has to change constantly to compensate for drift. Otherwise the circle will elongate and spiral downwind, away from it's axis.
There are practical uses for D/R, mostly with airplanes. For example, to increase elevator and/or aileron throw for spin control. Or, to preset a roll rate for a rolling maneuver, where wind isn't a factor.
Ultimately, the use of dual rate or exponential is a matter of personal preference.
And the winner is....(drum roll)... Karsten Hoysagk!! Good call!

Thanks Dsobbe! I knew that you would set me straight! My decision to go to No D/R turned out to be okay.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:37 PM
Registered User
United States, OR, Astoria
Joined Feb 2011
1,017 Posts
The weather gods where nice to me and gave me about an hour of dry, yet still windy, weather. I rushed to the field to try those DFC heads. So far so good. I like the looks, the heli feels more responsive and more connected. Although I am still so nervous when I fly that 600. I HAVE to practice more on the sim and stay on those sticks. Talking of sim, I'm trying to start inverted orientations, not to eventually do 3d, just to get better on the controls and to be prepared. As soon as I go inverted the helis just starts getting away from me and it is a struggle to get it back. Not much of a hover training. Anyone have a secret recipe to keep the heli close by so I can actually practice?
khoysagk is offline Find More Posts by khoysagk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:57 PM
Registered User
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
And the winner is....(drum roll)... Karsten Hoysagk!! Good call!

Thanks Dsobbe! I knew that you would set me straight! My decision to go to No D/R turned out to be okay.
For now. But, don't rule out ever using D/R when you find a need. My Baron 60 needed dual aileron rate to perform a roll, but otherwise handled well on low rate .
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:47 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
The weather gods where nice to me and gave me about an hour of dry, yet still windy, weather. I rushed to the field to try those DFC heads. So far so good. I like the looks, the heli feels more responsive and more connected. Although I am still so nervous when I fly that 600. I HAVE to practice more on the sim and stay on those sticks. Talking of sim, I'm trying to start inverted orientations, not to eventually do 3d, just to get better on the controls and to be prepared. As soon as I go inverted the helis just starts getting away from me and it is a struggle to get it back. Not much of a hover training. Anyone have a secret recipe to keep the heli close by so I can actually practice?
Inverted Lessons- here ya go!
Learning inverted hovering - RC heli flight school v1.1 (4 min 12 sec)

I have the whole series bookmarked.

Pointer- I've been doing inverted on the sim too. I just get the forward/back handled first, then side to side. When it starts to get away, pirouette nose to tail and get the forward/back handled again.

Post a photo of that bad boy with the DFC!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:48 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
For now. But, don't rule out ever using D/R when you find a need. My Baron 60 needed dual aileron rate to perform a roll, but otherwise handled well on low rate .
Thanks! For now, I'm happy just to go up, then down, without a crash!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:53 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
My mom's birthday is Sunday. My folks are 88 years old! Flying will have to wait.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:53 PM
Registered User
United States, OR, Astoria
Joined Feb 2011
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Inverted Lessons- here ya go!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giQp-...AF8FCF1401E126
I have the whole series bookmarked.

Pointer- I've been doing inverted on the sim too. I just get the forward/back handled first, then side to side. When it starts to get away, pirouette nose to tail and get the forward/back handled again.

Post a photo of that bad boy with the DFC!
I'm trying it exactly the way he says, the "keeping it there" (@0.41) is the problem. Those are great videos, I have them all in favs too.



khoysagk is offline Find More Posts by khoysagk
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:51 AM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
I'm trying it exactly the way he says, the "keeping it there" (@0.41) is the problem. Those are great videos, I have them all in favs too.
Nice! She's a beaute! The head sure is clean with no Driver/Arms. I wonder what took the industry so long to come up with that? Seems so simple. I'll have to put a DFC on my Wish List, which gets longer and longer all the time.

Sim- the way Phoenix is setup by default, you cannot "just hold" the heli in one spot, no how, no way. Even stationary hovers are tough. The sim 600 is flybarred and flies like one. Remove ALL expo from software and TX. It makes it easier to hold position. The 700 FBL is a little better at position holding.

Beautiful day today here! Perfect for flying. Alas, family festivities have me grounded. I hope all you guys get out to fly today!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:39 AM
Registered User
United States, OR, Astoria
Joined Feb 2011
1,017 Posts
The DFC head also comes with a shorter main shaft, which brings the head down about an inch. If you want I'll take a couple more pics without the canopy and closer. As you know I have the 105mm tail blades on there, so now there is only about an inch of clearance between the main and tail blades
Regarding Phoenix, I chose a more tame bird for now (Thunder Tiger Raptor 30) and it is working better. Also made me think about dual rates again and maybe I'll play with those a little. I also try to keep it at eye level which is a little tougher than what I've been doing in real life. Yesterday's flights have shown me that I got too comfortable doing what I always do, but not really improving on my weak points. Plus I saw a video of someone doing a 3d flight that I actually liked and didn't think "same old, same old". Here it is, I'm sure you guys have seen him on the forums.

Gaui X5 having fun with the power, Danny Lightning (5 min 19 sec)


These two things combined made me want to improve and learn new things so I don't get bored and get more comfortable on the sticks and I can enjoy it more and not be totally exhausted when I get home.
khoysagk is offline Find More Posts by khoysagk
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:29 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
The DFC head also comes with a shorter main shaft, which brings the head down about an inch. If you want I'll take a couple more pics without the canopy and closer. As you know I have the 105mm tail blades on there, so now there is only about an inch of clearance between the main and tail blades

Regarding Phoenix, I chose a more tame bird for now (Thunder Tiger Raptor 30) and it is working better. Also made me think about dual rates again and maybe I'll play with those a little. I also try to keep it at eye level which is a little tougher than what I've been doing in real life. Yesterday's flights have shown me that I got too comfortable doing what I always do, but not really improving on my weak points. ... made me want to improve and learn new things so I don't get bored and get more comfortable on the sticks and I can enjoy it more and not be totally exhausted when I get home.
You may want to go back to the 95's! That is close! I had a main blade hit a tail blade on my V200. It wasn't pretty.

Dsobbe gave me great advice. He told me to practice landing in the same exact spot each time. Turn on a crosswind to match my area. Make turns without climbing or falling in altitude. Learn to fly at a realistic speeds. Shoot approach landings, not tail-in plops. Well, that's ALL that I practice and practice and practice!

At first, I was lucky to hit the 15 foot Precision target in Phoenix. As I got better, I increased skill level (roll rates) to 80%. I reduced DR's until there were none. I reduced Expo until there is none. I increased rpm's until I reached 2200. Now, I can land within 1/4 of the inner circle on every landing and from any direction!

Karsten, you are 1000% better pilot than I am at flying the 'real' T-Rex 600efl heli because you actually "fly the real heli". I can do cool stuff on the sim because I have been flying the sim exclusively for the past 6 months. I envy your ability to do it for real! It will only take you a very short time to build your skills even more. I think you are doing yourself a HUGE favor by expanding horizons! This will be a cake-walk for ya!

I can't wait to catch up to the level that you are today and for YOU to get even better! It will motivate me to get off the sim and get going on the real bird! Best of luck!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Last edited by HeliGriff; Apr 01, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:00 PM
Registered User
United States, OR, Astoria
Joined Feb 2011
1,017 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement Russ. Learning the inverted orientations feels like I am a beginner again and reminds me of the time where I couldn't wait to actually fly and my impatience often got the best of me. I'm trying to be better this time around and when I get impatient I will just do what I already know. Also I think I need to crash the 600 to stop being so nervous. It's like driving a new car. You're really careful until you get that first scratch in the paint, then everything is easier.
Here are a couple more close-ups of the DFC head. What does DFC stand for btw?



khoysagk is offline Find More Posts by khoysagk
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:16 AM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
Thanks for the encouragement Russ. Learning the inverted orientations feels like I am a beginner again and reminds me of the time where I couldn't wait to actually fly and my impatience often got the best of me. I'm trying to be better this time around and when I get impatient I will just do what I already know. Also I think I need to crash the 600 to stop being so nervous. It's like driving a new car. You're really careful until you get that first scratch in the paint, then everything is easier.
Here are a couple more close-ups of the DFC head. What does DFC stand for btw?
Great pics! No crashing! Just more Sim time, pleez.

Did you need to swap out the servo-to-swash links?

Are you running mag mounts at all four points?

DFC means Direct Flight Control.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Last edited by HeliGriff; Apr 02, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:48 AM
Registered User
United States, OR, Astoria
Joined Feb 2011
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Great pics! No crashing! Just more Sim time, pleez.

Did you need to swap out the servo-to-swash links?

Are you running mag mounts at all four points?

DFC means Direct Flight Control.
Trust me I don't want to crash. I am just always afraid that I will. I don't have that feeling when I fly the 500.
No need to swap out anything but the parts that come with the Direct Flight Control head
I do have mag mounts on all four points, but I will switch the upper ones to the HeliOption quick change mounts. I've read too many stories about people having their canopies come off in flight. Granted they were 3d maneuvers but why not eliminate the risk.
khoysagk is offline Find More Posts by khoysagk
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:48 AM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
Trust me I don't want to crash. I am just always afraid that I will. I don't have that feeling when I fly the 500.
No need to swap out anything but the parts that come with the Direct Flight Control head
I do have mag mounts on all four points, but I will switch the upper ones to the HeliOption quick change mounts. I've read too many stories about people having their canopies come off in flight. Granted they were 3d maneuvers but why not eliminate the risk.
Nice. I may do HeliOption on the top and Quick UK on the front, or vice versa. Pure magnets scare me. The HeliOption looks good because it inserts into the mount. There's no way it would come off on it's own.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:50 AM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Nice. I may do HeliOption on the top and Quick UK on the front, or vice versa. Pure magnets scare me. The HeliOption looks good because it inserts into the mount. There's no way it would come off on it's own.
On another note.. I put vascaline on the stock rubber canopy grommets and they work fantastic!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Self-Righting Airplanes Don't Teach Newbies To Fly Tepid Pilot Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 87 Oct 01, 2010 10:19 AM
Discussion Just an Idea that may help with some many questions from Newbies Ben Morrow Batteries and Chargers 4 Sep 29, 2010 01:46 PM
Discussion Newbies guide to picking motors. NoFlyZone Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 4 Sep 23, 2010 10:54 AM
Discussion Newbies Need Help, Kentucky Fried ESC catscratch Electric Plane Talk 22 Sep 19, 2010 09:09 PM