HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by HeliGriff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:34 PM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,409 Posts
I'm running 3.50.20, not version V4 Beta. ..should be okay. Thanks for the warning about it! Loss of power isn't good at all!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:39 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,409 Posts
Ready!

The heli is 100% back together and ready to fly! I'll charge the batts and pack the flight bag!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:35 AM
United States, OR, Astoria
Joined Feb 2011
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
I'm running 3.50.20, not version V4 Beta. ..should be okay. Thanks for the warning about it! Loss of power isn't good at all!
3.50.20 is the castle link software on your computer, v4 beta is the firmware running on your ESC! Hook up your ESC to your computer and under the software tab (in castle link) check the firmware. The latest stable firmware was v3.27 and it was followed by v4 beta.
khoysagk is online now Find More Posts by khoysagk
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:12 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,052 Posts
Weather

6.62 inches of rain here this month. One more inch and it will be the most rain ever recorded in March in this area.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:51 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
6.62 inches of rain here this month. One more inch and it will be the most rain ever recorded in March in this area.
The weather can be a torment. The wind is wearing me down at the moment. Last weekend I only got to fly a glider successfully. I sent a smaller Autogyro up out of frustration and got blown over backwards. So (me not taking the hint) sent a larger autogyro up, with which I managed to fight out a few circuits before a rough landing. During the week I'm driving alongside a glassy river, no wind. Then the weekend comes and its blowing 30km/hr by 930am. I've got a T-45 GOSHAWK ready for maiden, and my GAUI550 ready for test flight following repair. My helicopters have been grounded for weeks arrg!!

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,052 Posts
Don't get me going on wind. I live on the coast so it's always windy here. Sometimes more, sometimes less. My bigger helis usually handle it ok but I have a plane that I have never really flown at my field. Plus no matter how "calm" it is for some reason it's always more windy at the field. Maybe I should move to California just so I can fly more, lol.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:33 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,409 Posts
Wind. What's wind?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:52 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,409 Posts
T-Rex 600 EFL Build Tip: Head Assembly

When you buy an Align Kit, the factory kind of.. sort of.. assembles some key components for you, such as: the head, tail, and transmission assemblies. However, be aware that not all the parts may be in order.

Such is the case of the head, feathering shaft, raceways, thrust bearings, washers, shims, and bolts. All of these parts were pre-assembled, but not in the correct order. Align instructs you to disassemble these components to properly lube and threadlock. They assume that you will refer to the manual to re-assemble them in the correct order. In my case, I layed each part on the mat in the order of disassembly. Upon re-assembly I put them back in the same order as they came out. Wrong! The thrust bearing and raceways were out of order which lead to an eventual vibration.

All things work out for the best. After experiencing a tip-over on the ground, I replaced a gear and blades. Seeing the vibration, I decided to replaced the main, tail, and feathering shaft. That's when I began to question why both grips did not swival equally. One rotated freely while the other did not. After consulting FNFAL, it was discovered that my assembly order was not correct.

She's all back together and everything seems fine now. I hope to get airborne this weekend and test the results! Again, I have to thank FNFAL for his expertise.

Happy Flying!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,052 Posts
Russ, keep an eye on the thrust bearings in your grips too. I just checked mine and the races are already pretty worn, after only 4 months of ownership and not having flown it that much
Also did you see my explanation of the firmware version vs. the software version?
Just trying to help you avoid another crash. I reverted the firmware on my castle ESC back to v3.27 for now.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:08 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,409 Posts
Quote:
Russ, keep an eye on the thrust bearings in your grips too. I just checked mine and the races are already pretty worn, after only 4 months of ownership and not having flown it that much
Also did you see my explanation of the firmware version vs. the software version?
Just trying to help you avoid another crash. I reverted the firmware on my castle ESC back to v3.27 for now.
Thanks! I'll pick up some spare thrust bearings to have on hand.

Yes and no. I read your post but missed the difference. I thought that Castle Link 3.50.20 was the update. Therefore, I'm not sure what firmware version I am running. It also makes me wonder how to get version X in the future.

I'll check that out tonight. Where does Castle bury the firmware updates?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:10 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,409 Posts
Quote:
3.50.20 is the castle link software on your computer, v4 beta is the firmware running on your ESC! Hook up your ESC to your computer and under the software tab (in castle link) check the firmware. The latest stable firmware was v3.27 and it was followed by v4 beta.
Oh.. this post! No, I just now saw it. Thank you!!!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:40 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Oh.. this post! No, I just now saw it. Thank you!!!
Okay, I remember now. When I loaded 3.50.2, it popped up a message that a firmware update was available. Knowing me, I chose it. I'll check it when I get back home. If V4, I'll roll back to 3.27.

I sure am thankful that you guys are watching out for me!!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,052 Posts
We're watching out for each other. It always hurts when someone crashes their heli. If you crash yours it hurts me almost as much as if I crash my own.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:17 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,409 Posts
Quote:
We're watching out for each other. It always hurts when someone crashes their heli. If you crash yours it hurts me almost as much as if I crash my own.
Ahhh.. that's so sweet! I mean.. You rock, dude! Watchin' your back!

I'm just teasing. I really do appreciate the support network that we have going on here. We've all had that sick feeling after a crash. You are so right, it makes me cringe when someone posts that they crashed. We all have time invested in one another's heli, even if it's just because we follow the blog your Youtube channel. So yeah, it does affect all of us. Great point, Karsten!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:51 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,409 Posts
Quote:
Funny, Castle released a new Software version 3.51.05 today. Maybe the problem was caused by the software. Anyway, I rolled back to Firmware 3.27 until they sort it out.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one, Karsten! Let us know if hear that Castle releases a fix. We'll do likewise.

Good stuff!