Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by HeliGriff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, OR, Astoria
Joined Feb 2011
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTstrudl View Post
Haha, my plywood heli pad for V120 is FOUR times bigger than yours.
That's funny. I would have liked mine a little bigger, but chose the middle between size for the heli and being able to move and transport it.
khoysagk is online now Find More Posts by khoysagk
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
That's funny. I would have liked mine a little bigger, but chose the middle between size for the heli and being able to move and transport it.
I don't have a truck, otherwise I might had worked on the back of truck in the field.
I have used heli pad just like beach or picnic towel, and put everything on the top. It's always nice to kneel down on a dry and flat surface to bind heli. Drill two holes on plywood and put a string around for easy carrying.
GTstrudl is offline Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,017 Posts
If your pad really is four times bigger than mine how do you fit it in your car? My pad is 3x4 feet.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Oct 2011
899 Posts
Woop, talking about visual illution. My pad is about the same size as yours. We all figure what an optimum size should be.
Rephrase: My plywood heli pad for V120 is look like FOUR times bigger than yours.
Last edited by GTstrudl; Mar 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:41 PM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Woop, talking about visual illution. My pad is about the same size as yours. We all figure what an optimum size should be.
Rephrase: My plywood heli pad for V120 is look like FOUR times bigger than yours.
Dsobbe's pad was 9 inches by 9 inches when he was on the competition team for AMA. He only had to hit it 10 out of 10 times. Now that is impressive!
HeliGriff is online now Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Dsobbe's pad was 9 inches by 9 inches when he was on the competition team for AMA. He only had to hit it 10 out of 10 times. Now that is impressive!
That depends on how big, or should I say how small the heli was, lol.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:21 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
That depends on how big, or should I say how small the heli was, lol.
Back in the day, we're talking 500-700 size most likely. I'll have to ask him. Micro & Mini class helis came later. I believe they were all Hobby Class to start with.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:43 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Majoring the 600!

I have all the servos pulled. I'll be replacing a gear set in the Elev servo this week. While I was there, I replaced some servo connector-ends that got a little scuffed-up from plier-grips during the initial build. They are fragile! Also, one of the servo wires had gotten nipped, so I repaired it with tiny shrink tube.

This little break allowed me to tear down the head and grease the thrust bearings. I'm sure that I did it on 'Day One- page one' of the build, but I couldn't recall 100%. So, now it's done for sure.

I ordered a main shaft and now I'll have a spare to balance the head properly in the Dubro. I'm excited about that because I know how important it is for the balance to be 100% accurate. The same goes for the tail blades and hub assembly, which I will also balance this week.

I should be back in the air Saturday or Sunday depending on the weather. I'll be flying a little higher roll rates and lower expos. If this bird is anything like the sim, I have much smoother control when it's set to be more agile. As Dsobbe says, "lean on the sticks, don't throw 'em!"
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:22 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
If your inclined to order the main shaft Griff, have your thought to replace the feathering shaft as they are the first to bend with any blade damage on a CP heli. If you remove the blades and turn one end of the feathering shaft with a socket you may see some up/down on the other end blade grip. You can also roll them on a flat surface. Anyways if I have a blade breakage I've found the feather shaft is the most likely source of vibration. After my last GAUI crash I ordered Main, Feathering, and Tail shaft and changed them all out for very little expense. Looking at the parts I removed, the feathering shaft was the only confirmed bend.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:27 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
If your inclined to order the main shaft Griff, have your thought to replace the feathering shaft as they are the first to bend with any blade damage on a CP heli. If you remove the blades and turn one end of the feathering shaft with a socket you may see some up/down on the other end blade grip. You can also roll them on a flat surface. Anyways if I have a blade breakage I've found the feather shaft is the most likely source of vibration. After my last GAUI crash I ordered Main, Feathering, and Tail shaft and changed them all out for very little expense. Looking at the parts I removed, the feathering shaft was the only confirmed bend.

Mick
I'm with ya Mate! Actually, I ordered a main, feathering, tail, and a torque shaft. I figured that I may as well get them all since I was placing an order.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:03 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,022 Posts
Ok. Here's some more standardized non-standard nomenclature. Is a "head lock" gyro a "heading hold" gyro?

And, the Dynam gy192 a piezo gyro?

Thanks
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Oct 2011
899 Posts
HeliGriff,

I know you don't have ER450 anymore, but I remember you said to set RUDD to 3:00 for a solid rock tail. I've achieved that goal once by using original TX and stock tail servo. But stock tail servos would burn out very quickly, same as EXI metal servo. Tail servo would become very hot even on bench test as long as V1 set over 1:00. Did you have similar situation back then?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:50 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
Ok. Here's some more standardized non-standard nomenclature. Is a "head lock" gyro a "heading hold" gyro?

Thanks
Sorry guys, I've been busy..

Head lock = capable of head hold mode (fast enough).
Head hold = a TX and/or Servo 'mode' for which to operate the servo.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:59 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
HeliGriff,

I know you don't have ER450 anymore, but I remember you said to set RUDD to 3:00 for a solid rock tail. I've achieved that goal once by using original TX and stock tail servo. But stock tail servos would burn out very quickly, same as EXI metal servo. Tail servo would become very hot even on bench test as long as V1 set over 1:00. Did you have similar situation back then?
Actually, I answered your same question on the Razor450 blog. Your travel limits are set too far. The servo is trying to push the tail bearing beyond its physical ability. Therefore, the servo burns up. The servo's travel range is adjusted on the Gyro itself, if you have a GY48 gyro (see manual). The GY192 does not have any travel adjustment, nor does the original TX. If you are running a DX6i or compatible "computerized" TX, reduce the endpoints on Channel 6 (rudder servo) until the there is no more binding on the tail rudder. Also, be sure that your servos are set to analog, not digital, unless you are using digital servos.

The 3:00 setting has nothing to do with travel, only gyro sensitivity.

..and there ya have it!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:00 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post

Thanks
Oh yeah.. GY192 are Piezos. For $12 you don't get MEMS gyros.