HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by HeliGriff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:49 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
I have successfully stolen another Dsobbe idea, the Skid Plate!
Sounds like I better check my wallet!
It's always good to know someone else can benefit from my tinkering. And, I like the way you used velcro to safety the connectors. Good idea.
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:09 PM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
Sounds like I better check my wallet!
It's always good to know someone else can benefit from my tinkering. And, I like the way you used velcro to safety the connectors. Good idea.
Those skid plates sure make the 600's rubber protectors look clunky. i'll be making a set for it too.

Anyone ever heard of Hobbico? They own the brands below. Well, they just became the primary sponsor of our event, Warbirds Over Port Clinton, August 24/25th!
HeliGriff is online now Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Last edited by HeliGriff; Feb 12, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:31 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
900 Posts
Quote:

Anyone ever heard of Hobbico? They own the brands below. Well, they just became the primary sponsor of our event, Warbirds Over Port Clinton, August 24/25th!
I think both Hobbico and Tower Hobbies were founded by the same person, Bruce Holecek in 1971. These two brand names are well known by all plank flyers in US. I am still trying to figure out the die-hard hobbies ratio between fix-wing vs heli, but my rough and no bases estimate stands 20 to 1.
GTstrudl is online now Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:21 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,022 Posts
Hi Tracknoob,

Here's a link to a simple, free, full size print-it-yourself Blade 130X canopy.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=492585

The author prints them on clear plastic which looks very good, but involves a little work and minor expense. I modified those methods by printing the canopy on printer paper and then laminating a second sheet of paper on the back side, using a glue stick, to make it stronger and give it a degree of ridgidity close to plastic. Instead of grommets I just put a small piece of clear shiny Scotch Tape over each side the canopy mounting holes, which provide a secure and strong grip. The nose is sealed with RTV.
Ok. It isn't sexy looking. But, it's cheap, fast, easy and you can have any color you want, any time you want. And, you can even use them as napkins or Kleenex. Try that with a $12 Blade canopy!
Here's one I made, adding a chin scoop to mute the duck bill appearance.
Hey! We could make matching canopies and fly formation 3D inside Russ's $$$ Trekker canopy at his air show. Waddya tink, Russ?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:14 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Hey! We could make matching canopies and fly formation 3D inside Russ's $$$ Trekker canopy at his air show. Waddya tink, Russ?
I think that is a stupendous idea! I'll start hanging high-bay lights and roll some bleachers into the Trekker Canopy Coliseum. $10 a head to offset the $$$

Speaking of.. the graphics lady asked if I was in a hurry. I said "Heck no! I'm still a thousand bucks away from having this project done!"
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:18 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTstrudl View Post
I think both Hobbico and Tower Hobbies were founded by the same person, Bruce Holecek in 1971. These two brand names are well known by all plank flyers in US. I am still trying to figure out the die-hard hobbies ratio between fix-wing vs heli, but my rough and no bases estimate stands 20 to 1.
You are probably correct as fixed wing models has been around since the 1930's. However, vendors have told us that helicopters are the hot ticket in the RC industry because of high profit PARTS sales. Gee, who would have guessed that? Also, we've been told to always include a compliment of helicopters in ALL of our RC events, regardless of the theme, in order to attract spectators, sponsorships, and vendors. No helis = no participation. I can tell you from experience, this rule also includes turbine jets. Last year, the crowd stuck around all day to see the jets fly! They are the most impressive thing I've seen in RC. 3D heli flying doesn't even compare to a jet screaming over your head and going verticle. If I had the money, I'd own one. ..not gonna happen.

Thanks to LiPo batteries and 3-axis gyros, the helicopter has now become something a novice can buy-n-fly.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:27 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Hi Tracknoob,

Here's a link to a simple, free, full size print-it-yourself Blade 130X canopy.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=492585
Ya know.. this would look super cool in a carbon fiber print, all black heli. It would look stealthy.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Ya know.. this would look super cool in a carbon fiber print, all black heli. It would look stealthy.
It would be stealthy. In the evening you could here it crash, but not know where. Super cool. Stealthy!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:27 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
It would be stealthy. In the evening you could here it crash, but not know where. Super cool. Stealthy!
That's nothin'. I did that in broad daylight, middle of the afternoon, with a bright yellow, blue, red, and white heli that's over four feet long! ..was missing for 3 weeks!

Trekker packed away for a few days until the new gears get here. That's a good thing because I actually have to get some real "work" kinda' work done, at work.
Last edited by HeliGriff; Feb 13, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:26 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
900 Posts
Quote:
You are probably correct as fixed wing models has been around since the 1930's. However, vendors have told us that helicopters are the hot ticket in the RC industry because of high profit PARTS sales. Gee, who would have guessed that? Also, we've been told to always include a compliment of helicopters in ALL of our RC events, regardless of the theme, in order to attract spectators, sponsorships, and vendors. No helis = no participation. I can tell you from experience, this rule also includes turbine jets. Last year, the crowd stuck around all day to see the jets fly! They are the most impressive thing I've seen in RC. 3D heli flying doesn't even compare to a jet screaming over your head and going verticle. If I had the money, I'd own one. ..not gonna happen.

Thanks to LiPo batteries and 3-axis gyros, the helicopter has now become something a novice can buy-n-fly.
I also bet that the drop off rate between heli and plank flyers is 20 to 1.
GTstrudl is online now Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:05 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTstrudl View Post
I also bet that the drop off rate between heli and plank flyers is 20 to 1.
Probably much higher. I read a statistic that stated "50% of all RC helis sold are flown once, crashed within seconds of take-off, and are never flown again."

I can believe that! I've crashed a few on maiden-day myself. I can't even count how many times I rebuilt my V200D01's and crashed the very first flight, after the repair, and had to order the parts all over again. Every Saturday, I ordered more parts.

If I didn't love the hobby so much, I would have walked away one of many-dozen times. I've tossed helis into the dumpster at work, only to go retrieve them after an hour and repair them. I know of one that made it all the way to the landfill and is still there today!

Knowledge is power. Now, when I do something stupid like fly through a pine tree, I just shake my head and ask myself "Why did you do that?" I don't get mad anymore because I know that I CAN fly, most of the time. It just takes persistence. I actually chuckled to myself when the pine tree spit out my brand new T-Rex 450. I thought "It's a d### good thing that I'm not someone's surgeon!" Sometimes you just have to keep things in perspective. ..that coming from a guy who is building a heli that cost as much as his car is worth. gotta love it!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:16 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Last "size" shot for awhile. I dug out the 450 to refresh my memory on the wiring. I couldn't resist a photo op with the Trekker.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:18 PM
United States, AR, Springdale
Joined Aug 2012
338 Posts
Quote:
Last "size" shot for awhile. I dug out the 450 to refresh my memory on the wiring. I couldn't resist a photo op with the Trekker.
What are the red and blue wires at the top of the battery mount on the 450?
Rweston is offline Find More Posts by Rweston
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:29 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rweston View Post
What are the red and blue wires at the top of the battery mount on the 450?
I have two of the three motor wires unplugged. I just stuck them up to get them out of the way.