HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by HeliGriff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:56 AM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
It's like waiting for Santa, isn't it?..

Still, I could not resist packing up and going to the field anyway, just in case conditions allowed a flight...

So I maidened it this morning with just some *very* gentle tail-in hovering..
Best of all, it was an incident-free maiden, ...

Vidoe uploading to youtube now, I'll post a link when it's done.
Yes, it's tearing me up not being able to finish it! Then again, it's supposed to be a WINTER project, not a WEEK-long project. I really think that I could build another one in a day. Align actually pre-assembles everything for you. All you do is add Locktite & grease.

I can't begin to tell you how HEAVY the motor and head assembly is!! You'd have to experience it yourself. But, we are talking POUNDS, not grams or ounces.

The important thing is that you DID fly today.. had a MAIDEN.. and came back in ONE piece! WooHoo! Actually, it is good to fly in the wind for the experience. Although, my WINDY days have claimed a heli or two.

Looking forward to seeing the Vid. Too bad I don't live in the south.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:24 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Yes, it's tearing me up not being able to finish it! Then again, it's supposed to be a WINTER project, not a WEEK-long project. I really think that I could build another one in a day. Align actually pre-assembles everything for you. All you do is add Locktite & grease.

I can't begin to tell you how HEAVY the motor and head assembly is!! You'd have to experience it yourself. But, we are talking POUNDS, not grams or ounces.

The important thing is that you DID fly today.. had a MAIDEN.. and came back in ONE piece! WooHoo! Actually, it is good to fly in the wind for the experience. Although, my WINDY days have claimed a heli or two.

Looking forward to seeing the Vid. Too bad I don't live in the south.
heh heh

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about it being a 'winter project' and how far you have already came on it... something tells me with that radio gear in, and everything set-up... maybe someone could find time sneak out to the hanger or a field, even on the coldest of days just to do a little check out... I know that would be hard to resist, if the heli was ready!

Here the video is! Seems to have gotten much darker during youtube conversion; not that the lighting was optimal anyway. As always, Hi rez & full screen is the way to go, even though it is 'functionally' a totally boring vid for others to watch. I am so happy it went so smoothly! Next outing we will move it around a bit more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoL2x...ature=youtu.be
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Nov 19, 2011, 02:57 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
heh heh

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about it being a 'winter project' and how far you have already came on it... something tells me with that radio gear in, and everything set-up... maybe someone could find time sneak out to the hanger or a field, even on the coldest of days just to do a little check out... I know that would be hard to resist, if the heli was ready!

Here the video is! Seems to have gotten much darker during youtube conversion; not that the lighting was optimal anyway. As always, Hi rez & full screen is the way to go, even though it is 'functionally' a totally boring vid for others to watch. I am so happy it went so smoothly! Next outing we will move it around a bit more.
Another nice video, TrackNoob! I enjoy the commentary! She is very stable and the blades have a nice sound to them as well. Wouldn't it be nice if all your helis flew like that one! Question, "K.O. and Gyro.." what's KO?

Not ever have flown a 550 size heli yet, I cannot say for sure.. but I think the raw size of her provides a great deal of stabilization and wind resistance. When you add the benefits of FBL gyro-stabilzation and place it in a well designed airframe, you have a real winner with the Gaui X5! Impressive!

I'm hoping to experience similar results with the 600. I've watched videos of guys who intentionally take their 600's out into severely windy conditions just to show-off the heli's ability to be stable.

Yeah.. the build will go quickly when the peripherals get here. The learning curve for the TX will be what slows-down the project, before maiden. Remember, I have limited experience with analog TX systems and have only *studied* computerized TX settings. I have yet to actually program:
  • SubTrims
  • End Points
  • TH curves
  • PIT curves
  • D/R's
  • Expo's
  • TH Hold (for auto rotate)
Fortunately, I love this technical stuff!

I'm glad that you got to catch some air with the Gaui! That had to feel good! Time sure does fly when you you're havin' fun! You just need more batteries!
Old Nov 19, 2011, 03:29 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
TRex 600 EFL Pro Build- BEC Question

Quote:

Here the video is!
..watched it again and I'm super impressed with the soft spool-up. When I tried to program the Razor's ESC for soft-start, it was a nightmare of "beep" menus. The beep patterns were so confusing that you didn't know what mode you were in. I'm hoping that the Castle Ice ESC will have a better programming feature because I REALLY want a soft-start for the 600, like yours.

I'm still trying to figure out why Align includes a ESC and a BEC in the kit. The ESC has a built-in stepdown. Yet, they also have you wire-in a separate BEC as well. I thought BEC's were for Nitro engines. Appearently not! Hmmm.. I better contact my some folks on that one.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:30 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,503 Posts
Quote:
..watched it again and I'm super impressed with the soft spool-up. When I tried to program the Razor's ESC for soft-start, it was a nightmare of "beep" menus. The beep patterns were so confusing that you didn't know what mode you were in. I'm hoping that the Castle Ice ESC will have a better programming feature because I REALLY want a soft-start for the 600, like yours.

I'm still trying to figure out why Align includes a ESC and a BEC in the kit. The ESC has a built-in stepdown. Yet, they also have you wire-in a separate BEC as well. I thought BEC's were for Nitro engines. Appearently not! Hmmm.. I better contact my some folks on that one.
It's probably the rating on the built-in BEC (Battery eliminator circuit) -- some of the 500-sized 100A motor ESCs were coming with as little as 3A rating for the linear on-board (linear means it's also inefficient) BEC, so with that one disabled, you can go to a stand-alone higher output switching "UBEC" or "SBEC" ("U" is a specific brand, "S" is more correct for "Switching", but the "U" seems to have stuck).

If enough people were doing this anyway, Align probably just decided to kit it that way,especially if other brands were giving them grief about it in marketing.

The spool up was indeed soft (it's awesome) but it doesn't take quite that long if you want -- I also was slowly moving the stick up... it's an interesting arrangement -- until you get to about 50 or 55% throttle, while it's still in soft start mode, it's like everything is in molasses, you can even lower the throttle and raise it some, and it will respond, but very dampened while it has not yet completely gotten to enough speed. Now, once it's started in earnest, then the throttle responds immediately, of course! I think there is a separate programming guide just for the motor controller, and I think I already have it on pdf, but the settings as-shipped seem great. It has a built in governor mode, too, which is nice.

"KO and gyro" was actually "Tail[direction] and gyro", but I'm sure my tongue was sticking to the roof of my dry mouth!

Last edited by tracknoob; Nov 19, 2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:37 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
TRex 600 EFL Pro Build- Castle Ice HV2 80 ESC

Quote:
So cool!! It dawned on me to "get out the manual, Dummy!" Meanwhile, I also fired off a PM to a 600 builder-friend of mine and discovered some really cool things..
  • The Castle Ice HV2 80 ESC does not have a built-in BEC. Therefore, Align has provided one. A BEC reduces the ESC's output voltage to the servos and RX. The voltage to the motor is unchanged.
  • The ESC is programmed through a FREE mini-controller or through your PC. Easy!
  • The ESC has data logging of temperature, rpm (motor and headspeed), performance peaks, and so on. I can add/compare the ESC's data to the DX8's Telemetry data log. Cool!
  • It has selectable Start-ups. TrackNoob's G-X5 must be set on "Very Soft Startup" My manual describes it as "Slowest spool-up and softest start, most throttle changes dampened."

So cool!!! I feel like I have some *real equipment* now!
Last edited by HeliGriff; Nov 19, 2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:44 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,503 Posts
Quote:

So cool!!! I feel like I have some *real equipment* now!
I hear ya! Here is my separate 20 amp Castle Pro Ver2 BEC on the left, and the ESC in front(right of frame). Crappy photo, but you can see the interface port on the BEC on top.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:52 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
I hear ya! Here is my separate Castle BEC on the left, and the ESC in front(right of frame). Crappy photo, but you can see the interface port on the BEC on top.
Awesome! I'm downloading the free Software tonight. I'm told that I can run the software and get familiar with it, while waiting for the free programming adapter for the PC to get here.

so cool.. so cool!
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:11 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
TRex 600 EFL Pro Build- Castle Ice2 HV 80 ESC

Quote:
Awesome! I'm downloading the free Software tonight. I'm told that I can run the software and get familiar with it, while waiting for the free programming adapter for the PC to get here.

so cool.. so cool!
YES! The Castle software lets you set Soft-Starts AND Soft Cut-Off without being in Governor Mode!

This is a nifty little software application that works on several Castle ESC products!
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:22 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:

Here the video is!
So glad that you posted the video, TrackNoob! If you hadn't, I would not have thought about soft-starts... would not have investigated the ESC/BEC thing.. would not have known about the FREE Castle stuff.. would not have discovered this great FREE software.. wouldn't know what I now, know.

It's been a good day 'cause you posted your video. Ya' never know how it can help someone!

Also, Special Thanks to FNFAL for the technical clarity, good advice, and pointing me in the right direction!!
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:27 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,503 Posts
Quote:
So glad that you posted the video, TrackNoob!
We are just a big fuzzy Cub Scout troop!

Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:40 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
We are just a big fuzzy Cub Scout troop!

Ahhh...

BTW, It's just now starting to sink-in that I actually own this thing. My Dream Machine is actually in the next room. ..get a grip, HeliGriff!
Old Nov 19, 2011, 08:10 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,503 Posts
Quote:
Ahhh...

BTW, It's just now starting to sink-in that I actually own this thing. My Dream Machine is actually in the next room. ..get a grip, HeliGriff!
It didn't come with grips?

YOU WERE ROBBED!

Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:11 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
It didn't come with grips?

YOU WERE ROBBED!

LOL! Wait.. here they are. I was using them as bookends!

Got the motor block and pinion on! The 600's helix design pinion cuts down on gear noise. That's good because we like the sound of blades! I just had to show some size comparisons of each motor's pinion gears.

I pulled-out the Tail Transmission gear assembly for the 600. I'm impressed with the Torque Tube (drive shaft) receiver. The shaft and receiver are slotted. No drive shaft slippage!

My Walkera V200 has the same gear-drive design concept. For fun, I dug out the V200 for a comparison in size.
Last edited by HeliGriff; Nov 19, 2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:27 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
One of the things I do enjoy most with larger helicopters, is that I can use normal size screw drivers, and I dont need to use a magnifier head set when assembling. I recently weakened and purchased a HK250GT on impulse for about $30, and the build was shear torment due the tiny parts involved during the locktite phase of the build. If I was'nt such a cheap skate I would have put it in the bin.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47