SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by HeliGriff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:27 AM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTstrudl View Post
Wow a lot of thing happening this beautiful weekend.

Talk about my V120 make me feel like I am coming from the other end of the earth in this blog. Well just too excited finding out that all of a sudden I can do a tail down funnel with this amazing FP heli.

Flew first three packs with nose down funnel as usual, never thought tail down funnel is possible. Gust wind blew the heli, while I managed to control the crisis, heli turning tail down, its bottom facing me, somehow I maintained the heli at my eye height, and it flew around me while I am turning CCW. The beautiful thing was after that I flew another 20+ packs having heli just doing tail down funnel in front of me.+
Cool! That's probably how all 3D tricks were discovered.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:41 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,351 Posts
Six hours to Balance Charge 4000mAh batteries? What's going on? I must have a setting wrong.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Six hours to Balance Charge 4000mAh batteries? What's going on? I must have a setting wrong.
You can't charge a 4000mah battery with your cell phone.
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:59 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
You can't charge a 4000mah battery with your cell phone.
They make an App for that?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:29 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
929 Posts
Quote:
For parallel charging, if batteries have big difference in voltage, it would take much longer time to have a full balance charge.
GTstrudl is online now Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:43 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,351 Posts
Quote:
For parallel charging, if batteries have big difference in voltage, it would take much longer time to have a full balance charge.
Thanks for the tip!

One of the HeliGriff team mentioned that a battery with a weak or bad cell will not balance because it bleeds off to another cell. Therefore, the Balance Charge never ends because it is trying to balance that cell. I think this is what it occurring in my case because the battery is at max voltage (25.2v). Makes sense.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:45 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,351 Posts
Speaking of Balance Charging.. I've read that Balance Charging only needs to done every 10-15 flights. I Balance Charge each time. What do you guys think, overkill?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:01 PM
United States, OR, Astoria
Joined Feb 2011
1,030 Posts
I balance charge every time too and I won't change that habit. Why wouldn't you balance every time?
khoysagk is online now Find More Posts by khoysagk
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:50 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
I balance charge every time too and I won't change that habit. Why wouldn't you balance every time?
If it is not necessary, then it would save me time on the weekends when I get the chance to fly, recharge, and fly again that evening. I've always felt that balancing each time was better for the batteries. However, on Sundays I don't have 4-6 hours to charge them and fly again that evening. I'm thinking that I'll Balance Charge during the week and do a normal charge on Sundays between flights. I WON'T fast charge again! One of my batteries fried last weekend during a fast charge. I have two sets of batteries coming in the mail. I hope they get here tomorrow!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Speaking of Balance Charging.. I've read that Balance Charging only needs to done every 10-15 flights. I Balance Charge each time. What do you guys think, overkill?
That depends on the condition of each individual cell in a battery.
If two cells in a three cell lipo battery each charge to 4.2V and one cell to 3.9V, then balance charging usually brings the low cell up if it's not damaged. If that difference happens often then you'll have to balance charge that battery more often, rather than simply charging it. If you just charge a battery with a low cell and don't reduce its run time then the low cell can discharge below its 80% usage point and incur damage while the batteries overall output is reduced.
To avoid that situation I usually balance charge my batteries and storage charge them after flying. That routine seems to work well for me.
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:02 AM
United States, OR, Astoria
Joined Feb 2011
1,030 Posts
Quote:
I don't have 4-6 hours to charge them and fly again that evening.
4-6 hours? I think you need a better charging setup.
I have 12 6s 3300mah lipos and 4 6s 5000mah lipos. I'm ready to go within a couple of hours.
khoysagk is online now Find More Posts by khoysagk
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:17 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
4-6 hours? I think you need a better charging setup.
I have 12 6s 3300mah lipos and 4 6s 5000mah lipos. I'm ready to go within a couple of hours.
I either need a charging system with more power or more batteries or a different brand of battery. It seems that it takes longer and longer to charge. I used to charge in a couple of hours. Now it takes all day.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:16 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
929 Posts
Quote:
A little more details for my own comment. My record of parallel balanced charging was about 60 packs a day. They are 1s batteries but I believe the technical theory is the same. Say Group One has 3.83v-3.82v-3.83v and Group Two has 3.83v-3.94v-4.01v. Group Two would take double or thriple time to a complete balanced charge. Group One always has a higher charge current than Group Two. You can observe the charge current from battery charger.
GTstrudl is online now Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:47 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,351 Posts
Quote:
A little more details for my own comment. My record of parallel balanced charging was about 60 packs a day. They are 1s batteries but I believe the technical theory is the same. Say Group One has 3.83v-3.82v-3.83v and Group Two has 3.83v-3.94v-4.01v. Group Two would take double or thriple time to a complete balanced charge. Group One always has a higher charge current than Group Two. You can observe the charge current from battery charger.
Interesting. Still, it used to charge all six 6S batteries within 2-3 hours. Now it takes much longer. That tells me that something is changing. I doubt the charger or [power supply has changed. It must be the cells ability to take a charge as the age. I may try another brand. Meanwhile, my chrger can handle a bigger power supply in terms of voltage. I'm wondering if a different PS would help.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:00 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,351 Posts
Unacceptable!

Every place I order from ships the same day free, except Hobby King. Sunday night I ordered batteries from HobbyKing. I paid the extra shipping to get the package within business 5 days. They didn't ship it until Wednesday. My batteries aren't to arrive until next Tuesday which is 5 business days. Unacceptable! I'll gladly pay someone else more money per battery, save thye shipping costs, and get them when I need them.