SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by HeliGriff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:11 PM
Registered User
United States, OR, Astoria
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Wow, HG -- pretty darned good outcome after all!

I would normally say something like "bring it up slow' or 'take your time with the requal' but I know how meticulous you are already, so that's a given!





Good luck with it, glad so much of it was salvagable!
I think the word you're looking for is anal.
khoysagk is offline Find More Posts by khoysagk
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:23 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
I think the word you're looking for is anal.

I was being nice!!!!!



tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:19 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
I was being nice!!!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
I think the word you're looking for is anal.
Funny! Ha Ha! ..comedians, pfftt!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:34 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,373 Posts
HG's Anal-logical pre-flight tip..

Just a friendly reminder to us all..

On the first page of this blog I talked about balancing the head with the blades attached. Well, I gotta tell ya that these big birds, with the high-dollar CF "factory balanced" blades, still need balanced too. If you catch my BeastX Maiden video, here is what you WON'T see:
  • Tail "hopping" on spool-up
  • The typical "Harmonic Shake" on spool-up

My tail blades were about 20 off balance. A 1/2 x 1/2" sticker on one blade cured that. The main blades were balanced at the CG but, they were about 10 off-balance as a unit. One-half of a reflective sticker on the CG mark balanced the unit. Thus, when combined with a good setup and gyro, you get to watch some fairly long hovers that are on-the-spot!

Anal? You bet! That's what helicopters are for!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:42 AM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,373 Posts
Update: Stardate 07.20.12

600EFL is back together sporting a new tail boom and shiny new "display" canopy! Thanks to my "anal mini-wiring-harnesses", the motor & electronics were a breeze to install and plug-in. It's time to charge some batteries!

Rumor has it our club's field may be moving to a new area at NASA. Bigger! Better!

HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:23 PM
Registered User
United States, OR, Astoria
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
600EFL is back together sporting a new tail boom and shiny new "display" canopy! Thanks to my "anal mini-wiring-harnesses", the motor & electronics were a breeze to install and plug-in. It's time to charge some batteries!

Rumor has it our club's field may be moving to a new area at NASA. Bigger! Better!

Did you get the same canopy? If not.....

khoysagk is offline Find More Posts by khoysagk
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:19 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
Did you get the same canopy? If not.....

LOL!! yes, I got the same. My backup bird will be different.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:12 PM
Registered User
United States, OR, Astoria
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
My 550 is ready for its maiden flight. Hopefully tomorrow. I started the fuselage project of my 500 today, lots of things to figure out. Anyone have a Spektrum AR8000 laying around? I need another channel for the lights.
khoysagk is offline Find More Posts by khoysagk
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:43 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
My 550 is ready for its maiden flight. Hopefully tomorrow. I started the fuselage project of my 500 today, lots of things to figure out. Anyone have a Spektrum AR8000 laying around? I need another channel for the lights.
Almost had an AR8000 for ya. Decided to stick with it for now.

Speaking of PICHERS.. You have NOT said what the fuselage is, nor have we seen one picher yet! What's up with that Mr. Hoysagk, hmm?

Best of luck on your maiden, amigo! Take Vids.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:46 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,373 Posts
Cameras are charging. RX batts are charging. Blades are balanced. Gyro is "blue" and rockin'! Hopefully I get to fly Sunday!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:43 AM
Registered User
United States, OR, Astoria
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Almost had an AR8000 for ya. Decided to stick with it for now.

Speaking of PICHERS.. You have NOT said what the fuselage is, nor have we seen one picher yet! What's up with that Mr. Hoysagk, hmm?

Best of luck on your maiden, amigo! Take Vids.
I never take a video of a maiden flight, I'm nervous enough without the camera on my head. I'll take one of the second flight though.
The fuse is just the plain ole Airwolf. I've always liked the looks of it. I like others too but had to decide on ONE. Here is a PICHER of my messy kitchen table.
khoysagk is offline Find More Posts by khoysagk
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:31 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
I never take a video of a maiden flight, I'm nervous enough without the camera on my head. I'll take one of the second flight though.
The fuse is just the plain ole Airwolf. I've always liked the looks of it. I like others too but had to decide on ONE. Here is a PICHER of my messy kitchen table.
Nice! The Airwolfs are typically tail heavy. So, you may want some forward CG counter-weight.

Do you have a fetish for ladies clogs or are those your wife's? The size-comparison shot had some snazzy pink ones. This shot has white ones. ..starting to wonder about ya.

Good luck on the 500 Fuselage & 550 Maiden!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:37 PM
Registered User
United States, OR, Astoria
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Do you have a fetish for ladies clogs or are those your wife's? The size-comparison shot had some snazzy pink ones. This shot has white ones. ..starting to wonder about ya.
They're Crocs, you've never seen them? The pink ones are my wife's, but the white ones are mine.
Anyway, here is the 2nd flight of my new T-Rex550. I love this bird, almost as big as the 600 but much lighter.

T-Rex550E DFC BeastX, 2nd flight 07-21-2012 (5 min 58 sec)
khoysagk is offline Find More Posts by khoysagk
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:14 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
They're Crocs, you've never seen them? The pink ones are my wife's, but the white ones are mine.
Anyway, here is the 2nd flight of my new T-Rex550. I love this bird, almost as big as the 600 but much lighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92U_0kyWujI
Crocs.. sure they are..

Nice job on the 550! Speed, weight, agility, that's why guys like the 550 over the 600. Nice job on the pirouettes, flips, invert, and rolls too! Pretty darn good for flight #2! You're looking good on the sideways landing too! Best of all, great spool-down! Good day for ya!

I was going to go out tonight but my battery charger (i-charger 208B) won't complete a charge without an error "overrun capacity" and an hour goes by before I realize the batteries haven't been charging. The only limits I have set are the default 5000mAhs and 2 hour time limit. So, I don't know what the deal is. I should update the firmware and call EP Buddy.

Thanks for Video! Luv it!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:37 PM
Registered User
United States, OR, Astoria
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Nice job on the 550! Speed, weight, agility, that's why guys like the 550 over the 600. Nice job on the pirouettes, flips, invert, and rolls too! Pretty darn good for flight #2! You're looking good on the sideways landing too! Best of all, great spool-down!
Thanks for Video! Luv it!
Thanks Russ. I decided today to improve more on my weak points instead of always flying the same patterns. It's time to step up the game. I got most of my house work done, my work phone is shut off, so tomorrow I will be able to spend more time at the field, weather permitting.
khoysagk is offline Find More Posts by khoysagk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Self-Righting Airplanes Don't Teach Newbies To Fly Tepid Pilot Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 87 Oct 01, 2010 10:19 AM
Discussion Just an Idea that may help with some many questions from Newbies Ben Morrow Batteries and Chargers 4 Sep 29, 2010 01:46 PM
Discussion Newbies guide to picking motors. NoFlyZone Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 4 Sep 23, 2010 10:54 AM
Discussion Newbies Need Help, Kentucky Fried ESC catscratch Electric Plane Talk 22 Sep 19, 2010 09:09 PM