HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:35 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Just think, it could have been worse. You could have got her away the 2nd time only to loose the motor mount in flight due to the 1st crash. That could have chewed your plane up before crashing back to earth. Or you could have had the wing separate in flight
Head
On my Blue Funder (built almost identical do this plane) my wings decided to fold up on me pulling out of a dive. THat's what i get for using cheapo dowels without checking the grain to make sure they ran the entire length.
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:04 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinolin View Post
I was at the school flying my plane and these dogs were chasing it.....it ran out of juice and had to land it. the dog ate the tail off
Nice Videos. For a first time flyer, you seem pretty good! Did you mean Maiden flight of your funbat? You definitely are flying zero mistakes high.

The tail wag is normal on a short plane and perhaps the alignment of your rudders is not equal and they are figthing each other.

Perhaps it's the Tail wagging that got the dog excited to eat the plane.
I hope you figure it out.

Funbat - Bloody Micks Foam Board Designs (6 min 26 sec)

Her eis my second flight
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:24 AM
Little Rock, arkansas
Joined Nov 2010
139 Posts
Has Anyone Scaled this baby up? I have built and given away about 5 of these... but I have an eflite 450 and a light set of LG that just begs for a larger version of these,.
wlrman36 is offline Find More Posts by wlrman36
Old Jun 26, 2011, 07:15 AM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
New Motor & Combat loss

I upgraded my FunBat's motor to a stronger 400 size - http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

It made a world of difference on my heavier Coroplast bird (20oz.). Using the same 9X5 GWS, she is a bit faster & has a lot more thrust/lift.
As you can see in the video, I still need to be careful about getting behind the power curve when down low, or else there just isn't enough there to pull me out of trouble & down she goes.

Unfortunately, I lost my first combat match today at the hands of a scratch built wing made from pink foam.
We had a head on (just off camera - but you can clearly hear it). My O ring & prop seperated - at that point, I became a glider pilot on short final ....

FunBat's 1st Combat Defeat (2 min 29 sec)
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:03 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,312 Posts
A short video of my first streamer flight, nothing too exciting.

Just a solo flight, no combat.....YET!

http://vimeo.com/25636659
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:01 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Here's my contribution. Built in two days (after working hours to dinner time).

Motor : Parkjet 2200kv Brushless Motor
Prop : 6 X 4 Carbon Speed Prop
ESC : To be Decided (30A at least)
Servo : TowerPro Metal Gear Servo X 2
Battery : To be Decided (Maybe can fit 2200mAh 3S)

I've extended the nose by 1". Does that have any effect on the CG location?
I have decided the CG to be around 1.5" from Wing Leading Edge.

Any recommendations before i maiden this weekend? Appreciated..
KenChin is offline Find More Posts by KenChin
Old Jun 29, 2011, 02:26 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenChin View Post
Here's my contribution. Built in two days (after working hours to dinner time).

ESC : To be Decided (30A at least)
Battery : To be Decided (Maybe can fit 2200mAh 3S)

I've extended the nose by 1". Does that have any effect on the CG location?
I have decided the CG to be around 1.5" from Wing Leading Edge.

Any recommendations before i maiden this weekend? Appreciated..
Nice build. Better choice on colors than mine. My kids colored mine and it is too similar top to bottom.
The 1 inch extension will bring your CG forward. Stock mine was right on the spar at 1.75". Adding a 2200mAh battery will have a significant impact too depending on how far forward you mount it. The battery position will have the greatest impact on CG. use velcro so you can move it around to find the ideal position. With 1000mAh 20C blue Lipo I'm good for 7-8 minutes for flying varied speeds.

For the Maiden, I would prefer a nose heavy plane over a twitchy tail heavy plane if I wasn't sure of the right balance. Nose heavy means a higher speed on landing and less responsive to surface inputs too.
I would set up dual rates and/or expo because these little planes can be quite twitchy. I have 50% expo on the elevator and 30% dual rate switch on the ailerons for launch. Once you're up and stable you can kick it up and roll at high rates.
Congrats on a great build
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:12 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Nice build. Better choice on colors than mine. My kids colored mine and it is too similar top to bottom.
The 1 inch extension will bring your CG forward. Stock mine was right on the spar at 1.75". Adding a 2200mAh battery will have a significant impact too depending on how far forward you mount it. The battery position will have the greatest impact on CG. use velcro so you can move it around to find the ideal position. With 1000mAh 20C blue Lipo I'm good for 7-8 minutes for flying varied speeds.

For the Maiden, I would prefer a nose heavy plane over a twitchy tail heavy plane if I wasn't sure of the right balance. Nose heavy means a higher speed on landing and less responsive to surface inputs too.
I would set up dual rates and/or expo because these little planes can be quite twitchy. I have 50% expo on the elevator and 30% dual rate switch on the ailerons for launch. Once you're up and stable you can kick it up and roll at high rates.
Congrats on a great build
Thanks. I think i am going to at 1.5" CG point and follow your lead on the rest of the settings. The FunBat is ready for maiden this coming Sunday (at a open field). Will see how it goes...

But here's an update on the setup.

ESC : Extreme Flight Airboss 35A ESC
Battery : 3S 2200mAh 40C
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:50 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I think i am going to at 1.5" CG point and follow your lead on the rest of the settings. The FunBat is ready for maiden this coming Sunday (at a open field). Will see how it goes...

But here's an update on the setup.

ESC : Extreme Flight Airboss 35A ESC
Battery : 3S 2200mAh 40C
Come to think of it, you should run a watt meter on the 2200kV 6X4 setup and see what amps it really draws at WOT. Your 40C 2200mAh batter will deliver a constant 88 amps which is why more than you need. The weight penalty in flight performance is much greater than running a couple packs at 1000mAh and 20C. True the flight time is lower but who cares, Land, pop in another pack and off you go. Better Acro and higher speeds and better climb rates if you go as light as you can.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 11:00 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
The CG at 1.5 is at the dot for my FunBat. Maiden flight flew as if it's on rails... A little agile in the beginning but for the 2200kv Parkjet motor with 3S 2200mAh 40C battery, unlimited vertical is achieved...

Hands gets itchy for the VTO... Enjoy the sequence in this short clip.

FunBat VTO (0 min 21 sec)
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:35 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,312 Posts
Quote:
Hands gets itchy for the VTO...
Me too!@!

http://vimeo.com/25933298
Old Jul 03, 2011, 10:14 PM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Hi Sammy... mind to share your setup?
Old Jul 04, 2011, 06:25 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,312 Posts
Quote:
Hi Sammy... mind to share your setup?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=44
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:26 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,135 Posts
Does this design solve the problems of the original Blue Funder? I have built 2 of them and the biggest issue is that the elevator has very little effect at low or no throttle. It also tends to bob up and down if there is too much elevator at low speeds. This makes landings very difficult.
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:54 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
I've tested the FunBat on slow speed. It seems to tail wag but i never had it bob up and down...