HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:14 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,223 Posts
I usually fly the model as per the plan and then see what she does. Check the c of g is as per the plan and that the lateral balance is spot on. Do this by placing one finger on the motor shaft and the another at the centre of the rear fuse. If she drops a wing add some weight to the opposite wing tip.
With all control surfaces at neutral the model should gently climb as the power is increased. If she heads for the heavens like a love sick angel then you need to add down thrust. Get some thin washers and place one each side between the top motor X mount and ply motor mount. Try it again, adding more washers until you are happy. If it turns to the left then you need to pack out the right mount (when looking from the front) If you have already added down thrust you will need to add another washer to the top. Check out the power off glide and then add power. The model shouldn't do anything other than climb gently.
Hope this helps
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:53 AM
RC Geeky
United Kingdom, Watford
Joined Mar 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
I usually fly the model as per the plan and then see what she does. Check the c of g is as per the plan and that the lateral balance is spot on. Do this by placing one finger on the motor shaft and the another at the centre of the rear fuse. If she drops a wing add some weight to the opposite wing tip.
With all control surfaces at neutral the model should gently climb as the power is increased. If she heads for the heavens like a love sick angel then you need to add down thrust. Get some thin washers and place one each side between the top motor X mount and ply motor mount. Try it again, adding more washers until you are happy. If it turns to the left then you need to pack out the right mount (when looking from the front) If you have already added down thrust you will need to add another washer to the top. Check out the power off glide and then add power. The model shouldn't do anything other than climb gently.
Hope this helps
Andy
Thank you Andy very helpful will go with your suggestions and adjust as necessary......
Craig
craigblk is offline Find More Posts by craigblk
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:35 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,223 Posts
No problem Craig. Now regarding c of g. I find the Funbat very tolerant of c of g but here are the stats on my current one.
My newest Funbat has a 600mm span and is 440mm from the leading edge to the t/e of the elevator. The forward fuse was extended and is 100mm from the wings l/e to the motor mount. This allows for a top hatch for access to the li-po compartment and helps achieve the correct c of g even if using something like a Blue Wonder 1700 kv. I've swapped my Micro Dan motor for a spare 1950kv HK FunFighter motor which weighs 60 grams. A bit on the heavy side but want to try her on a 800 4 cell set which will need to be pushed back under the wing. With a 850 3s pack and 6x4 APC prop she flies well with the c of g at 50mm back from the l/e. If running on a motor around 30-35 grams I think a forward fuse of 80mm would be better. I'm also running fins that at around half the plan size and it tracks just as well. Less chance of damaging them if come in a bit tail down.
Andy
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:04 PM
RC Geeky
United Kingdom, Watford
Joined Mar 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
No problem Craig. Now regarding c of g. I find the Funbat very tolerant of c of g but here are the stats on my current one.
My newest Funbat has a 600mm span and is 440mm from the leading edge to the t/e of the elevator. The forward fuse was extended and is 100mm from the wings l/e to the motor mount. This allows for a top hatch for access to the li-po compartment and helps achieve the correct c of g even if using something like a Blue Wonder 1700 kv. I've swapped my Micro Dan motor for a spare 1950kv HK FunFighter motor which weighs 60 grams. A bit on the heavy side but want to try her on a 800 4 cell set which will need to be pushed back under the wing. With a 850 3s pack and 6x4 APC prop she flies well with the c of g at 50mm back from the l/e. If running on a motor around 30-35 grams I think a forward fuse of 80mm would be better. I'm also running fins that at around half the plan size and it tracks just as well. Less chance of damaging them if come in a bit tail down.
Andy
Andy
Will be cutting out the wing and tail section on Tuesday (no Phlat printer here I'm afraid just cacti knife and rule) but am already considering changing the fuselage design to include a longer nose and wider tail section, possibly your suggestion of 80mm for the nose and creating a canopy to house the ESC and the aileron servos...plagiarising a design spotted earlier in this thread sorry not sure who it was; will definitely be adding rudders. Can't wait to get started now!
Craig
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:34 PM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,085 Posts
Pleased to see there's another FunBat about to be built
Andy is a good source for info (where I get much of my inspiration from).
About to help a fairly new FB in the cut/build of his funbat, we plan to cover the depron with a sticky-backed film not unlike the old 'Fablon'. Hopefully we can get a build-log or at least some photo's showing the model in it's livery. I could almost be tempted to build another for myself... Or maybe I should finish off a couple of others which are long-time coming !!
RWData is online now Find More Posts by RWData
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:48 AM
RC Geeky
United Kingdom, Watford
Joined Mar 2011
68 Posts
[QUOTE=RWData;24094789]Pleased to see there's another FunBat about to be built
About to help a fairly new FB in the cut/build of his funbat, we plan to cover the depron with a sticky-backed film not unlike the old 'Fablon'. Hopefully we can get a build-log or at least some photo's showing the model in it's livery. I could almost be tempted to build another for myself... Or maybe I should finish off a couple of others which are long-time coming !![

Thanks for the response and I will certainly upload photos along the way. Will probably cover the entire plane with 3m cross weave tape as I did with my Bixler 2 and then apply the graphics with my new toy the Silhouette Cameo Vinyl cutter gives awesome results and allows a lot of creativity.....Regards...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:16 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,223 Posts
Craig
be careful not to add too much weight with thick tape. Build to fly, not to crash
If you want to add strength then use some thin coloured packing tape (available from Staples http://www.staples.co.uk/envelopes-l...6pk-50mm-x-66m and on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nk...at=0&_from=R40) with maybe some 3M cross weave tape from the nose to just past the wing and a couple of thin strips across the inner wing and up and over the fuse sides.
Andy
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:34 PM
RC Geeky
United Kingdom, Watford
Joined Mar 2011
68 Posts
Tape

Quote:
Craig
be careful not to add too much weight with thick tape. Build to fly, not to crash
If you want to add strength then use some thin coloured packing tape (available from Staples http://www.staples.co.uk/envelopes-l...6pk-50mm-x-66m and on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nk...at=0&_from=R40) with maybe some 3M cross weave tape from the nose to just past the wing and a couple of thin strips across the inner wing and up and over the fuse sides.
Andy
Andy
As you will see on the attached pic from the Bixler 2 build packing tape has been used for the orientation stripes so may use a combination of that and cross weave but keeping an eye on the weight.....as a guide what AUW should the original funbat be excluding battery, making mine out of 5mm foam board....Craig.....
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:10 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,223 Posts
Weight without li-po is 328 grams. Remember, mine is smaller than plan at 600mm and has a 60 gram motor fitted.
Andy
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:12 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
793 Posts
You can't go wrong on this model by lengthening the cockpit area just a little.

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:20 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,384 Posts
Were I to build another, I'd definitely add a bit of length to the front, as it was a challenge to get the CG far enough forward.
mclarkson is online now Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:58 AM
Kirkland, WA USA
Joined Mar 2001
450 Posts
I used a small wood block 1/4" by 1/4" as my entire leading edge which gave me some weight and strength for the wings. Works great! The Funbat is very fast with the little screamer motor on it
Randy G is online now Find More Posts by Randy G
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:47 AM
RC Geeky
United Kingdom, Watford
Joined Mar 2011
68 Posts
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWData View Post
Pleased to see there's another FunBat about to be built
About to help a fairly new FB in the cut/build of his funbat, we plan to cover the depron with a sticky-backed film not unlike the old 'Fablon'. Hopefully we can get a build-log or at least some photo's showing the model in it's livery. I could almost be tempted to build another for myself... Or maybe I should finish off a couple of others which are long-time coming !!
As requested attached pic shows the start of my first Funbat build....KFM airfoil and carbon reinforcement glued and finished apart from rounding the leading edge, fuselage modified from original plan slightly including 100mm nose area and vertical stabs almost ready for gluing once the rudders have been cut. Vertical stabs have been modified from the original plan at the base to match the angle of the modified fuselage...Before I start to attached the stabs I will probably make the motor mount, attach the motor and work back from there...All spigots on the tail and the fuselage were cut slightly shorter than the thickness of the foam board allowing for a neater finish (slight OCD I know)...as my first scratch build I am enjoying the process so far and will post more pics next week when I have had a chance to progress further....off to fly my helis now as the weather in the uk looks promising for thisafternoon and tomorrow....Regards
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:49 PM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,085 Posts
Looking good
Make sure you have enough space for your chosen lipo, looks okay from here. All my control surfaces are about 25mm width, gives plenty of authority especially on elevator with the airflow channelled by the vert-stab's.
RWData is online now Find More Posts by RWData
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:16 PM
RC Geeky
United Kingdom, Watford
Joined Mar 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWData View Post
Looking good
Make sure you have enough space for your chosen lipo, looks okay from here. All my control surfaces are about 25mm width, gives plenty of authority especially on elevator with the airflow channelled by the vert-stab's.
Thanks RWData
When modifying the fuse I adjusted the widths to make sure I could go up to a 2200mah lipo, only required a slight adjustment to the width at the front and widened the rear of the fuse also which should allow for CG adjustment using the battery. The ailerons on the original plans aren't parallel so have you made yours 25mm across their entire length or kept the original design with 25mm being the widest part at the wing tip!