HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:28 PM
Kirkland, WA USA
Joined Mar 2001
451 Posts
New Funbat

Last night did a quick build on a Funbat for this weekend's combat

I am using a Little Screamer motor so know it will live up to the name! Love how fast you can build on of these. The LE I had a piece of wood sitting there so glued it on
Randy G is offline Find More Posts by Randy G
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:29 PM
Kirkland, WA USA
Joined Mar 2001
451 Posts
For the ailerons and elevator used my old trick of cutting up a 3.5" floppy disk and gluing them in both pieces as hinges. Never break and cheap
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:24 AM
Kirkland, WA USA
Joined Mar 2001
451 Posts
Have it all finished and ready to test fly on Saturday. With the little screamer motor and 3S 500mah battery I turn the throttle on about 1/4th the way and it wants to fly out of my hand.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:10 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,706 Posts
i havent post here in a while , ive been thinking of making a sea plane and being that i love how the funbat flies i think it ,makes a great candidate for some floats . what do you guys think.
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:16 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
i havent post here in a while , ive been thinking of making a sea plane and being that i love how the funbat flies i think it ,makes a great candidate for some floats . what do you guys think.
Sandman, I just recently built a Drongo and it flies great. It is a little like the Funbat, easy to cut out and build, and uses the fuselage as the main float.

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:35 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
Sandman, I just recently built a Drongo and it flies great. It is a little like the Funbat, easy to cut out and build, and uses the fuselage as the main float.

Don
i have a drango . im actually going to work on a larger version of the drango. (i get cabin fever in the winter here in NYC " so all i do is scratch build".)

at my club theres a few of us who fly a smaller version drango 75% on the snow i will see if i find the latest video of it . the ending is very funny

20130126 115847 (1 min 48 sec)

my friend pete aka meanbaby here on rcgroups is the pilot. and also the club master builder.
as you can see drangos do play well with othere planes . lol
Last edited by THESANDMAN; Feb 08, 2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:13 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,283 Posts
Sandman
saw that video over on the Drongo thread. Hope your club master builder repaired the other guys model or perhaps he was trying to start a new full contact Drongo combat league
If you make a sea/lake plane out of the Funbat I'd go up in size to say 36". Make the lipo hatch on top of the fuse and extend the fuse downward to form the hull with a curved front. You would have to run a high kv motor of say 2200 on 3S/1800kv on 4S so you can run a small prop. Alternatively, make a hybrid using the Drongo hull and motor pod and the wing/tail of the Funbat, adding tip floats.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:03 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Sandman
saw that video over on the Drongo thread. Hope your club master builder repaired the other guys model or perhaps he was trying to start a new full contact Drongo combat league
If you make a sea/lake plane out of the Funbat I'd go up in size to say 36". Make the lipo hatch on top of the fuse and extend the fuse downward to form the hull with a curved front. You would have to run a high kv motor of say 2200 on 3S/1800kv on 4S so you can run a small prop. Alternatively, make a hybrid using the Drongo hull and motor pod and the wing/tail of the Funbat, adding tip floats.
Andy
pete is a really great guy . and is quick to repair anyones plane . without a person asking , he likes to build and repair . i quess its his past time .
thanks for the input . i see i have my hands full on trying to build a funbat seaplane .
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:20 PM
RC Geeky
United Kingdom, Watford
Joined Mar 2011
68 Posts
1st Funbat

A bit late to the party with the Funbat but decided today to build the original design / size Funbat with a few mods...A4 plans joined together and cut out ready for my stock of foam board or depron haven't decided yet...just a few questions if anyone can help...would squaring off the vertical tails and cutting in rudders work, will the 2200mah battery fit in the standard fuse running a 2212 2200kv motor or is that size battery overkill for this airframe and what flight times can I expect obviously dependant of final battery decision. Recently finished building my modded Bixler 2 so ready for a new challenge and thought the Funbat, well should be fun pardon the pun.......Regards
craigblk is offline Find More Posts by craigblk
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:00 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,396 Posts
Dear lord, that's a lot of motor! I'm running a 2712-17 (0.9oz 1700kV) with 3S 800-850mAh batteries and I can do vertical take-offs.

Because of the way I built my battery compartment, I can't get any more battery in mine, but I could have built it to fit a 2200mAh 3s.

I've often thought that a rudder would be a nice addition. If square the fins off, I'd think you want to be careful to leave at least the same area's worth sticking out past the back. But I have no direct experience.

Be forewarned - these planes seem to have a lot of elevator authority. My maiden nearly went very badly as I could barely control the plane until I reduced the throws.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:16 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,283 Posts
I've built 4 sizes of Funbat with the 3 smaller versions being the most fun to fly. The wing departing company on the Maxi version may have something to do with it but lets not dwell on that shall we.
I use the 2212/06 and 2200 mAh 3 cell set in my "Ultra" version which spans 700mm but I think the pack size would be too large on anything smaller
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=925 I extended the nose too much and really should take a 30mm off as this would mean the pack could come forward some more.
Radio control Funbat Ultra 10thOct12 (1 min 14 sec)

My first Funbat was slightly smaller than the plan at 595mm wingspan. I didn't bother with the folded fuse and did extend the nose so I could fit the lipo under a top hatch
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=106 It flew really well on a cheap 1800kv motor from Giant Shark and a 7x4 prop with 3 cell 800-1000 pack
Funbat and Clearview Movie August 2011.wmv (3 min 18 sec)

Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:32 PM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigblk View Post
A bit late to the party with the Funbat but decided today to build the original design / size Funbat with a few mods...A4 plans joined together and cut out ready for my stock of foam board or depron haven't decided yet...just a few questions if anyone can help...would squaring off the vertical tails and cutting in rudders work, will the 2200mah battery fit in the standard fuse running a 2212 2200kv motor or is that size battery overkill for this airframe and what flight times can I expect obviously dependant of final battery decision. Recently finished building my modded Bixler 2 so ready for a new challenge and thought the Funbat, well should be fun pardon the pun.......Regards
Here's a 19" ws version I made recently with working rudder that I fly indoors. I love the rudder for indoor flying.

Fun bat mini (0 min 14 sec)
Nicoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nicoflyer
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:09 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Be forewarned - these planes seem to have a lot of elevator authority. My maiden nearly went very badly as I could barely control the plane until I reduced the throws.
Same here (see my posts upthread). My elevator barely moves and I have a lot of expo dialed in, and my Funbat is still super-sensitive.
V-Man is offline Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:14 AM
RC Geeky
United Kingdom, Watford
Joined Mar 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Dear lord, that's a lot of motor! I'm running a 2712-17 (0.9oz 1700kV) with 3S 800-850mAh batteries and I can do vertical take-offs.

Because of the way I built my battery compartment, I can't get any more battery in mine, but I could have built it to fit a 2200mAh 3s.

I've often thought that a rudder would be a nice addition. If square the fins off, I'd think you want to be careful to leave at least the same area's worth sticking out past the back. But I have no direct experience.

Mclarkson

Just mentioned the 2212 2200kv motor as I have a spare and it is the upgrade motor as recommended on the Bloody Micks plans together with the 2200mah battery. Overlaying the 2200 battery on the plans does look a bit tight for fitting into the fuselage hence the question has anyone any experience of this in the standard fuselage. Extending the nose of the plane by ?.... (Looking for suggestions here) Would this change the point at which you balance the plane I.e. the CG or would you still balance it between 1.75 and 2.25 inches from the wing spar.

Thank you for all the other members comments and prompt response....Regards
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:41 AM
RC Geeky
United Kingdom, Watford
Joined Mar 2011
68 Posts
Thrust angle

Sorry another question...have seen comments on hear about adding thrust angle to the motor so my question is how much, how do you achieve this and is it necessary.....