SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:49 AM
redwhskers
United States, NY, East Nassau
Joined Feb 2010
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromer View Post
I got to maiden my new Mini Funbat last night and it flew great. I would like to thank Nicoflyer for planting the seed.
Yes it did like a rocket.

RW
redwhskers is online now Find More Posts by redwhskers
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:21 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoflyer View Post
Here's a video,not the best (key chain camera taped to a baseball cap) it's on a 3s but you can go from here!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvUOEuY_syA
Thanks Nico
my MicroDAN is the lighter 2505 "Custom" 2535Kv. I'll try her on a 5x5 4S set up at first. I think I'll run some strapping tape over the top of the wing and around the fuse in a couple of places. Don't want the wing to part company like my Funbat Maxi
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:35 PM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Thanks Nico
my MicroDAN is the lighter 2505 "Custom" 2535Kv. I'll try her on a 5x5 4S set up at first. I think I'll run some strapping tape over the top of the wing and around the fuse in a couple of places. Don't want the wing to part company like my Funbat Maxi
Andy
The problem I had with mine was the aileron horn ripping out of the foam. I would go with balsa ailerons next time other than that the plane held up well. I don't build the wing per plans. I use a piece of flat carbon across the TE of the top wing doubler and it's .05X6mm carbon so it ties the top with the main wing. It's even with the top of the wing doubler and half way in the main wing.
Nicoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nicoflyer
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:43 PM
Germantown, N.Y.
Joined Jul 2005
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Looks nice. How 'mini' is it? What's the set-up?
The wingspan is 16 in. and it weighs 50.7g AUW. I am using all the guts from a UM Stryker and the only battery I had was a 120ma (20C) 2 cell. It flew just right for indoors with that battery, it was not ballistic but I would not call it slow either. I just picked up a 200ma (25C) 2 cell like the Stryker uses and will give that a try to see if I can up the ante a bit.
Cromer is offline Find More Posts by Cromer
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:46 PM
Germantown, N.Y.
Joined Jul 2005
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave View Post
Excellent Paint!

Dave-
Thanks. For all you guys that might be in the same boat I am in with a pair of eyes that just don't seem to work as well as they once did those colors stick out like nobody's business.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:49 PM
Germantown, N.Y.
Joined Jul 2005
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
I'm not sure that's bright enough
What power set up are you running on her? Any video?
I'm just finishing two 600mm w/span KFm-4 FB's. That will make 6 that I've made although one of the new ones will be just a bare airframe for my brother. My one will have a 4S set up with the Micro Dan 2600kv motor. Should have enough grunt
Andy
I will try and get some video this coming Friday night or Sunday afternoon. The power is all the guts from a UM Stryker.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:44 AM
great britain
Joined Apr 2010
79 Posts
funbat

just starting to put together one of these great looking little planes. gonna try a 2208 motor 1800kv with a turbojet 30 amp esc, should get it together wednesday using some emax servos have to think about some colours for it. looks like a real fun plane, martin great thread you guys thanks
olblueeyes is offline Find More Posts by olblueeyes
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:56 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,037 Posts
I've used the older gold version of that motor in my 600mm Funbat. It went really well on a 1050 mAh 3s pack and 7x4 or 7x5 prop. I don't normally build more than one of any scratch build model but I'm up to number 6 (one mini,one maxi and 3 x 600mm versions)
Here's my original one in action
Funbat shot with #16 HD Key cam (3 min 9 sec)

Andy
Last edited by headlessagain; Jan 02, 2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:29 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,300 Posts
Unsane!
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:21 AM
great britain
Joined Apr 2010
79 Posts
Name: funbat.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 7.3 KB
Description: my new funbat
here is my funbat. im not good yet with painting tried some water based acrilic today but doesnt seem to want to dry, so going with plain with stripes for now, hope it will fly well, going with a 2208 (1800kv) with a 30 amp esc, emax 8g servos, will try a larger one next if all goes well with this one, have to wait for bullet connectors now as ive run short, what do you guys think so far, martin
headassasin if its half as good as that little rocket you flew in your vid i will be well chuffed, its awsome buddy
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:20 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,037 Posts
Looking good. Just launch on low rates with 40% expo until you get the feel for her. Ailerons and elevator are most effective. I usually set up my builds with the most mechanical advantage i.e. lowest hole on control horn and outermost hole at servo then dial in 50%,75% and 100% rates on aileron (I have a DX8) Once you are comfortable then you might want to adjust the rates and expo to suit yourself. My Mini Funbat had an insane roll rate that was impossible to count leading to some hairy moments when exiting out of the roll.
Lets hope the weekend will bring some good weather for your maiden.
Andy
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:58 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,300 Posts
My Funbats have been very responsive to elevator input. Surprisingly, 'holy crap!' responsive.

So watch out for that.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:43 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,037 Posts
I think it's a result of the airflow being channelled between the quite large vertical stabs. On my latest builds I reduced them in size so I'll see what this does to the effectiveness and tracking.
Andy
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:01 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,058 Posts
Head... Happy New Year
Don't go changing it ! we know how good it is now, you wouldn't want a 'departing wing' escapade again would you TiC
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:35 AM
great britain
Joined Apr 2010
79 Posts
hi guys can anybody give me an idea of what prop size i should try on this funbat, im doing with a turbojet 30a esc, 2208 (1800 kv) motor on a 3 cell battery going either with 1000 or 2200 mah lipo. motor suggests a 9x5 on a 3 cell, is there a way of checking the current with a multi meter if yes can somebody explane please, thanks martin