HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:54 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,609 Posts
Thanx.
Lots of the Giant Scale guys have them.
They can get their 100cc Tugs and a few 16' gliders in them plus support stuff.

Fortunately I bought it for Moving but I'll get to have ti for modeling use
when I get settled.
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:51 PM
USA, CA, chino hills
Joined Sep 2010
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
With that much wood it'll be bullet proof ! :-)

Bob

BTW I shipped 6 more out today ! wheeew
Yes I got mine today!! Thanks!
TravisLabrador is offline Find More Posts by TravisLabrador
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:29 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,609 Posts
Great I hope the PO was kind to the package.

I've closed down my shop now.

Your's was one of the last to be shipped out.

Machine teardown is immenent !

Thanks for the business.

I'll let everyone know when I'm back up and running.

BOB
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:10 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,300 Posts
Maidened my blue Funbat today. It flew just great. Unfortunately, I screwed up with my camera somehow, so you're all spared the video of my maiden flight.

She came out tail heavy, which I seem to recall is a common problem. At the moment, I've taped the ESC to the front of the fuse to help the CG.

Now, on to finishing the sister plane.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Last edited by mclarkson; Sep 08, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:53 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,037 Posts
Great news on the maiden. You are also running a fairly light weight power plant. I've extended the nose on all my Funbats (too much on the "ultra") and min motor weight has been around 35 grams. I've now settled (for now) on the 2212/06 2200kv motor for use in my "ultra". Still had some aileron flutter but eventually cured this with a dab of hot glue on the servo/clevis junction. Video is up but this was prior to the mod. I've also changed the prop from a 6x5 to a 6x4 to give the lipo's an easier time.
Funbat Ultra (4 min 4 sec)

Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:43 AM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,616 Posts
"It's coming straight for us!"

Maidened my new Funbat today. Is the plane supposed to be that twitchy?

In-flight picture from less than 3 seconds after maiden launch (camera is attached my - the pilot's - head). Looped around head-over-heels and came straight at us. My spotter/launcher dove to the ground but I managed to pull the plane vertical and away.

Landed safely, but I think I cut elevator motion by something like 75% after that...

I enlarged the plans a bit to fill two Dollarstore foam sheets. Runs on 3S/1000 mAh, 8x4 prop. AUW a hair over 10 oz. Maybe it's too light for today, the wind was gusting pretty hard.
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:30 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,037 Posts
The Funbat is extremely manoeuvrable but goes exactly where you point it. If you are finding it twitchy then tone down the throws and add some more expo. My 16" version had a crazy roll rate on full rates and was way too fast even with lots of expo. It doesn't need a lot of elevator movement. I think it's something to do with the way the side fins channel the airflow.
Andy
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:21 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
The Funbat is extremely manoeuvrable but goes exactly where you point it. If you are finding it twitchy then tone down the throws and add some more expo. My 16" version had a crazy roll rate on full rates and was way too fast even with lots of expo.
Ailerons felt fine (hard to say -- don't maiden in gusty winds ), it's really the elevator that threw me for a loop. Figuratively and literally.

Quote:
It doesn't need a lot of elevator movement. I think it's something to do with the way the side fins channel the airflow.
I know (now). Original throws were way too much. I've cut them by 65% and added 30% expo and it's still super-responsive.

I'll try again on a windless day. Good thing is that neither the spotter nor the plane have a scratch on them.

I have a video, if anyone wants to laugh...

Funbat Combat Plane Maiden - September 9, 2012 (1 min 3 sec)
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
Last edited by V-Man; Sep 09, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:38 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,300 Posts
When I first threw mine up in the air, yesterday, it was all I could do to bring it around and land it immediately. The controls, especially the elevator, were way, way, way sensitive. I put it back on the ground and immediately set up some dual rates and expo.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:38 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,300 Posts
I took it out today for a second and third flight, and a first attempt at vertical take-off.

Scratchbuilt Funbat - Maiden flights - vertical takeoff (4 min 34 sec)
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:24 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,300 Posts

Should anyone be interested, my build log with tons of photos is here.
Last edited by mclarkson; Sep 11, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
What is the wing cord to root & tips. Planning on creating a spin off design with the Armin wing design & a tapered tube fuse. Thanks in advance for the numbers.
HandsFX is offline Find More Posts by HandsFX
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:11 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsFX View Post
What is the wing cord to root & tips. Planning on creating a spin off design with the Armin wing design & a tapered tube fuse. Thanks in advance for the numbers.
Should be a great flyer. Try to make the wing symmetrical and it will be more aerobatic. Look up a Sig Wonder.

Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:57 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,300 Posts
On mine, I measure the chord at 8" at the inside, from LE to the corner of the elevon, and 6 1/8" at the outside edge, from LE to the corner of the elevon.

My recollection from the plans is that all the measurements are slightly wonky - the wingspan is 27.37"; the length is 20.22"; etc. You can pull the plans down from Bloody Mick's and do some measurements.

Here's mine, yesterday. My son and I were gonna have a ribbon fight but his battery died on us so it's mostly just me.
Funbat towing a ribbon (3 min 44 sec)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:02 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,037 Posts
Here's a short video of me flying the "ultra" close in at 50% power then WOT. Flight ended just after #16 keycam lipo went flat as I could hear the low voltage alarm sounding. Just shows what a smooth handling and viceless model this is. Anybody that doesn't have one in their fleet is missing out big time.
Radio control Funbat Ultra 10thOct12 (1 min 14 sec)

I'm still temped to shoehorn in the 400+ watt NTM 1800 that ripped the wings off of the Funbat Maxi. I'd need to bring the firewall back as the motor is over 30grams heavier than the 2212/06 I'm running.
Andy