Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtitan View Post
so Ken have you gotten to fly it yet?

Jon

Jon,
I just moved my shop from the basement to the garage for the warmer weather. I have to install the pushrods, and can't for the life of me find where I put that tube of music wire. I hate buying supplies I already have, but looks like I'll have to bite the bullet here if it does not turn up.

I am looking forward to flying it ASAP.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2011, 12:03 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
My first Build - FunBat

Hi funbat fans,

I saw the Flitetest video on youtube talking about combat and foam built planes. The funbat looked like a great first project. I had the elmer's foam board laying around from my kids projects, and on a rainy Saturday afternoon, printed out the plans and cut the pieces. 1 1/2 hours time and everything was dry fit and prototyped. Then, through the parts bin, I got a 2000KV in runner, 30A HK Plush ESC, 3S 1000mAh, 2 9g HK HXT900, 3Ch Flysky from an RC car, linked to my Turnigy 9X. I had a broken CF spar that I glued and inserted a center rod reinforcement into, glued into the fold over wing. Elmer's glue and a little CF on the servos. Velcro for the ESC and Battery. 1/8 triplex ply for the nose box / motor mount. Mine was outside the foam fuse as opposed to nicely inside the foam fuse. 6X4 prop, push rods and clevis pins etc... Tape hinges with some good 3M surgical tape. CG was spot on from the first attempt at 1.75" right on the spar.

The kids and wife did the paint job with markers. Total time 5-6 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/user/b6s4shel.../2/gEieQ0Bx5UQ

This video is the second flight as I was hyped up and forgot to hand over my iPhone to film the maiden. Dailed in 30% dual rates on ailerons and 50% on the elevator after maiden flight. She flew great. Thanks Bloody Micks!
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old May 26, 2011, 01:15 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Nose Job & Flag fly

I didn't like the sight of 1.7 oz. of weight glued to the nose, so I decided to give her a nose job - 2" worth.

The extention allowed the weight to be removed. I probably could have done 1.5", and still been able to balance by moving the battery up.

The net weight loss was 1.5 oz. - from 20 to 18.5. She flies much better. I should see even more improvement when my new 1300mah 25C batteries show up next week - these old, wore out 10C's are probably not allowing me to develop full power.

Also, I picked up some small American Flags to try a Flag fly, both fuselage mounted & banner towed.

Note the crashworthiness of the Coroplast after my patented "nose in, bouncing & cartwheeling" landing. This thing is bulletproof! Now if I could only make it resistant to my thumbs ...

FunBat Flag fly (1 min 39 sec)
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Last edited by gatorlynch; May 26, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old May 26, 2011, 05:06 PM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlynch View Post
I didn't like the sight of 1.7 oz. of weight glued to the nose, so I decided to give her a nose job - 2" worth.

The extention allowed the weight to be removed. I probably could have done 1.5", and still been able to balance by moving the battery up.

The net weight loss was 1.5 oz. - from 20 to 18.5. She flies much better. I should see even more improvement when my new 1300mah 25C batteries show up next week - these old, wore out 10C's are probably not allowing me to develop full power.

Also, I picked up some small American Flags to try a Flag fly, both fuselage mounted & banner towed.

Note the crashworthiness of the Coroplast after my patented "nose in, bouncing & cartwheeling" landing. This thing is bulletproof! Now if I could only make it resistant to my thumbs ...
HAHA!! Nicely done!! I had thought about extending the nose, but the foam version balances out with no added weight, just have to have everything further forward than I wanted originally. I do like to see different approaches to things, my answer is to just add a bigger motor lol, I like useable weight

Jon
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
Old May 26, 2011, 05:07 PM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Hi funbat fans,

I saw the Flitetest video on youtube talking about combat and foam built planes. The funbat looked like a great first project. I had the elmer's foam board laying around from my kids projects, and on a rainy Saturday afternoon, printed out the plans and cut the pieces. 1 1/2 hours time and everything was dry fit and prototyped. Then, through the parts bin, I got a 2000KV in runner, 30A HK Plush ESC, 3S 1000mAh, 2 9g HK HXT900, 3Ch Flysky from an RC car, linked to my Turnigy 9X. I had a broken CF spar that I glued and inserted a center rod reinforcement into, glued into the fold over wing. Elmer's glue and a little CF on the servos. Velcro for the ESC and Battery. 1/8 triplex ply for the nose box / motor mount. Mine was outside the foam fuse as opposed to nicely inside the foam fuse. 6X4 prop, push rods and clevis pins etc... Tape hinges with some good 3M surgical tape. CG was spot on from the first attempt at 1.75" right on the spar.

The kids and wife did the paint job with markers. Total time 5-6 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/user/b6s4shel.../2/gEieQ0Bx5UQ

This video is the second flight as I was hyped up and forgot to hand over my iPhone to film the maiden. Dailed in 30% dual rates on ailerons and 50% on the elevator after maiden flight. She flew great. Thanks Bloody Micks!
Very nice colors (thats why I color my planes not my wife and kids lol) Looked great in the air!! thanks for sharing!!! Keep the pics and vids coming guys.

Jon
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
Old May 26, 2011, 09:36 PM
Joined Oct 2010
496 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbUEM20vNdY
Thank you for your mention of memorial day which is coming up Monday.
USN Chief Olin West

I will maiden mine as soon as it stops raining

P.S.
Here is my funbat

exceed alpha 370 motor
hk ss 18a esc.....mounted on outside of fuse.
spektrum AR6100e rx.....also mounted on outside
epp 10x3.8p prop
800mah 20c 2s to start.....ive never flown a plane just heli's and quadcopters
1300mah 20c 3s for when i get the feel for it and want to go faster.

rollinolin is offline Find More Posts by rollinolin
Last edited by rollinolin; May 26, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old May 27, 2011, 04:01 PM
Joined Apr 2010
3 Posts
Hi there,

I have been cutting out some Funbats for some fellow club members in 6mm depron.
I have cut out all the bevels marked on the plans but when I went to fold the front of the wing back the bevel only allows me to fold it to 90 degrees. Trying to fold it flat as it should be breaks the join and leaves the 2 bevels as a leading edge.

Any help would be appreciated.

I hope i havn't cut 3 planes the wrong way.

Craig
Xkooda is offline Find More Posts by Xkooda
Old May 28, 2011, 07:48 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkooda View Post
Hi there,

I have been cutting out some Funbats for some fellow club members in 6mm depron.
I have cut out all the bevels marked on the plans but when I went to fold the front of the wing back the bevel only allows me to fold it to 90 degrees. Trying to fold it flat as it should be breaks the join and leaves the 2 bevels as a leading edge.

Craig
Craig, I had the same issue. If you take the bevel edge a little more outside the original dotted lines and create some more space between the 2 beveled edges then you will have additional material to use as fold over space. Visualize the leading edge, you'll see that the edge needs a curve. So help bend the leading edge of the bevel up to create the curve. Also depron is not similar to foam board where you have a paper outer layer and cut the foam away. Both materials behave differently.
Patience is key in shaping the leading edge. Chip away slowly to get the right bend.
Harold
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old May 28, 2011, 01:39 PM
Joined Mar 2006
463 Posts
What do you guys all use for streamers? I'm looking for something readily available in stores/DiY with materials available in Europe...
MartinT is online now Find More Posts by MartinT
Old May 28, 2011, 03:51 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
I use Crepe Paper Streamers from the Dollar Store - it's $1 for 2 80' rolls & comes in a variety of colors.

Tied on with dental floss - free samples from the dentist.
Old May 28, 2011, 05:59 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,296 Posts
Quote:
I use Crepe Paper Streamers from the Dollar Store - it's $1 for 2 80' rolls & comes in a variety of colors.

Tied on with dental floss - free samples from the dentist.

What/where on the plane are you attaching it?
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 28, 2011, 06:08 PM
Joined Oct 2010
496 Posts
So what do you all think of my set up? will it fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinolin View Post
Thank you for your mention of memorial day which is coming up Monday.
USN Chief Olin West

I will maiden mine as soon as it stops raining

P.S.
Here is my funbat

exceed alpha 370 motor
hk ss 18a esc.....mounted on outside of fuse.
spektrum AR6100e rx.....also mounted on outside
epp 10x3.8p prop
800mah 20c 2s to start.....ive never flown a plane just heli's and quadcopters
1300mah 20c 3s for when i get the feel for it and want to go faster.

rollinolin is offline Find More Posts by rollinolin
Old May 28, 2011, 06:10 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,296 Posts
Sure, it should fly just fine.

What's the kv on that motor?

Nice paint scheme, looks familar
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 28, 2011, 07:08 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
What/where on the plane are you attaching it?
I have drilled a hole at the very end of the fuselage, going through both sides = just tie a loop at the end of your string/floss and thread it through. That way you can reuse it.

Now, keep in mind my plane is made from Coroplast. You foamer's would need to reinforce the hole, so it doesn't wear through. Perhaps glue in a small piece of pushrod keeper or some sort of rigid tube perpendicular to the fuse, or glue small washers to each side?

You can see the streamer in action in my earlier post.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=49

Hope this helps!
Last edited by gatorlynch; May 28, 2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old May 28, 2011, 09:34 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkooda View Post
Hi there,

Craig
My first cut had the same issue. I could not bend it over. I just cut it all the way through and glued it flat then took a hobby knife and shaped the front leading edge. I lost about 4mm of wind by doing this. Then I used Welder glue and it melted the pink foam so I junked that wing and cut another one. This time I cut to all the way through from the start and shaped the leading edge so it isn't flat. I don't think it matters as much if it's folded or cut so long as you have the basic kfm2 airfoil?
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience