United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
For a LARGER version Maybe !

Thats is a serious motor !

Bob

I have one that is a bit bigger that is to go in the Big Flat Ultimate when I build that one.

The one listed above was suppose to go in my SuperCub. I still have to get an esc and new receiver before I can do that.
Mopower71 is online now Find More Posts by Mopower71
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:40 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopower71 View Post
Another question.
Carbon fiber, or wood dowel for the spar, or does it matter?
For starters, are you removing all of the paper from the $ Tree foam? I did and covered mine in packing tape. I also cut my step free from the wing and just glued and sanded like WombatControl described above.The front half of the fuse has Extreme tape inside and out. I used a wood dowel for my spar but it's embedded in the foam. If you already folded over the wing, you can put a CF flat strip or square tube on the back edge of the step.

As for the power system, this thing will fly with a 24g motor. I have a 2408-21 that was just lying around and that takes it to 60-70mph. I would suggest a 150W, 1600kv motor or so.

Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:52 PM
Corsir Crasher
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
The paper is still on and I have cut for the fold, but have not glued anything yet. I was going to just shoot some paint over the paper.
Still not sure on what glue to use either.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:53 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,485 Posts
If you are gong to be building a BUNCH then you need lots of foam

Take a look at MPF Model Plane foam.

There is a whole thread on the stuff and it's great quality and cheap.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533245

Or I'll cut some for you :-)

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:02 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,913 Posts
Like the shameless plug Bob Perhaps you could sell him a Falcon kit to go with that Park 480 motor?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1641373&pp=100
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:12 PM
Corsir Crasher
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
If you are gong to be building a BUNCH then you need lots of foam

Take a look at MPF Model Plane foam.

There is a whole thread on the stuff and it's great quality and cheap.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533245

Or I'll cut some for you :-)

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
I have grabbed a bunch of dollar store foam, and plan on building one more as a back up.
The club I belong to wants to have a combat at the annual picnic. They decided to do a flying wing that looks like a triangle. Using the ailerons as the elevator too. I wanted something different, and easier to fly for a beginner like me. So they are allowing other designs for this go around. I have seen one of the wings fly, and it needed more tweaking,the other two I saw were a bit beat up, so I'm guessing they aren't as easy to fly.
I am hoping the Funbat is easier for me.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:14 PM
Corsir Crasher
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Like the shameless plug Bob
Andy

I was going to say something, but didn't.

I was looking at the cutout service.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,134 Posts
Quote:
I have grabbed a bunch of dollar store foam, and plan on building one more as a back up.
The club I belong to wants to have a combat at the annual picnic. They decided to do a flying wing that looks like a triangle. Using the ailerons as the elevator too. I wanted something different, and easier to fly for a beginner like me. So they are allowing other designs for this go around. I have seen one of the wings fly, and it needed more tweaking,the other two I saw were a bit beat up, so I'm guessing they aren't as easy to fly.
I am hoping the Funbat is easier for me.
If you want a tough plane, leave the paper on. You might also wrap the leading edge in Extreme tape. Definitely use some Extreme tape on the front half of the fuse. Mine is built for fun, not combat. I think I save about 3 oz. by removing the paper. If you can, place a carbon arrow shaft where the plans show the spar.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:07 PM
Corsir Crasher
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
Would something like this work?
http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001225001

Trying to pick out a cheap but powerful enough motor/esc for this. VTO would be real cool.

Or this
http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224163
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:22 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,485 Posts
well at least I Plugged somebody else 1st :-}

mpf IS GOOD STUFF
Bob
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:41 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Would something like this work?
http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001225001

Trying to pick out a cheap but powerful enough motor/esc for this. VTO would be real cool.

Or this
http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224163
That would work. Or you could use this one. I don't know if most people are using prop savers but I use one on mine. It's impossible to keep the prop off the ground on a belly lander. I think the smaller motors have a threaded shaft which might bend easily. Definitely use with a prop saver and cut the excess shaft off.
Last edited by chris1379; Jul 02, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:10 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Quote:

I have one that is a bit bigger that is to go in the Big Flat Ultimate when I build that one.

The one listed above was suppose to go in my SuperCub. I still have to get an esc and new receiver before I can do that.
build that BFU!!!tons of fun
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:56 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,326 Posts
So over the weekend I drew up a set of plans for a .7 scale Funbat. 19.25" wingspan, 1/8"x3/8" solid oak spar. 2 HXT 500 servos, 2900kv Strong Motor, with Turnigy 10amp plush ESC (will be getting a larger one since it seems to stumble with this motor some). 5x5 prop. 700mah 3s pack.

total flying weight comes in at 205 grams. This should be interesting. its all made from Readi-Board. Didnt want to do Orange on this one. I seem to use orange a lot and wanted something diffferent. Pen was called "Desert Rose", but looks like raspberry sherbet to me.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:30 AM
Australia, QLD, Brighton
Joined Sep 2006
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastZeroOne View Post
So over the weekend I drew up a set of plans for a .7 scale Funbat. 19.25" wingspan, 1/8"x3/8" solid oak spar. 2 HXT 500 servos, 2900kv Strong Motor, with Turnigy 10amp plush ESC (will be getting a larger one since it seems to stumble with this motor some). 5x5 prop. 700mah 3s pack.

total flying weight comes in at 205 grams. This should be interesting. its all made from Readi-Board. Didnt want to do Orange on this one. I seem to use orange a lot and wanted something diffferent. Pen was called "Desert Rose", but looks like raspberry sherbet to me.

Hey mate, great work. I love this plane. I use a 10 amp speed controller http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...1A%5FUBEC.html

which i have taped to the top centre of the wing about 2" back from the trailing edge. One would think I did this for cooling but the thing never gets hot, even when mounted inside the fuselage.

I use this motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Outrunner.html

I use a slow flyer 7x4 prop and 11.1v 1000mah 3s batteries. these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-RC-11-...item3cc505bbe7

1 out of the four batteries lost a cell to low voltage but the others so far work fine.

I mention all this because my full size funbat was 150grams before 75gram lipo so 225grams AUW.. It climbs vertical at 3/4 throttle and will stay airborne just under 1/2 throttle. It will also almost land vertically if i hold full up and adjust throttle to about 1/3. Going to make one for my dad.
lemuel is offline Find More Posts by lemuel
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:09 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,326 Posts
on my 27.5" I use a big 1050mah 3s with a Turnigy 1600kv motor spinning a 7x3 prop. thing is a rocket ship at 1/2 throttle.

im not sure how good this will do since it seem heavy for how small it is.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne