HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 03:19 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
All my FB's from my 16.5"er to my 39" version have been built with a KFm-4 wing and all fly brilliantly. They all track really well and laugh in the face of windy conditions. The small versions is a wee bit twitchy, the bigun is more of a floater, which I reckon would slope soar with it's lighter wing loading but the best compromise is the original version. I also extended the nose on all of mine.
Andy
I can't believe I didn't notice that. I tried KFm-4 on my Blue Funder but it never did fly quite right with the KFm-2 or 4. I think it was just a matter of getting air over the very short tail.

Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 02:14 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman72 View Post
Nice Andy.
Going to have to do a quick tape on lower step and give it throw.
Noticed you had twin aileron servos on your large Funbat. Do you do any funky flaperon mixing or just aileron only.
Thanks Jayman
No funky flap mixes. I just thought I needed 2 x 9gram HXT900's in view of the size of the model. I've not flown it much as it's less agile than the other two.It certainly can't compete with my mini one. Here is it's maiden flight just in case you missed my earlier post. She now has some nice new 450 25c 3 cell packs providing the juice so even more zip
Funbat Mini maiden flight (3 min 29 sec)

My bigun' might be employed as an aerial video platform when the weather improves
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old May 05, 2012, 02:48 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,157 Posts
Well, I don't think I'll be using my Funbat Maxi for aerial vids after all. The NTM 35-36A 1800 KV monster on 4 cells & 8x6 proved too much for the airframe and she suffered a catastrophic failure of the wing to fuse joint. Dawn darted and front smashed in. The 2650 mAh 4 cell took a real beating so will be disposed of. If anybody is contemplating a high power version, I would suggest fiber glassing the wing to fuse joint or at least using extreme bi-directional tape.
The wing survived without any damage and I might build another bigun if the motor has survived.
Here's the video. I suggest those of a nervous disposition should look away at 18 secs It was a rocket ship while it lasted.
Funbat Maxi terminal crash (2 min 6 sec)

Andy
Old May 05, 2012, 04:36 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
787 Posts
Yikes! Headless, I have never seen that happen. Sorry for your loss but what a great flyer it was......briefly.

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old May 05, 2012, 05:04 PM
Note to self, put on pants.
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Andy !
That is not a pretty site at all. Hope the motor can be used still.
The positive you can take from it is that at least the camera gear wasn't on it at the time.
Lesson learned for all of us to keep an eye on that join.

Jamie
Jayman72 is offline Find More Posts by Jayman72
Old May 06, 2012, 12:18 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Well, I don't think I'll be using my Funbat Maxi for aerial vids after all. The NTM 35-36A 1800 KV monster on 4 cells & 8x6 proved too much for the airframe and she suffered a catastrophic failure of the wing to fuse joint. Dawn darted and front smashed in. The 2650 mAh 4 cell took a real beating so will be disposed of. If anybody is contemplating a high power version, I would suggest fiber glassing the wing to fuse joint or at least using extreme bi-directional tape.
The wing survived without any damage and I might build another bigun if the motor has survived.
Here's the video. I suggest those of a nervous disposition should look away at 18 secs It was a rocket ship while it lasted.

Andy
Sorry to see that happen (although it was entertaining). I was thinking of a way to mount the wing to the fuselage so that some type of hardware passes through the wing and holds the top of it. Maybe you could use some wooden blocks secured to the sides of the fuse with nylon screws passing through the wing and threading into nuts on the bottom of the blocks. You could add a thin sheet of light ply to the top of the wing to distribute the load. Maybe even glass the top of the wing. Look at the way balsa planes are built. Your wing would also be removable.

Chris
Old May 06, 2012, 01:33 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,157 Posts
Hi Chris
I had originally thought about making the wing removable to make it easier to transport but didn't seem much point as the wing and tail are one piece. However, I don't see a reason why the main wind couldn't be separate from everything behind the trailing edge. I use captive nuts in hard balsa blocks and nylon bolts through ply wing plates on my 48" BluCub so I don't see why this shouldn't work on the Maxi
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=551
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=558
The wing escaped with zero damage so it wouldn't take long to build a new fuse incorporating the mods above. Time to break out the depron.
Andy
Old May 06, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Apr 2011
20 Posts
FunBat Inspired (what do you think?)

I love the FunBat idea... I'm very new to scratch builds and actually haven't yet built this myself... but having a box full of 18x24 yellow coroplast.... I couldn't actually do the FunBat as designed due to not having the proper size the the wing length....

So I got creative and started with 3 pieces of coroplast... still not sure how it's going to end up (especially the tail section) But I'd love to hear what some people think of this modification of the original funbat? I'll be changing out the triangular fuselage for a square one due to wanting to mount a GoPro eventually etc...

I haven't glued anything yet until I decide on exactly what I want to do. Just taped it to hold shape for now. Love to hear any thoughts on this? Especially being new to scratch builds etc.

Here are some pics
mvaller00 is offline Find More Posts by mvaller00
Old May 07, 2012, 01:48 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,157 Posts
Hi Mike
I would go for it but here are my observations.
one word "heavy" as it looks like you are using 3 or 4mm. I would add floppy but I imagine you plan to push some carbon tubes down the flutes to stiffen that wing and tail up. It will no doubt fly, and be nearly indestructible (perhaps I should have built my Funbat Maxi out of correx) with enough motor but then you will need a heavier pack to supply the amps or have short flight times. The tail looks out of proportion to the wing chord but only one way of knowing if it will work is to fly it.
I started out with correx flying wings (Mugi Evo,Correx zagi etc) and I've still got a couple of wings from defunct trainer style planes. I also used correx to beef up my 28" Skyray. I've got access to 2.4 x 1.2 m sheets of 2mm for peanuts but I now use depron for most of my builds as it's lighter and easier to build with. I learned that you don't build to crash, you build to fly.
There is a whole section on RC Groups called SPAD - Simple Plastic Airplane Designs dedicated to correx builds but most exponents are using i.c. as their motive power.
http://www.rcgroups.com/spad-simple-...e-designs-176/ so I would see if anyone has posted something similar to the Funbat. It's easier if you use the "Thread tools" "Show attachments" as you can view pictures to i.d what you are looking for.
Good luck and keep us posted
Old May 07, 2012, 04:51 AM
Note to self, put on pants.
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
The guys at flitetest just did a large Funbat out of coroplast. We call it coreflute in Aus.
http://flitetest.com/articles/Paintball_Challenge

Jamie
Jayman72 is offline Find More Posts by Jayman72
Old May 07, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Apr 2011
20 Posts
Thanks for input.....it's very much appriciated. i thought it would be heavy too but was hoping the lisf those wings would make would help.... but we'll have to see. Since i havent done a bild per say before this should be an experince on more than one level i'm sure. lol

Thanks again!

Quote:
Hi Mike
I would go for it but here are my observations.
one word "heavy" as it looks like you are using 3 or 4mm. I would add floppy but I imagine you plan to push some carbon tubes down the flutes to stiffen that wing and tail up. It will no doubt fly, and be nearly indestructible (perhaps I should have built my Funbat Maxi out of correx) with enough motor but then you will need a heavier pack to supply the amps or have short flight times. The tail looks out of proportion to the wing chord but only one way of knowing if it will work is to fly it.
I started out with correx flying wings (Mugi Evo,Correx zagi etc) and I've still got a couple of wings from defunct trainer style planes. I also used correx to beef up my 28" Skyray. I've got access to 2.4 x 1.2 m sheets of 2mm for peanuts but I now use depron for most of my builds as it's lighter and easier to build with. I learned that you don't build to crash, you build to fly.
There is a whole section on RC Groups called SPAD - Simple Plastic Airplane Designs dedicated to correx builds but most exponents are using i.c. as their motive power.
http://www.rcgroups.com/spad-simple-...e-designs-176/ so I would see if anyone has posted something similar to the Funbat. It's easier if you use the "Thread tools" "Show attachments" as you can view pictures to i.d what you are looking for.
Good luck and keep us posted
Old May 07, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Apr 2011
20 Posts
Yeah..... i saw that video they did on test flite.... i would have loved to know more on that build. Thats actually what got me interested in doing this build. Funny you mention it.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:36 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,680 Posts
This thing is getting to be very popular.
Another 9 shipped !

Thank you Guys.

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old May 07, 2012, 12:41 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaller00 View Post
I love the FunBat idea... I'm very new to scratch builds and actually haven't yet built this myself... but having a box full of 18x24 yellow coroplast.... I couldn't actually do the FunBat as designed due to not having the proper size the the wing length....

So I got creative and started with 3 pieces of coroplast... still not sure how it's going to end up (especially the tail section) But I'd love to hear what some people think of this modification of the original funbat? I'll be changing out the triangular fuselage for a square one due to wanting to mount a GoPro eventually etc...

I haven't glued anything yet until I decide on exactly what I want to do. Just taped it to hold shape for now. Love to hear any thoughts on this? Especially being new to scratch builds etc.

Here are some pics
The wing area is quite a bit less because the trailing edge isn't tapered. It looks like the Flight Test guys kept the original shape. If you can't do that, you may want to increase the wing chord so it's the same as the root across the whole length. That should give you more area than the original shape without much extra weight. Good luck with your build.

Chris
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
21 Posts
I plan on using a 9x5 prop with a 1410kv motor and a 3s 1800mah 20c battery.
Anyone else using a similar setup?
Will I need a bigger funbat?
ahyuan is offline Find More Posts by ahyuan